CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
juhenty
Level 1: Cadet

no overseas phone reception

Hi there, 

I have an iphone5 and just got to germany yesterday and it says 'no serice'. I dont get any reception and cant even choose a german network. 

It find 5 different networks but wont let me choose one.

How do i get any reception. 

my international roaming is turned on.

could my phone be locked??

Thanks!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 23: Superhero

Re: no overseas phone reception

You still using the Telstra sim? Did you register for international roaming? Setting carrier to auto is your best bet.

Cheers,
Dave

juhenty
Level 1: Cadet

yes still got aussie telstra sim in. registered for international roaming yesterday online and they wrote back saying i had already registered for it and its all switched on.

could it be the phone?

Julia

Dragont00th
Level 2: Rookie

Yes, it's the phone and this is a real pain in the butt, but as your phone is locked to the telstra network it won't work Smiley Sad

https://unlock.telstra.com/iphoneunlock/main?execution=e1s1

Follow that link and you will be able to unlock the phone but you will need to sync the phone with iTunes after you do this do this as it's not actually locked by telstra, it's locked by Apple.

Sorry, I know thats not what you wanted to hear while in Germany. Smiley Sad

I work for Telstra, However I post on this forum in my own time and are not done representing Telstra and the views and advice given in posts are my own.
Support Team
Support Team

Not the thing that you want to have happen when you land in another Country Smiley Sad

It sounds as though the International Roaming may not have been activated correctly on the handset, as this should work even if your mobile handset is not locked as you are using our SIM card for the service. If you do have a chance I would recommend getting in touch with Live Chat and ensure this has been registered correctly. They are available 24/7 via: 

http://tel.st/eAUDU

You will need access to a computer and an internet connection to discuss this with them further.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now