Highlighted
WJA777
Level 4: Private Eye

VoLTE

Answered

I've read that lack of VoLTE capability on a mobile phone will eventually lead to not being able to make phone calls in areas that are exclusively serviced by 4G. How far in the future is this likely to become a problem? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: VoLTE

There are a number of 4G Small Cell areas which were previously covered by 2G but now only by 4G, in those areas as there is no (or at least very limited) 3G coverage VoLTE is the only way to ensure calls are able to be made.

If you are in a 3G coverage area then it is unlikely to change soon as they haven't announced any plans to decommission 3G (if they follow 2G pattern, it will be approx mid-2020s after they have 5G well and truly up and running and likely getting ready for 6G and needing the frequency bands or something like that) so they will continue to work in those areas but in areas without 3G now, it will be more likely it will end up with 4G now then install 3G now so those areas will become more 4G only areas.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Accepted Solution

Re: VoLTE

There are a number of 4G Small Cell areas which were previously covered by 2G but now only by 4G, in those areas as there is no (or at least very limited) 3G coverage VoLTE is the only way to ensure calls are able to be made.

If you are in a 3G coverage area then it is unlikely to change soon as they haven't announced any plans to decommission 3G (if they follow 2G pattern, it will be approx mid-2020s after they have 5G well and truly up and running and likely getting ready for 6G and needing the frequency bands or something like that) so they will continue to work in those areas but in areas without 3G now, it will be more likely it will end up with 4G now then install 3G now so those areas will become more 4G only areas.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now