Highlighted
chrisRup
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Tough Max 3G Issue

Answered
I have just bought a new Tough Max and having signal issues. My old iPhone 4 worked fine at home on 3G without an issue but now the tough max is always on edge at home but when I'm in Horsham I get a 4G signal without issue. Seems like the phone doesn't want to fail over to 3G when 4G is unavailable. I have looked at the network options and don't see a 3G option, all I see is gsm, wcdma, and LTE. I currently have it set to gsm, wcdma, LTE auto.

Suggestions appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
chrisRup
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Tough Max 3G Issue

Now it is working no thanks to the Telstra faults team.

I had to go into the network options and change the option to GSM, WCDMA only (n other words only accet 2G and 3G networks) and then power cycle the phone to force it into 3G mode. Then I went back into the network options and changed it back to GSM, WCDMA, LTE auto and power cycled the phone again and it worked this time, now I have full 4G reception.

The only thing that I can think would cause this issue is a glitch when the network registers my phone on the tower that it musn't have detected me leaving the previous 4G tower and the only way to force it to work was to force it to register on a different network and then back onto the 4GX LTE network.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi ChrisRup, 

This is rather frustrating to hear. Have you checked in with our Mobile Support team either by calling 132200 or via Live Chat  http://tel.st/gq6m for some assistance? 

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

chrisRup

Well that was utterly useless, nearly an hour on the phone and a tech claiming an alignment problem at the 4G tower in town which he supposedly fixed which made no difference to my phone at all, and his only advice to take it back into the store and have them take a look at it. No explanation why the 4GX isnt working and why it is going to EDGE instead of failing over to 3G. Now half to take an hour round trip back into town and spend even more time at the store, and the store doesn't even keep this phone in stock so not like they will be able to exchange it if it is faulty without me needing to go without a phone while they order in a replacement if the issue is in the phone.

The strange thing is that 4GX worked in Horsham as I walked out of the store with the phone and the issue is only here in Rupanyup which seems strange to me. I also know it can't be an issue affecting all 3GX services as my other 4GX device (Samsung Tablet) works fine on 4G without an issue right next to my Telstra Tough Max.

chrisRup
Accepted Solution

Now it is working no thanks to the Telstra faults team.

I had to go into the network options and change the option to GSM, WCDMA only (n other words only accet 2G and 3G networks) and then power cycle the phone to force it into 3G mode. Then I went back into the network options and changed it back to GSM, WCDMA, LTE auto and power cycled the phone again and it worked this time, now I have full 4G reception.

The only thing that I can think would cause this issue is a glitch when the network registers my phone on the tower that it musn't have detected me leaving the previous 4G tower and the only way to force it to work was to force it to register on a different network and then back onto the 4GX LTE network.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now