CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Understanding and activating the International Day Pass

Hi there I am currently overseas in the UK and have enabled the IDP.....I have not as yet used this for overseas calls or text and have my phone (Samsung s8)in flight mode 24/7 despite this I have already clocked up over $80 of roaming charges can anyone tell me how this can be please ??

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Understanding and activating the International Day Pass

It shouldn't be getting charged unless there is an app that is using mobile data despite being on airplane mode (which is possible). You will need to check the mobile data usage in the settings of your phone to identify if any apps have used mobile data.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi there and thank you for the reply....my mobile data is currently switched off so I'm not sure how this would happen ..how do i check if any apps are using mobile data ?

Highlighted

Go to Settings->Connections->Data Usage->Mobile Data Usage

This will show which apps are using mobile data and allow you to turn their data usage off.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Don't know about Samsung, but I would not be surprised if it is same as iPhone... The flight mode is not completely bullet proof way of disabling data... And on Apple not even disabling data in settings... Apple still uses bit of data now and then - BUT last time I was in Europe, it was something like 50c worth in five weeks. So check your Samsung and disable data properly, do not rely on flight mode...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more