Highlighted
OzeBob51
Level 1: Cadet

Will a Telstra Smart Antenna work with Aldi Mobile

Answered

Back in July 2012, when I first switched to Telstra from Optus, I found my office was in a Black Spot. Telstra immediately part-subsidised my purchase of a Smart Antenna (Netgear MSRB2500-1TLAUS). Although a poor solution, it was some improvement. When we switched to Aldi Mobile (on the Telstra network) in November 2017, the Smart Antenna coverage unit started showing a red light. Calls to Aldi were no use as the don't support such technology. Calls to Testra were not accepted as I am no longer a Telstra customer. So here I sit with 3 mobiles all using the Telstra network via Aldi Mobile, and none work unless we stand outside in the yard. So, my questions are: 1. Does Telstra support the Smart Antenna that is clearly labeled "Telstra Smart Antenna", at least to disuss with me or at the minumum inform me if the device should still be working? 2. Is there a technical reason why the Antenna that previously worked would stop because of the provider change? Maybe I should just go back to Optus?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Will a Telstra Smart Antenna work with Aldi Mobile

@OzeBob51

There is no reason that the device would begin to have an issue just because you changed providers.

The TMSA will help boost Telstra Mobile Networks within your home/business, and it won't matter which provider you use, as long as they also utilise the Telstra Mobile Network.

If you're experiencing troubles with your Antenna, I'd recommend contacting the Team on 1800305307 (option 4)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES
Level 20: Director

I'll leave the tech questions to the experts here.

But I have been doing my own research on the Telstra smart antenna to boost my own home signal and are pretty close in getting one.

It will boost Telstra 3G/4G - NextG, 4G & 4GX, plus Aldi Mobile, Boost Mobile, Woolworths and other MVNO's.

Apparently, if you hold down the brightness button on the unit it will then give you further info on signal strength etc.

Of course, it works better if you plug an external antenna into the unit.

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
OzeBob51

My Telstra badged Netgear devices are not the same. The window unit has a bar scale that continuously indicates the the incoming signal strength. And I have always got a strong signal where I locate that unit. It is the separate 'Coverage Unit' that I place near the mobile black spots that is giving a permanent red light indicating a malfunction. Before I switched to Aldi, this unit used to continuously show the strength of the signal it was relaying and that was always good.
So I'm still hoping someone can tell me if there is a hidden reason it would have stopped working just because my provider is now Aldi, but on the Telstra network?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

@OzeBob51

There is no reason that the device would begin to have an issue just because you changed providers.

The TMSA will help boost Telstra Mobile Networks within your home/business, and it won't matter which provider you use, as long as they also utilise the Telstra Mobile Network.

If you're experiencing troubles with your Antenna, I'd recommend contacting the Team on 1800305307 (option 4)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

OzeBob51

Thank you so much, DeltaSquad! I had been up so many blind alleys trying to get some information, it is a great relief to finally have a potential way forward. I shall pursue your suggestion and see what develops. Hopefully I won't be disowned as I was with my previous attempt to seek Telstra's help. Tx again.
Level 22: Superhuman

I have an official Telstra 4gx smart antenna in front of me and it's made by Cel Fi.
Its about 15 months old.
As its a miniature cell.....it must be registered with Telstra.
Thanks
If my advice has helped you, I would be most appreciative if you can click on the "Like" button. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more