CrowdSupport®
OverseasMostly
Level 2: Rookie

Texting when living Overseas on a Pre-Paid Telstra SIM

Answered

I live most of the time overseas, in various countries, but occasionally i need to return to Australia to stock up on Vegemite.

I come back every 3-6 months for a few weeks.

I keep my Australian Telstra Pre-Paid number for banking, WhatsApp and when i get back to Oz so my friends can contact me.

However, for my banking and some other services, they send me a message asking for confirmation, for example when the Banks are doing a fraud check, they send a message saying reply with 1 if this is ok, 2 if it isnt.

But with the Telstra Pre-Paid Max, which Im usually on, the credit has expired and I cant respond.

I used to have the LongLife plan, but when I get back it costs me a fortune, as I make alot of calls and use a lot of data. So the Pre-Paid Max plan is best when I get back.

How can I get the benefits of using the PrePaid Max plan when in Oz, but have a little bit of credit available once the Max plan expires and I am Overseas so I can respond with a text.

I wouldnt need more that $5 or $10 on my SIM to send the occasional Text when overseas, but it needs to be valid for 6 months.

I hope that makes sense :-)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Texting when living Overseas on a Pre-Paid Telstra SIM

Hi OverseasMostly,

With Telstra Pre-Paid you can change your plan up to 10 times a year.

When you change your plan you need to change the plan first, then put a recharge on to get the benefits of the new plan.

There's 2 options I can suggest.

Option 1: The Pre-Paid Max has a $150 recharge that has 6 month's expiry, 60GB Data (to use in Australia), unlimited calls and text to Australian standard numbers (while you're in Australia), unlimited calls to 18 selected International countries (while you're in Australia) and $50 Extra Credits.

The charge's for you to return a reply to your Bank and other services while overseas will come out of the Extra Credits, as these Extra Credits can be used for roaming (which means when you're out of Australia).

Option 2: You can change you're Pre-Paid plan between the Pre-Paid Max plan (be on this one when you're in Australia) and the Pre-Paid Long Life Plus plan (be on this one when you're overseas).

The Pre-Paid Long Life Plus plan has a $30 recharge with 6 months expiry.

The charge's for you to return a reply to your Bank and other services while overseas will come out of this $30.

You'll need to keep in mind that if you change from the Pre-Paid Max plan to the Long Life Plus plan, you will lose any Data that you have saved in the Data Bank...as the Long Life Plus plan doesn't have Data Bank.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates#RCG

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Accepted Solution

Hi OverseasMostly,

With Telstra Pre-Paid you can change your plan up to 10 times a year.

When you change your plan you need to change the plan first, then put a recharge on to get the benefits of the new plan.

There's 2 options I can suggest.

Option 1: The Pre-Paid Max has a $150 recharge that has 6 month's expiry, 60GB Data (to use in Australia), unlimited calls and text to Australian standard numbers (while you're in Australia), unlimited calls to 18 selected International countries (while you're in Australia) and $50 Extra Credits.

The charge's for you to return a reply to your Bank and other services while overseas will come out of the Extra Credits, as these Extra Credits can be used for roaming (which means when you're out of Australia).

Option 2: You can change you're Pre-Paid plan between the Pre-Paid Max plan (be on this one when you're in Australia) and the Pre-Paid Long Life Plus plan (be on this one when you're overseas).

The Pre-Paid Long Life Plus plan has a $30 recharge with 6 months expiry.

The charge's for you to return a reply to your Bank and other services while overseas will come out of this $30.

You'll need to keep in mind that if you change from the Pre-Paid Max plan to the Long Life Plus plan, you will lose any Data that you have saved in the Data Bank...as the Long Life Plus plan doesn't have Data Bank.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates#RCG

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

View solution in original post

Hi OverseasMostly, 

There could be another option you could consider.

You could stay on the Pre-Paid Max plan and recharge however you're recharging now (as you wrote that the recharge hss expired when you receive a text).

When you receive a text from the Bank or another service, recharge $5 (which has 4 day's expiry) or $20 (which has 14 day's expiry). 

The $5 and $20 recharge will show in your Account as "Recharge Credit".

The charge's to reply to a text message will come out of this "Recharge Credit"

I'm not sure how many text messages you need to reply to, as to whether this would be a viable option.

If you did stay on the Pre-Paid Max plan and recharged $150 twice for the year, it would equate to paying $25/month for a year.

I hope this makes sense to you Smiley Happy

Hi OverseasMostly,

Apologies for giving you a bum steer in my last reply Smiley Sad

You actually need to have an Active Recharge (which means a Recharge that hasn't Expired) in order to put a $5 or $20 recharge on.

Therefore if your recharge has expired you won't be able to use this option.

OverseasMostly
Level 2: Rookie

Hi Smiley,

Thanks heaps for your responses.

Looks like its either a $25 a month plan to send a text once in a blue moon, or change my plan between LongLife and MAX plans everytime i get back to Oz.

Im thinking it will make more sense $-wise to change plans each time.

Again, thanks for your help!

Highlighted

Hi OverseasMostly,

You're welcome Smiley Happy

It does make sense $ wise to change between plans, I'd  personally choose this option too.

Just remember to change your plan first then put a recharge on to get the benefits of the new plan.

I'm pretty sure that if you're on the Long Life Plus plan then change to the Max plan, any unused "Recharge Credit" will rollover over to the Max plan.

With a Max plan recharge you don't get "Recharge Credit" like the Long Life Plus plan's recharge.

As long as you keep recharging before the expiry date of both the plans, any unused "Recharge Credit" should keep rolling over.

If you did have some "Recharge Credit" left over from the Long Life Plus plan when you change to the Max plan, you could purchase a Data Top Up pack for the Max plan while you're in Australia with this credit, if you use all the Data in your recharge before it's expiry date.

There's 2 amounts for a Data Top Up pack on the Max plan.

$5= 1GB, $20= 4GB.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/plus-packs

Although in the above link it states that the Data gets saved directly into the Data Bank, you need to convert the $5 or $20 into Data first.

The below link has instructions on how to do this.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/mobiles-tablets/pre-paid/how-to-add-a-plus-pack-on-pre-p...

Telstra 24x7®

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more