CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Using Prepaid Mobile Broadband Overseas

I have a Telstra (ZTE MF91) wifi mobile broadband unit which works fine in Australia. I purchased a Global Plus Pack and went to Italy and France for three weeks. When I turned on the ZTE wifi modem it would not connect in either country. On return to Australia I complained and the cost of the Global Plus Pack was refunded immediately. However, the operator could not tell me why it did not work, nor what I can do when overseas to make it work.

I am now going to USA and Canada and plan to buy another Global Plus Pack.

What do I do from startup? According to the local Telstra shop, simply turn it on, it will find a 'friendly' ISP and away you go. Not so fast!

How do you log into an ISP which has reciprocal rights with Telstra?

Do you have to log into a 'Device Webpage' to select operators?

I have searched Crowd Support and many Google items, and NOTHING instructs the user how this process works.

Telstra could do itself a favour and start a new topic!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Re: Using Prepaid Mobile Broadband Overseas

Hi Crawfz, I have been travelling overseas for the last few years and had the same problems. I may have this wrong, but this is how I understand it.
Telstra has a number of mail platforms, and as a long established ISP, some are older, but very reliable, mail platforms. From a lay mans understanding, there are 2 basic mail platform concepts, a Client/Server architecture (which you most likely have,especially if you have had the same email for many years, and consistent with your problem), and a web based mail server, simplistically, email addresses such as gmail, iCloud etc are web based servers.

With a Client/server account, you can go overseas, but to get and send mail you need to delete and re-create your email account in each new country, which I appreciate is a real pain.

The answer is - use an iPad (but really the same advice applies to a laptop with a mobile broadband device such as what you have) and establish a free iCloud or gMail email address. Set up your mail accounts such that the global web based account (ie iCloud or gMail) is your default outgoing mail server. For incoming mail you can either add your Telstra or other client/server mail accounts to your pc's incoming mail, or go into Telstra's "manage mailboxes" and forward you client/server account(s) to the iCloud account

When travelling, your outgoing mail, Facebook and other applications use the web based account for outgoing mail or postings etc, and your normal incoming email is received as normal.

On my most recent tripI purchased an international roaming pack (prepaid or post paid is the same, mine is post paid but that is not an issue). I had an $85 (I think, but I could have the price wrong) 300 MB pack which is valid for 30 days. I was very happy with the pack, you bypassed the queues at the wifi cafés, and 300MB is adequate for all your email, and a few Facebook posts (photos) each day. Telstra send an SMS each time you use 20 MB, and the Telstra usage details line up pretty well with the cellular data usage measured by my phone - I had a double check on exactly how I stood on a daily basis. I had a couple of problems with the billing on return, mainly because I was away for more than 30 days and purchased a new pack a day or so before the previous pack ran out, and the costs and usage records for the first pack were overwritten in the Telstra system. Telstra refunded me the overcharge quite readily, but I am not sure if the problem is fixed.
Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi Crawfz, meant to add - process! You purchase the international data pack on your mobile. You then turn on your mobiles personal hotspot and "pair" or "tether" your computer to the phone, you do not need to take your modem. For voice calls, use Skype via this pairing, few voice calls a week will still fit into your monthly 300MB allowance
Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Hi,

Get it unlocked and then get a local Prepaid data SIM in the USA...  Lower cost and less issues.

Regards,

D.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more