CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
sarvowinner
Level 1: Cadet

Very slow download speeds but fast uploads on 4G

We are travelling around Australia and arrived in Exmouth WA on Friday afternoon.  We have three devices on Telstra - 2 iPhones postpaid and 1 iPad prepaid.  On all devices we are receiving ridiculously low download speeds of below 1 Mbps while upload speeds vary between 9.45 Mbps and 21 Mbps.  We are on three bars of 4G.  I have spoken to Telstra Tech Support twice - on Saturday and today.  After resetting our network settings, there is no improvement.  No outages have been reported.  This has now been escalated to level 3 tech support but I have been given no indication on what the issue could be.  This is very frustrating as I rely on the internet and pay a lot of money for a 90GB plan.  Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the issue?  I really don't want to leave Exmouth chasing a reasonable connection.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Very slow download speeds but fast uploads on 4G

Hi sarvowinner,

I can see no one from the 'crowd' has replied yet.

I'm wondering what the locals would say about those speeds, three bars of 4G & 1 Mbps just doesn't match up so I can see where you're coming from. Have you tried manually changing down to 3G on your mobile to see if that helps? 

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Support Team
Support Team

Hi sarvowinner, 

Just checking in to see if you were able to resolve this matter? 

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

PeterAndrew1967
Level 3: Gumshoe

I bet those slow speeds are during their peak period? 3pm - 11pm? Or even slower during those times! May as well have dial up!

I have the same problems in Broken Hill - the speeds are perfect before 3pm and after 11pm, but pathetic during the peak period. They also want to 'troubleshoot' as they believe it is my device - however, there would be absolutely no reason for my device to slow between 3pm and 11pm and remain lighthing fast outside of those times! It does make sense it is slowed because of network congestion during their peak period - 3pm - 11pm!

Snail Network!

sarvowinner
Level 1: Cadet

That turned out to be the problem as we were in Exmouth during school holidays so the population doubles.  

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more