CrowdSupport®
Level 2: Rookie

Will "3G WCDMA 800" work on the Telstra 3G network?

Looking at buying this phone, not yet, not even soon, but possibly in future... if it will work here, that is.

Why am I looking for a phone like this? Looking to buy a new dumbphone within next 12 months, which is as rugged as possible, while also being as cheap as possible. Also, it needs to work on 3G, as Telstra is retiring 2G late next year.

Hence my question. The phone works on many 2G bands ("GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz"), but I see that as irrelevant due to the aforementioned retiring of 2G happening soon. As far as 3G, it says it works on "3G WCDMA 800".

Will this work on Australian 3G network? Everything I can find online says our 3G uses 850MHz, so since it's 50MHz out, I assume that means it simply won't work? Or am I missing something?

Even if it does work, that's only one 3G band. How much of Aus is covered by this particular band? Almost all, or only select areas?

If you only know the answer to part of this question, I'd still appreciate the answer, as someone else may only know the answer to the other part of the question. Smiley Happy

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Will "3G WCDMA 800" work on the Telstra 3G network?

Hi RPBC,

Our 3G network operates on the 850 frequency so this handset will not connect to our 3G service. It will only connect to 2G on our network and please be aware that the 2G network will be shut down in the future so it may not be a good option if you wanted this for long term use.

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Will "3G WCDMA 800" work on the Telstra 3G network?

@Matt_Telstra wrote:

Hi RPBC,

Our 3G network operates on the 850 frequency so this handset will not connect to our 3G service. It will only connect to 2G on our network and please be aware that the 2G network will be shut down in the future so it may not be a good option if you wanted this for long term use.

-Matt W

Thank you Matt_Telstra, that's exactly what I wanted to find out. Smiley Happy

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more