Highlighted
MM2018
Level 1: Cadet

overseas

Answered

The usual I am overseas, have bought both Japan and UK SIMs and phone number for the old iPhone 5, thought i was safe as mobile roaming  was switched off for the iPhone 6 which is my current Oz number, now have $$ being charged for usage and data  (that i think was Mail being transferred by local wifi from the iPhone 5 joined to local networks not Telstra, though I can't be sure, a few calls I ned to check, a lot of 1kb/2kb contacts, some 4 times a day). Telstra 24/7 is off; so is Telstra Air. Short of removing the Oz SIM, what can i do to stop Telstra thinking I want to be connected and charging me? Family need to be able to contact me in emergencies; I'm an old age pensioner doing voluntary and largely unpaid work away..IPhone 6 now switched off and dead. Is that enough? am I being charged even now? HTF would I know? contact us/chat doesn't work.  I've seriously tried NOT to be charged, as I was aware they could; I even switched off direct debits to prevent uncontested withdrawals.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: overseas

With your phone switched off, you will not be charged.

iPhones are a bit of a pain in the proverbial as far as international roaming and data usage goes. Even when you "turn off" mobile data, some applications still have access to it unless you go in to the app settings and explicitly tell them not to use mobile data.

As far as livechat.telstra.com goes, you need to use a browser other than Safari (such as Chrome, Firefox or Dolphin) and once you get to the first page, you need to click on the 3 dots icon that appears at the top or bottom of the browser screen and select "Request Desktop Site".

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Accepted Solution

Re: overseas

With your phone switched off, you will not be charged.

iPhones are a bit of a pain in the proverbial as far as international roaming and data usage goes. Even when you "turn off" mobile data, some applications still have access to it unless you go in to the app settings and explicitly tell them not to use mobile data.

As far as livechat.telstra.com goes, you need to use a browser other than Safari (such as Chrome, Firefox or Dolphin) and once you get to the first page, you need to click on the 3 dots icon that appears at the top or bottom of the browser screen and select "Request Desktop Site".

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more