CrowdSupport®
leox851
Level 2: Rookie

New telstra phone number not valid for internet websites

Good morning,

My parents have both bought a telstra prepaid with a new number which has been activated. Everything works great except when we try to put the phone numbers on a website form. For some reason either phone are not recognised as valid phone number.

My father cannot even book his car service because once it puts his phone number the website says to put a valid phone number and does not let him continue. It happens with every website and with both new number.

I have spoken to the telstra shop and they said it is impossible and anyway it is not their fault so they dont care.

Any possible solution from your side? Do I need the get them a new number once their 6 months prepaid expire?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Support Team
Support Team

Re: New telstra phone number not valid for internet websites

Hi @leox851,

That is quite a strange issue, as contact information on most sites should be ok if it's a standard national number such as a mobile. 

Are these sites needing to send an SMS for verification of anything? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

leox851

No they are just the standard sites where they ask a phone number to register or for enquiries.. As example he had to use my number to book his service on the Hyundai website or when he enquiries on builder sites for houses... I bought both sims online from the telstra website but that shouldn't be the issue. They only solution it comes to mind is for them to change number but then I will have to pay for a new sim and they will have the annoying process of changing the phone number.

As I said at the telstra shop they told me it doesn't depend from them so they are not going to do anything.

I just cannot understand how a working number show up as not valid on internet. Almost the same if I was adding letters to the box or less numbers

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for getting back to us, that is indeed weird as the site would be configured to accept Australian number format if the website is Australian. Meaning it would go by the count of the numbers and it beginning with 04 or 05.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

leox851

That is what I thought especially since the number are both fully working. And it doesn't mutter if I put the 0473 or the +61 at the front and it is both of their number I bought as well the same sim for myself but I kept my old number so I had no issues

Support Team
Support Team

Definitely odd as the website wouldn't be able to detect if the number is active or not either. You can imagine a lot of people would put in a false number just so they are not contacted by mobile. 

I sincerely apologise, this is a difficult one to crack. It's the same on all websites?

leox851

As far as I am aware it is for every website that want aphone number to enquiry or register. You know those present forms where they ask you name dob, phone, email... As said one was the Hyundai service website. Is there any possible solution? 

Support Team
Support Team

The only thing I could advise is contacting the web administrators for the websites, however, as you've said, it's happening with all websites, which is incredibly odd.

I can appreciate the frustration surrounding the changing of the number, including the purchase of a new SIM, however, it may be the only solution unfortunately.

It's just such an odd issue and not one I have come across in my 11+ years here at Telstra.

Level 25: The Singularity

That problem usually means that the website admins have used a strict interpretation of the Australian Numbering System and they haven't updated their list of acceptable prefixes (ie the 04xx part). when the latest batch of numbers was released.

The only fix is to contact the admins of each of the websites and let them know that they need to update their lists.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Harsheetnanda
Level 1: Cadet

I'm having the same issue. 

Did you find any solution to this problem.

Please help. 

Harsheetnanda
Level 1: Cadet

I'm having the same issue. It's very frustrating. 

leox851

Nope nothing and telstra is saying is nothing to do with them and cannot do anything

There is nothing that Telstra can do. It's up to individual companies to ensure that their websites work properly. If they have rules dictating what a valid phone number looks like, then they need to check to make sure that the rules they are using are correct. It would appear that they are using and old definition of what a real number is (the ACMA issues new number prefixes on a regular basis to Telco's when the old ones start to run out)

If you are having a problem with a website, contact the company that it belongs to and inform them of the problem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra 24x7®

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now