Farlz
Level 1: Cadet

Will a phone bought in America work in Australia

Thinking of buying a phone while in America since technology prices are cheaper here. Will it work straight away, after some fiddling, or just not at all under any circumstances.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Will a phone bought in America work in Australia

The required frequencies / bands used by Telstra for 3G and 4G LTE / 4GX are:
Band 28 700MHz
Band 5 850MHz (used for 3G)
Band 3 1800MHz
Band 1 2100MHz
Band 7 2600MHz
I strongly advise you to buy a locally sold phone so you have warranty and service back-up.
You will also need to buy a suitable specific charger, approved in Australia
Thank you
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".

I would also add that whilst the major manufacturers sell generic phones online in Australia, even though they are meant for Australia, occasionally there may be a software glitch.

That's why the networks here often have the manufacturers do some software changes, just for their network, to cover any issues.

For overseas phones, there is a much higher risk of software issues, and there is no official support or warranty.

In my opinion, it's false economy, and you would be far better to buy your phone not only locally, but preferably from the actual network.

Best wishes

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".
Level 25: The Singularity

Need to clarify, @ProfessorPhone it is the 850MHz UMTS band that is required (more important than any of the LTE bands).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Hello Jupiter
That's exactly what I wrote.
850MHz 3G AKA UMTS but its called 3G by 99.99999% of people
Regards

It's just that you had it in amongst the LTE frequencies, and a lot of sites don't use the band numbers for UMTS.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Good morning Jupiter
You will see I wrote: "used for 3G" next to 850MHz.
I wrote the frequencies in numerical order.
Best wishes
P.P.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now