DGAT
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra smart modem gen 2 NAT settings

I had a Telstra smart modem gen 1 hooked to nbn and NAT settings were OPEN. Moved house and got sent a Telstra smart modem gen 2 and now the NAT setting is STRICT. How is this remedied as I have put the old gen 1 modem back on. Reason is when I am gaming, I can’t hear my team members clearly and I believe this is directly related to the NAT settings. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra smart modem gen 2 NAT settings

Normally the required game ports will be opened automatically using UPNP.  First check that UPNP is enabled in the modem. Log into modem http://192.168.0.1 (admin/Telstra)

If you have the Arcadyan modem go to Advanced > Local Network > UPNP

If you have the Technicolor modem go to Advanced > WAN Services > UPNP

If UPNP is enable then required ports will have to be enabled manually

Arcadyan go to Advanced > Firewall > Port forwarding.

Technicolor go to Basic > Services > Port Forwarding

David_Dickinson
Level 2: Rookie

I too have an issue with Telstra Smart Modem, and trying to play xbox through the network.

I have done the port forwarding to one device, however multiple devices need to access the same ports so that they can connect to xbox live.

Is there a way to turn NAT completely off, or be able to open the ports so that multiple IP addresses can access?

There is no way to turn NAT off or forward the same port to several IP addresses on your Network. On some apps you can go into the settings and change the ports that the apps use.

https://portforward.com/portforward-two-xboxes/default.htm
David_Dickinson

Thanks @cf4
I can confirm that even Telstra premium support struggled to help me out with the issue.

Do you know if it is possible to run the following set up -
Telstra Smart modem connected to the wall so that VOIP is active, and handles the connection to the NBN.

Connecting another router to the smart modem, and having the new router handle all DHCP for the entire network.

Would this eliminate my NAT issue?

You could use another modem router connected to the wall and connect Telstra modem to one of the LAN ports of the non party Telstra modem router. This configuration should work without any special setting in the non Telstra modem. If VOIP doesn't work check that SIP algae is turned off in non Telstra router. Turn off WiFi on Telstra modem and connect all your devices to the non Telstra modem router.

If you were to connect another router to the Tetra modem you would have to bridge the Telstra modem or else you will have double NAT which will stop port forwarding working. In bridge mode phone doesn't work.
Highlighted
Jo1301

Having the same problem, found that when I tethered my Telstra iPhone to the Xbox One I had no issue whatsoever connecting to Xbox 360 emulator Live account - using my wired connection on my Gen 2 Smart Modem would not allow any connection. Interestingly the NAT was Open when wired, and Moderate when tethered to iPhone. Would love some input from Telstra as to why this seems to be an issue for the Gen 2 modem?

Tang1

I too have an issue with Telstra Smart Modem, and trying to play xbox through the network.

I have done the port forwarding to one device

David_Dickinson - would you be able to share how you do this port forwarding thing for an Xbox One!  I have found the port forwarding in the router settings - but it is all way too technical for me to work out what to do next

Which modem do you have. If you have the Technicolor modem the Gen 2 has almost identical GUI to the original smart Modem. See section 9 of the document linked in this post for instructions on how to set up port forwarding and port forward these ports to the LAN address of your Xbox.

• Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)
  • Port 500 (UDP)
  • Port 3544 (UDP)
  • Port 4500 (UDP)

Create a separate rule for each port using same WAN and LAN port and different name for each rule. For ports 3047 and 53 select TCP/UDP as protocol.

If you have the Arcadyan modem after setting up static address for Xbox in Advanced > Local Network > Static Leases go to Advanced > Firewall > Port Forwarding. Create a separate rule for each port using same WAN and LAN port and different name for each rule. For ports 3047 and 53 select Both as protocol.

Tang1

Thanks for your help......I have the newer modem - Arcadyan.

So, for example - for Port 88 UDP

Do I change the port forwarding to Console - and then click on Xbox Live -UDP.

Then type 88 in WAN and 88 in Lan.

What do I type into Destination IP??

And then I add another rule?? etc etc for each Port??

Yes and you type in the LAN IP address of the Xbox in the Destination IP.

Before setting up the port forwarding should make sure this is static by setting up a static address for the Xbox (Advanced > Local Network > Static Leases)

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more