DV82
Level 2: Rookie

wifi calling

Answered

I have a Telstra Post paid account. I occasionally use the Sim in an Iridium Satellite phone when in remote areas and it has worked well. No issue there.

I recently had WIFI calling enabled on the Android phone and also had it enabled by Telstra as I presume they have to set up some form of routing in the network.  Wifi calling works well too.

I now find that when I put the SIM in the Iridium phone it will not receive incoming calls.

It can make calls and can send and receive SMS but no incoming voice calls.

I disabled WIFI calling on the android before I removed the SIM and it made no difference.

Do I need to have Telstra disable wifi calling for the Iridium satellite phone to receive incoming calls ?    My guess is that because the number can't be found on the 3G/4G network it is searching the internet looking for it.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: wifi calling

@DV82 wrote:
The SIM works perfectly in both handsets, it's just that the Iridium phone doesn't receive incoming voice calls. It will make outgoing calls and send and receive SMS.

Hmmm... That contradicts, doesn't it. If it does not receive incoming voice calls, then it does not work perfectly.

Did anything change on Iridium phone? Any updates to its OS perhaps?

BTW, I did not know that normal SIM works with satelite phone. I always though that Satelite is quite separate...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Wifi calling is controlled by the Handset, so Telstra can't disable it and it shouldn't have any effect on your ability to receive calls via the mobile network using a different handset.

The SIM itself could be damaged, they aren't really designed to be repeatedly inserted and removed.
Might pay to get the SIM replaced. Can be done in store on the spot, or give 125111 a call and arrange for a new one to be sent out.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
DV82

I had to get Telstra to enable it at Network level before WIFI calling would work on my handset.
The SIM works perfectly in both handsets, it's just that the Iridium phone doesn't receive incoming voice calls. It will make outgoing calls and send and receive SMS.
Level 22: Superhuman

Have you tried a friend's sim in the Iridium?
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".
Accepted Solution

@DV82 wrote:

Hmmm... That contradicts, doesn't it. If it does not receive incoming voice calls, then it does not work perfectly.

Did anything change on Iridium phone? Any updates to its OS perhaps?

BTW, I did not know that normal SIM works with satelite phone. I always though that Satelite is quite separate...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

DV82

What I meant is I don't believe there is a problem with the SIM. I last used the Iridium phone about 2 months ago and it hasn't been upgraded in any way.
The only change that has been made is to enable WIFI calling and in addition to turning it on in the handset I had to get Telstra to enable it on the network.
My reasoning is there must be some routing mechanism within the Telstra network to direct calls to the Internet and subsequent wifi network when the android phone isn't registered on the 3G/4G network.
When the sim is in the iridium handset it isn't registered on 3G/4G and I presume the network is attempting to route calls to it via the internet, even though the Iridium phone has service and is registered on the Iridium network.
BTW, A post paid SIM will work in an Iridium phone and Telstra have some billing arrangement with Iridium. Call costs are savage but it's only used for emergencies.

I am not sure how wifi calling exactly works (it seems it differs between providers and also between iOS and Android), but I do not think it works the way you say...

I mean, I don't think that Telstra is automatically trying to locate the phone over the Internet if it is not available on 4/5G... I think that the phone has to "advertise" itself as being on WiFi calling available network first...

DV82

Yes, I did a bit more research. It seems like the handset is allocated an IP address which is used for both 4G and internet and it looks like that is registered as the current status. I'm trying a few more things.

I do not think this is correct. Once you are on WiFi, your WiFi provider gives you and IP address... Like where I am now (at work), my handset gets assigned e-mail address from our corporate range, but when I am at home, the handset gets IP address from my home modem (behind NAT on top of that)…

I still believe that for VoWiFi to work, the handset has to do some sort of hand shake with servers to tell them its IP address. If this handshake does not happen and you are out of normal mobile range, Telstra will think that you're off-line or switched the phone off and will redirect to your voice mail.

https://www.networkcomputing.com/networking/your-network-optimized-wifi-calling
https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/telstravowifi

DV82

You are correct. When I switch wifi on the Android displays an IP address allocated by my wifi network, 192.168 etc. When I switch wifi off it shows one allocated by Telstra 10.210. etc and its quite dynamic.in that it quickly swaps back and forth.
If I switch the Android off and try calling it I go straight through to voicemail. When the sim is in the Iridium and it's registered on Iridium network, when I call it I don't go to voicemail, the calling phone rings until it times out so Telstra network knows something has changed.
I can't locate another Telstra post paid sim to try.
I'm getting someone who has a similar setup to me to try his and see how it behaves. Unfortunately he's a long way from me so I can't easily swap handsets around,
My Iridium phone will send and receive texts OK and will make outgoing calls.
I appreciate your help trying to resolve this
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

On your Iridium phone can you set it to use the 3G band only? If you can select 3G and try making a incoming call.

DV82

Iridium is Iridium, No 3G or 4G. I did try setting the Android to 3g and have it register before I removed the sim but it made no difference.

Telstra 24x7®

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now