CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Ger-K
Level 1: Cadet

Unable to connect to a mobile data network

I have recently returned home from an overseas trip to Germany, where I had a cover-more global sim card in my phone. For it to work I had to install a new profile. and now that I have returned back to Australia and inserted my Telstra sim, it is saying that it is unable to connect to a mobile data network.

I have reset my phone and reset network settings numerous times, still not working. In general settings there is no heading saying "profile" or "device management" so cannot delete an old profile.

I purchased a replacement sim, hoping that would fix the problem but didn't change anything.

This morning I backed up my phone to iTunes and erased all content and settings off my iPhone, then restored from backup, but is still not connecting to a network.

I have already spent hours on the phone to Telstra but they have no idea what to do, they could only blame it on possible outages in the area.

Is there anything else I can try to get my phone working again?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

Re: Unable to connect to a mobile data network

Hi @Ger-K

Another Poster was in a similar situation with that type of SIM, where it seemed to install a 'hidden' profile and he was able to resolve it:
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Apple-iPhone-7-7-Plus/Can-t-access-mobile-data-after-holiday-...

That same thread has a post by another user who was able to use an app called "Apple Configurator 2" to resolve it as well. His post contains a link to a whirlpool topic that discusses it

See how you go with either of those

Chris

Telstra Platinum Tech Support

Icon image for Telstra Platinum

---------------------------------------
I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

Telstra Platinum

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Ger-K some excellent suggestions provided above, see how you go and do let us know if you are unable to resolve.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Ger-K

I have read through lots of threads from other people with the same issue, they all sound like great answers but for some reason none seem to work for me.
I have tried installing a new APN from the suggested website but it is saying, “profile installation failed, only one APN configuration can be installed at a time.”
I’m a bit lost of where to go from here. I have been on the phone to Telstra for hours and hours and they can’t seem to help me. They keep saying it is due to an outage but I have been in a few different areas over the last few days where there hasn’t been any outages and everyone else around me doesn’t have any issues with connecting to data.
I really hope I can get this issue resolved soon because I’m away working all the time and need my phone for work.
Thanks
Level 21: Augmented

@Ger-K, Do factory reset and do not restore from backup... Then gradually install everything you had installed etc... If you restore from backup, you will get all the "filth" (sorry for the term, but I loathe Apple) back...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Ger-K

So once I’ve erased all content and settings, do I have to set it up as a new phone then? Does that mean I’ve lost everything off of my phone? Sorry I’m not very good with all this technology stuff.

Yes, that's what I would do... The only Apple marketed device I own is iPhone and that's only because it was years ago provided by my employer and after spending money on apps etc., I am now tied to it. So whenever I have really big problem with you, I set it up as a new phone and then gradually get everything back by re-installing and downloading etc... Restoring from backup never worked for me satisfactorily...I know, it is probably not the best way and can be tedious with perhaps some loss of data, but better than nothing...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Ger-K

Thank you very much for your suggestion, I will definitely give it a try!
Once I have set it up as a new phone, is there any possible way of getting photos back on my phone. Apps I’m not worried about because I can reinstall them.

Backup your photos somewhere to the cloud first... I think (but not using it, so not 100% sure) that iCloud will sync them back to Phone if you enable it... I am syncing my photos to Microsoft OneDrive and removing them from the phone after that, so they do not take memory...

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more