Rozy
Level 1: Cadet

mobile phone tower

Hi, Im trying to work out a way of testing which telstra tower im getting service from and which one has the best signal strength for my telstra smart antenna. I live rural on a farm and are 18.26 km and 19.13 km from the closest towers. I have a yagi antenna on a tower beside our house about 15m up facing the closer tower but would like to test if the other telstra tower gets better signal?? also I have a nighthawk M1 for mobile broadband, should i set this up with a seperate yagi antenna or get the signal from the smart antenna? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES
Rozy

Signal strength

Hi, Im trying to work out a way of testing which telstra tower im getting service from and which one has the best signal strength for my telstra smart antenna. I live rural on a farm and are 18.26 km and 19.13 km from the closest towers. I have a yagi antenna on a tower beside our house about 15m up facing the closer tower but would like to test if the other telstra tower gets better signal?? also I have a nighthawk M1 for mobile broadband, should i set this up with a seperate yagi antenna or get the signal from the smart antenna?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: mobile phone tower

@Rozy

A Desktop Evaluation can be requested from our Mobile Tech Team on 125111.

They'll send some details to our Network Teams, who will contact you directly after the Evaluation is completed to provide the best advice for your location.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If you are going to do the testing yourself, you really need to be using the same equipment for the different scenarios as the two devices will have different reception characteristics which will make a direct comparison unreliable.

If you already have a second Yagi antenna, mount it on the same pole and point it at the other tower, then connect it to the device that you are using as a test.

If your device can accept 2 antenna inputs, you could always leave them both connected (best of both worlds - a bit of redundancy just in case one of the towers goes offline as well).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Rozy

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I want to optimise it for the smart antenna, which only has one antenna input. I do have 2 Yagi antennas, so might try it with one facing each tower and test them both.
Level 22: Superhuman

Hold down the button to the right of the screen on your receiver main unit for several seconds until it goes into test mode. You will then see between 1 and 5 base stations which are 3 digits starting with your state's number eg 3 for Victoria.
You will see the level of each base station in dB. Knowing the location and direction of the 2 you know of... you will recognise each base station by the direction of your yagi.
You can run a wireless internet modem from your coverage unit.
Ensure you are locating your 2 units in different rooms not in absolute direct line of site.
1 segment of signal in the wireless bar is sufficient....not to be confused with your input level to the main unit which should be located in the strongest signal area in relation to your preferred base station
Hope this helps.
Regards PP

If my advice has helped you, I would be most appreciative if you can click on the "Like" button. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more