Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services

Visitor
0 Kudos

Will the Telstra Galaxy Nexus receive updates directly from Google?

I was wondering if the Galaxy Nexus I purchased from Telstra will receive firmware updates directly from Google or via some kind of Telstra mechanism?

See article here: http://androidandme.com/2011/12/devices/not-all-gsm-galaxy-nexus-devices-will-be-updated-directly-by...

I'd prefer to be as up to date as possible and not rely on the carrier to push these updates to me.

Thanks!

Visitor
0 Kudos

Re: Will the Telstra Galaxy Nexus receive updates directly from Google?

Just a follow up, looking at the /system/build.prop with a file manager shows the software code as: yakjudv. From what I'm reading online this won't receive OTA updates direct from Google, which means there will be delays getting new versions.
Community Leader
0 Kudos

if it has a carrier branded firmware now with all the Telstra shortcuts etc then I wouldn't expect any new version to come from anywhere other than from Telstra once they've added their bit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Visitor
0 Kudos

There's no carrier apps installed by the default, so I figured maybe they had a default build.

Oh well, I'll give it a week to make sure there's no hardware defects and root it.

Occasional Visitor
0 Kudos

It is very annoying. There was no indication that the phone was anything other than stock Google ROMs.

Plus, being 4.0.1, we are already two releases behind the baseline of 4.0.3 Smiley Tongue

Like you, I will have to flash the stock ROM to my phone, but annoyed since I understand this will void the warranty!
0 Kudos

Somewhat pissed about this - Just bought a new Nexus only to find out about this the hard way.

Telstra - Please stop **bleep**ing with phone firmware. Just let the manufacturer upgrades go through untouched.
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos

The fact that it was the standard google ROM was the biggest selling point for me.... I didn't want to be locked into a bloated ROM from the carrier and nor did I want to wait for the updates.

Since I didn't see the bloatware I was estatic that it was going to be so. But now I hear this I am really saddened (and really annoyed).

Thanks Telstra for taking the shine off my new xmas present Smiley Sad

Regular Visitor
0 Kudos

I got my galaxy nexus the day they were released and unlocked the bootloader the day after (warning, this will do a factory reset/wipe) but then was disappointed to find out it isn't running "stock" ICS - which is codenamed "yakju".

Does anyone know where the "yakjudv" software comes from (I would assume from Samsung, built to provide Australian localisation?).

Has anyone tried the "stock" ICS 4.0.2 - available here: http://code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html - on their Telstra supplied Galaxy Nexus?

cheers,

superL

Established Member
0 Kudos

Any official word from Telstra?

One of the major selling points for the Nexus line is the live updates from Google. Please Telstra, don't drop the ball on this one. You managed to beat the other carriers to a release, so beat them to updates too!
(It's sure to get you good publicity and more users.)
Occasional Contributor

Yeah I have done the install of the 4.0.2 image using a guide that was posted on whirlpool forum which provides all the appropriate links and it is working perfectly and I have also noticed battery life and network connections have improved. Thought have been reading that because I moved from the Telstra radio to the Stock Google radio I may have lost HD Voice (though not confirmed).

And I wouldn't go to the 4.0.3 roms (non-google standard) that are floating around out thereas I have read some issues about them.

Of course unlocking the bootloader and installing the image is meant to void your warranty so be aware of that if you are going to do it. Though you can relock the bootloader and it won't be long probably until the telstra image is available on the xda developer forums.

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Is Telstra going to address this at all or are we just left to wonder what the hell is going on ??? 

I'm expecting that if you alter the stock ROM that you have though through the process of providing subsequent updates like a professional organisation would.  Or was it just something stuck in the launch team and hasn't been operationalised yet? 

Either way, they have all the email addresses of the customers who bought the GNex and yet we have no communication on it at all and we're behind by two versions and coming up to 3 months since launch pretty soon. 

Come on Telstra.  Stop leaving good customers hanging. 

New Contributor
0 Kudos

From this thread:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Android/Telstra-slow-to-release-updates/td-p/27390/page/4

Official european firmware, 4.01 but as soon as you flash it (its signed so unlock and rooting is not required *IT DOES FACTORY RESET*) you receive the OTA update direct from Google and will do from that point on.

Ive been using it ever since I posted this link, NextG works as well as before and pretty much the only thing I can tell that would be missing is HD voice (which personally I could care less about). Unfortunately the (mostly empty) Telstra menu is still in the Marketplace app.

There was one other quirk to do with imperial vs metric (when you select langauge UK english it assume you measure in feet, inches, farenheight etc instead of centremeters celcius) but that was easily fixed with an app called "morelocal2".

Based on comment from Telstra staff in the above thread it may still void your warranty.

If you not worried about the things mentioned above I think its well worth it, one of the key things in getting a Galaxy Nexus for me was being first in line for updates direct from Google and now I'm getting them again.

http://samsung.de/de/support/detail....7-5772e168e9e4

download the USB driver and firmware files to Windows (may take multiple tries, keep trying).
run USB driver app in Windows, reboot Windows
run firmware app in Windows
put phone in download mode (power off, volume down + power on, plug USB cable in)
in firmware app, click start!

and you're done!

You're now yakju with latest Google ITL41F.

Community Founder (Retired)
0 Kudos

OK, I'm here (Sorry been posting stuff on other threads and its hard to keep up sometimes!)

1 - Updates come from Telstra, not from Google, as these updates have HD Voice (perhaps some other fixes, but I'm not sure)

2- If you flash to a Firmware version that isn't supported, you may not receive support from Telstra if it breaks or if there are bugs, as we didn't authorise or encourage you to make said update

3 - I'm working with Devs (as is KrayzeeKev) to Try and get information out about the process and to update the Smartphone page (http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/phones/smartphones.html ) which was updated last on 24 Jan 2011.

Please refer to my previous posts on the issues Re: FW Upgrades as they go into greater detail what we are doing.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

New Contributor
0 Kudos

I have spent an exasperating 2 weeks trying to get to the bottom of this mess, including numerous calls to both Telstra and Samsung Aust.  The line I get is Telstra say they cannot help as they are waiting on Samsung and Samsung do not have a date for the release of updates after 4.01.  I lodged a complaint with the Telco Ombudsman (TIO) but they could not help other than to try and release me from the contract and suggested I contact the ACCC and NSW Office of Fair Trading.  At this point I have :-

a)      lodged a complaint with the ACCC on the basis of the “Pure Google | Users enjoy quick access to the latest updated” statements on the Samsung website

b)      sent a letter of demand (ACCC suggestion) to Samsung Aust MD requesting Samsung quickly and frequently issue updates.  I will be sending a similar letter to Telstra shortly.

Action will only be taken if customers formally (in writing) complain loudly and frequently so the more complaints lodged with ACCC / Telstra / Samsung the better – so if you are also sufficiently aggrieved plz lodge complaints as above asap

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

banksbg wrote:

I have spent an exasperating 2 weeks trying to get to the bottom of this mess, including numerous calls to both Telstra and Samsung Aust.  The line I get is Telstra say they cannot help as they are waiting on Samsung and Samsung do not have a date for the release of updates after 4.01.  I lodged a complaint with the Telco Ombudsman (TIO) but they could not help other than to try and release me from the contract and suggested I contact the ACCC and NSW Office of Fair Trading.  At this point I have :-

a)      lodged a complaint with the ACCC on the basis of the “Pure Google | Users enjoy quick access to the latest updated” statements on the Samsung website

b)      sent a letter of demand (ACCC suggestion) to Samsung Aust MD requesting Samsung quickly and frequently issue updates.  I will be sending a similar letter to Telstra shortly.

Action will only be taken if customers formally (in writing) complain loudly and frequently so the more complaints lodged with ACCC / Telstra / Samsung the better – so if you are also sufficiently aggrieved plz lodge complaints as above asap

Lets look at the points you raised in more detail:

1 - Telstra (to the best of my knowledge) has not made statements in relation to the Update cycle of the Nexus, only that it runs ICS (which is not a lie).

2 - You relied on 3rd party information (ie: Samsung Website) in making a purchasing decision. Telstra is not responsible for, nor in control of, the content on a Samsung Advertisment. Therefore, you have no claim against Telstra for making False and Misleading Statements, unless Telstra directly have made those statements.

3 - The TIO do not have the power to direct a service provider to make a Commercial Decision, which includes the release of software updates.

4 - When I read the statement Pure Google | Users enjoy quick access to the latest updates  I read that users are recieving an unmodified (from a UI perspective) device (ie: No Customisations other then Baseband, UI is pure ICS/Google), and that updates will be released quickly (with no time limit). Therefore, it is not up to you to decide how quick is quickly, unless you asked this question prior to purchase and to the company you purchased from.

Lets be real here. Telstra (from what I can see) hasn't Misled customers (in their advertising at least). You have been offerred a release from contract, and you have refused that offer. Therefore, Telstra (or the TIO) has offered you a remedy if you aren't satisfied with the purchase of the phone.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Ben_F -  Spoken like a Telstra employee!.

Where is the customer service focus from Telstra (and Sumsung for that matter)?

Agree the GNex is a Samsung product but Telstra (along with the other Aust Telco’s) is selling it. The GNex is being sold internationally and has been receiving regular OTA (Over The Air) updates. The ugly truth is no one (Telstra orSamsung) has even attempted to explain why Aust GNex users are being treated differently nor what expectations we should hold for updates being released in the future!

From a Telstra perspective:

- we are their customers and I imagine they would be interested to ensure their customers are happy and content.

- Samsung is a major supplier to Telstra and obviously Telstra has a far greater influence over Samsung than any GNex user, yet Telstra has not as yet demonstrated any interest advocating their customer concerns to Samsung.

- Telstra is today still selling the GNEX in full knowledge of the situation and so surely now must take some accountability.

As I said in my first post, only customers complaining will get action here and the more the merrier!!!

0 Kudos

banksbg wrote:

Ben_F -  Spoken like a Telstra employee!.

Where is the customer service focus from Telstra (and Sumsung for that matter)?

Agree the GNex is a Samsung product but Telstra (along with the other Aust Telco’s) is selling it. The GNex is being sold internationally and has been receiving regular OTA (Over The Air) updates. The ugly truth is no one (Telstra orSamsung) has even attempted to explain why Aust GNex users are being treated differently nor what expectations we should hold for updates being released in the future!

From a Telstra perspective:

- we are their customers and I imagine they would be interested to ensure their customers are happy and content.

- Samsung is a major supplier to Telstra and obviously Telstra has a far greater influence over Samsung than any GNex user, yet Telstra has not as yet demonstrated any interest advocating their customer concerns to Samsung.

- Telstra is today still selling the GNEX in full knowledge of the situation and so surely now must take some accountability.

As I said in my first post, only customers complaining will get action here and the more the merrier!!!

I wrote that as an Employee. I'm still around so they removed my tagging, but my position hasn't changed.

Your correct, you are the a customer of Telstra. Keeping customers happy does not mean that the customer gets everything they want. If that was the case, then I wouldn't pay a phone bill, and get unlmited internet. Gwmbox would have uncapped Wireless Plans. And the world would be a rosy place, until the company went broke and noone had anything.

What is your specific issue with the update releases from the phone? Does the phone do everything that Telstra has advertised it will do? Or are you just trying to bump up your nerd-cred by asking that all the latest updates be released for a device?

Telstra won't "Demonstrate" any advocacy, because the conversations that Telstra have are between Telstra and their Suppliers. You (as the customer) have no business being privy to commerical conversations between a company and a supplier. Just because there is nothing said, doesn't mean nothing is happening.

Telstra is selling the Galaxy Nexus, which is a phone that I really enjoyed using and which worked (for the most part) for me. There were somethings which it didn't do, which is why I returned the device and received a full refund. You have been offerred the same thing, but somehow seem to think you are entitled to more then the remedies provided under the law.

New Users - Click Here!

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Ben_F:

Are you still a Telstra employee or now a mere customer?

I thought I was clear with what I want, but let me summaries for you in the hope I will get a resolution. In simple terms I want the product to live up to the sales promise, nothing more nothing less, I don’t want to be released from my contract or move to another telco, specifically this means :

- Andriod updates to be release at the same time as other international users or close to the international release date

- Advice of when the first update will be released (eg date and version number)

I find your comment that I am “trying to bump up your nerd-cred” to be insulting coming from a Telstra employee, and not what I have come to expect from a professional sales organisation like Telstra – wonder what David Thodey” would make of the tone of your response. Remember I have attempted to resolve my issue directly “one on one” with Telstra and only resorted to public forums due to lack of responsiveness.

I am far from Android geekdom and have only just moved to a Smartphone, nor am I a Window fanatic, for that matter, yet I expect Microsoft to provide bug fixes and enhancements on a regular basis (which they manage to do) – particularly security related fixes which I would have thought Telstra was also keen to see resolved.

You totally misinterpreted my comment on advocacy. I was not asking to know the extent and nature discussion between Telstra and Samsung only assurance that Telstra recognises and accepts there is an issue and is pushing for a resolution with Samsung and will advise me of progress – which thus far has not happened.

0 Kudos

Happy to answer some questions for you Smiley Happy

1 - I'm not an employee of Telstra, by my own choosing. I resigned to take up a position in Information Technology, after working in Telecommunications for several years. Therefore, any comments about what Dave Thodey does or doesn't think about my post isn't relevant, but if he really wants to contact me to provide some feedback I won't say no (StephenD has my offline contact details).

2 - You want the product to live up to a pre-conceived idea of what it should do, based upon advertising from a company that didn't sell the device to you? My question to you remains. What doesn't the device do that means that you need the update? 

I've not taken this tone or line with the SGII as an example, because there is a demonstratable need for an update to be released for this device.

3 - Please indicate where in your agreement with Telstra does it state that you will receive updates the day they are released in other countries?

4 - I'll take back the comment about nerd-cred, and I respect that it may have overstepped the line.

5 - You asked in a previous post where the customer service focus is from Telstra. If you and Telstra don't agree on how something should be done, there is only one way to resolve that. Either you both understand that you disagree, and nothing changes, or you move providers. You were given that as an option by the TIO.

My point remains that your request for "Conformation of an issue", Update Details, Version Numbers, and a timeline that you insist on is similar to me requesting unlimited data usage for $15 a month. If Telstra and I don't agree that I should get Unlimited Internet for $15 a month, then I either have to put up or move providers.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

New Contributor
0 Kudos

Ben-F - whats not to get.  The issue is not was is not working today but may be found to be broken in the future.  As an owner I want confirm that problem will be fix (eg low volume, security in the Contacts app) will be fixed promply.  Google is an engeering company and releases frequencty updates to Chrome, as does Micosoft for Windows.  This is the promise (not preconceived ideas) of the GNex, which Telstra sold me. There is no expectation on mybehalf of anything other than getting what I paid for.  You can continue to ignore this fact but it remains I have not got the product and service I am paying for an nether Telstra or Samsung are saying the own or even recognise the issue and will provide any information.  Regardless that the GNex is a Samsung device I am a Telstra customer and Telstra has a customer service responsibiliy to try and resolve not ignore

Are there views / thought from anyone else?

0 Kudos

banksbg wrote:

Ben-F - whats not to get.  The issue is not was is not working today but may be found to be broken in the future.  As an owner I want confirm that problem will be fix (eg low volume, security in the Contacts app) will be fixed promply.  Google is an engeering company and releases frequencty updates to Chrome, as does Micosoft for Windows.  This is the promise (not preconceived ideas) of the GNex, which Telstra sold me. There is no expectation on mybehalf of anything other than getting what I paid for.  You can continue to ignore this fact but it remains I have not got the product and service I am paying for an nether Telstra or Samsung are saying the own or even recognise the issue and will provide any information.  Regardless that the GNex is a Samsung device I am a Telstra customer and Telstra has a customer service responsibiliy to try and resolve not ignore

Are there views / thought from anyone else?

So there is nothing wrong with the device? The device does what Telstra has sold it to do?

Telstra Sold you the GNexus, but where did Telstra promise to supply updates in line with what you are demanding?

You are entitled to either a Refund, Repair or Replacement if Telstra has promised that the device will do something that it doesn't do. This (to the best of my knowledge) includes updates, and it looks like the TIO/Telstra have offerred you a refund and waiver of contract, therefore providing you with a reasonable remedy.

New Users - Click Here!

Crowd Leader
0 Kudos

banksbg, neither you nor any organisation can force a provider to give you – by exception or otherwise – what you want. You paid for something, you feel you didn't get what you paid for, and so the ultimate remedy is to effectively undo the transaction, with the express or tacit acknowledgement that the provider or retailer in question does not sell what you want and expect. Telstra (and Samsung) will forgo the revenue from the sale, and you're free to take your business elsewhere – when you're released from the contract (or otherwise ‘get your money back’) – for example, to a retailer that will sell you (at its asking price and on its terms) a version of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus that will receive OTA updates on in a more agreeable time-frame.

That's the extent of your rights as a consumer. As a customer, I'm sure Telstra wants to keep you happy with what it is willing to offer commercially, without letting you impose your expectations on business, tactical and operational decisions. If you cannot be a happy customer with what is on offer, then the right thing to do is to allow you to freely terminate the customer-provider relationship if you so choose.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Telstra Alumni (Retired)
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

A number of posts in this thread have been removed as this thread was getting out of hand, please remember the Telstra CrowdSupport Guidelines which can be viewed here

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today

Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Occasional Visitor
0 Kudos

This is a bit of a laugh isnt it?

I'm fine with the idea that Telstra needs about 17 months to test an OS update (not a new version of an OS, just an update) on their network to make sure that coverage is optimal. I'm fine that their employees in this thread explain that it actualy requires 19 months. That's all good.

My biggest concern is why the Galaxy Nexus is not even on the software updates page with any sort of listing or description?

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobile-phones/smartphones/

Is there a seperate page that I'm missing like an idiot or has Telstra actually just dropped the GN from their list? If so, it would be nice to tell us so we can go ahead and root our phones and open a new complaint thread... or does the web team need some time to test the content before they make it live to make sure it recieves signal correctly?

Tom

New Contributor
0 Kudos

FYI To all on this topic;

After making formal complaints to both Telstra and Samsung, I have obtained the following outcome from TESLTRA;

1) TELSTRA admit to currently having no timelines, nor any current plan on offering timelines for firmware updates to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

2) TELSTRA admit TELSTRA in-store advertising material published from the Samsung website and material still published on the Samsung website indicate that firmware updates will be promptly delivered directly from Google.

3) TELSTRA admit that the offered product fails to meet the advertised claim.

4) TESLTRA offer to maintain the device warranty support for the GALAXY NEXUS if fitted with the official Google firmware.

This places any and all risk of firmware compatibility issues with the owner - and hence Google - but allows for warranty issues not arising from the firmware to still be honoured by TELSTRA.

As such, I would suggest to anyone who is

• unsatified with TELSTRA's Samsung Galaxy Nexus firmware updates 

and

•   Who is willing to undertake the firmware update process to the Google Yakju build, (to direct the phones firmware to update directly from Google)

To 

a) raise a formal complaint to TELSTRA, outlining the failure to meet the advertised firmware updates,

b) offer three acceptable outcomes to TELSTRA
   i) Cancellation of the contract and return of the device as unfit to purpose, 
   ii) Supply of - or a firm guarantee of supply of - future firmware updates in a timely fashion,
   iii) Agreement for Telstra to maintain the devices hardware warranty if fitted with Google's firmware release.

Based on my personal experience, TELSTRA will choose outcome iii) and will support your device, but disown the firmware - which is what Google-delivered firmware basically guarantees anyhow.

I hope this helps anyone considering the current situation to be unacceptable.

cheers! 

New Contributor
0 Kudos

KeithCohen wrote:

FYI To all on this topic;

After making formal complaints to both Telstra and Samsung, I have obtained the following outcome from TESLTRA;

1) TELSTRA admit to currently having no timelines, nor any current plan on offering timelines for firmware updates to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

2) TELSTRA admit TELSTRA in-store advertising material published from the Samsung website and material still published on the Samsung website indicate that firmware updates will be promptly delivered directly from Google.

3) TELSTRA admit that the offered product fails to meet the advertised claim.

4) TESLTRA offer to maintain the device warranty support for the GALAXY NEXUS if fitted with the official Google firmware.

Nice to hear this.

One thing i am finding annoying is telstra doesn't have the firmware to test nor a timeline. In keeping with internet memes:

Meanwhile, at vodafone: Galaxy nexus 4.0.4 update now in testing

Vodafone SGN = Telstra SGN = Yakjudv

I would have assumed that samsung would provide the firmware to telstra at the same time considering that they are on the same variant

Occasional Visitor
0 Kudos

Thanks for getting that Keith!

Makes me quite mad knowing that they actively made a decision to dog us.

Any chance of posting some quotes from your communication of the key points as well as any relevant staff name/number for use as reference when others wish to make formal complaints?