CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Antennae with iPhone 5

A question for the experts. I have a Telstra Smart Antennae and all was good in terms of boosting the signal inside of the until I upgraded to the iPhone 5 (the older model - not the new one)

I am finding that if I have the Enable 4G option turned on I only get 1 bar of service whilst only direct line of sight meters from the repeater. If I turn it off it jumps to 4 bars.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions as to what may be the issue??

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Telstra Smart Antennae with iPhone 5

Simply put, the device provides 3G coverage (NextG 850Mhz), not 4G.

Please note: Telstra Mobile Smart Antenna operates on the 850MHz Next G part of the Telstra Mobile Network. Telstra Mobile Smart Antenna is not designed to improve Telstra 4G coverage, so if you have a 4G device, you will only experience improved coverage from Telstra Mobile Smart Antenna for:

• voice calling (provided that your device uses 850MHz Next G for voice calls)
  • mobile data, but only where your device is using Telstra's 850MHz Next G Mobile Network for its mobile data connection (e.g. if you're not in a Telstra 4G coverage area or you have configured your device so that it only connects to Telstra's 850MHz Next G Mobile Network for mobile data).

Taken from - http://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/smart-antenna-explained

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Telstra Smart Antennae with iPhone 5

Thank you for the quick reply but I understood the limitations of the TSMA but I still am not clear on the issue with the iPhone.

My assumption is working towards having the 4G option set on the iPhone appears to make the TSMA redundant.

I would like my assumptions clarified if possible.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more