JumpUp
Level 1: Cadet

Using a EU SIm for international roaming data

I was told by a telstra sales person that I could use an overseas sim in my phone while I was overseas in Italy. I have purchased a sim and it works in other people's phones but not my telstra connected mobile  I get messages from telstra telling me about international roaming day pass but when I inserted my EU SIm it does not work. Can someone out there help me sort this as the $10 a day for 200mb is far too expensive. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Using a EU SIm for international roaming data

Hi JumpUp,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you're having with international roaming and can appreciate the frustration here.

It sounds like your Telstra phone may be locked to the Telstra network which is why you're unable to use EU SIM.

What handset are you using?

Please let me know.

- Matty

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

JumpUp

Thank you for offering to help me out I have a Sony Xperia ZX 

Support Team
Support Team

No worries JumpUp, 

You can have this looked into with our live chat team (8.00am - 9.00pm AEST) as they will be able to confirm and unlock this with you.

Alternatively you can reach us on +61 439 125 888 if you're calling from overseas as they will be able to unlock your handset. Please note that there may be a charge involved.

We have more information on our website about how you can go about this as well.

Let me know how you go.

- Matty 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
JumpUp

Thanks Matt, 

I did try the international help line I was on hold for over an hour and hung up after waiting so long when the recorded message told me there would only be a 20 minute wait.... So I don't fancy calling again from here in Italy especially if I am going to be charged. I will try the chat option. 

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now