CrowdSupport®
Robbo262
Level 1: Cadet

Will I get my Money Back??

Answered

G'Day,

My pre-paid mobile account was due yesterday, 11/8/19 but I missed the expiry time by less than 1 hour. It was  actually 12.30am when I noticed I've forgot to pay it,( I fell asleep) , but by the time I got onto the computer to pay it, it was before 1.00am . I've had this phone since around 2016, and I had a ' Data, Freedom Credit , International Credit, Rollerover Data, Rollover Freedom Credit ' plan all that time. Thats the plan that was on it when I got the phone as a gift. I rarely use all the ' bells & whistles' .  All I do is send & receive texts, send & receive calls and thats it .  But over that time, I have accumulated $895.00 worth of credit. Because....if I didn't pay before the due date, I'd lose the lot, which is exaclty what happened last night .  I have  asked for the expiry date to be extended more than once for this very reason over the years, but to no avail, with the exception of one  call operator in QLD extending my ED a further 6 months some time ago.  Other  times I have asked ,  they have refused  to extend it. The last time I tried, the operators accent was so strong, (she was trying to be helpful) , but , I couldn't understand what  the  operator was saying because of the  accent, and no offence & disrespect to the operator. 

All I want now is my $895- back, thats my money, not Telstras. I have lodged a formal complaint with Telstra. All I can do now is wait.....while my hair goes grey. 

So, what are the chances of getting my $895 back? Someone please tell me I haven't lost it completely? ( my money that is , not my marbles Smiley Happy )  Also, is it possible for me to get a refund , but leaving $40- 50-  for new plan? 

When I do, I will try for a different plan, but with much longer expiry dates. 

Hope someone can help .

Thank you, Robbo 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Will I get my Money Back??

Hi Robbo,

Sounds like you're on the Pre-Paid Freedom Plus offer.

I must say your were very lucky that at one time you were able to get the expiry date extended to 6 month's....that was a great save of money (a minimum of $180) that you didn't have to outlay.

It's very rare for the expiry date to be extended on a Pre-Paid plan other than the original Long Life plan...or the Long Life Plus plan that has replaced the Long Life plan.

Were you ever advised to change your plan to the Long Life plan?

You're accumulated recharge credit would have carried over to the Long Life....which has an option for a longer expiry recharge.

All your calls and text are at Pay As You Go rate's...which means that the charge's come out of your accumulated recharge credit.

If Telstra are going to give you the money back, it's more likely that they'll put the credit back onto your mobile service account.

I changed from the Freedom Plus plan about 8 month's ago...and my accumulated recharge credit was transferred over to the Pre-Paid Max plan that I'm on now...I didn't lose the money.

In the below link you'll see the current Pre-Paid plans.

With the Pre-Paid Max plan your actual recharge credit doesn't accumulate whenever you put a recharge on.

With the Pre-Paid Long Life Plus plan the recharge credit does accumulate.

The rates for Long Life Plus at PAYG rates are 30cents/minute or part of a minute, and 30cents per text.

The Long Plus might be a better option for you. You'd have to work out how much it would cost at the PAYG rates compared to the plan you're on now which has a $ amount allowance towards calls and unlimited text to  Australian numbers.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates#llplus

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 25: The Singularity

No one can help you through this forum. 

You can lodge a formal complaint about it if you wish, but the terms of the prepaid plan that you are on are quite clear so I wouldn't be holding my breath. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Accepted Solution

Hi Robbo,

Sounds like you're on the Pre-Paid Freedom Plus offer.

I must say your were very lucky that at one time you were able to get the expiry date extended to 6 month's....that was a great save of money (a minimum of $180) that you didn't have to outlay.

It's very rare for the expiry date to be extended on a Pre-Paid plan other than the original Long Life plan...or the Long Life Plus plan that has replaced the Long Life plan.

Were you ever advised to change your plan to the Long Life plan?

You're accumulated recharge credit would have carried over to the Long Life....which has an option for a longer expiry recharge.

All your calls and text are at Pay As You Go rate's...which means that the charge's come out of your accumulated recharge credit.

If Telstra are going to give you the money back, it's more likely that they'll put the credit back onto your mobile service account.

I changed from the Freedom Plus plan about 8 month's ago...and my accumulated recharge credit was transferred over to the Pre-Paid Max plan that I'm on now...I didn't lose the money.

In the below link you'll see the current Pre-Paid plans.

With the Pre-Paid Max plan your actual recharge credit doesn't accumulate whenever you put a recharge on.

With the Pre-Paid Long Life Plus plan the recharge credit does accumulate.

The rates for Long Life Plus at PAYG rates are 30cents/minute or part of a minute, and 30cents per text.

The Long Plus might be a better option for you. You'd have to work out how much it would cost at the PAYG rates compared to the plan you're on now which has a $ amount allowance towards calls and unlimited text to  Australian numbers.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates#llplus

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Robbo262

Thank you for your reply.

Right now, all I need from Telstra is some assurance  that I will get my money back, and we'll sort out a plan later .  If it was a much smaller amount  I wouldn't be so concerned , but $895.00 is just too much to lose , its a whopping great chunk of money. 

Even if I did go on another plan and they put the money back,  $895 is enough credit to last  for some  years . 

I have yet to hear from Telstra . 

Robbo262 

You need to call 125 8880 and speak to a consultant or chat via https://livechat.telstra.com 

Nothing can be done through Crowdsupport.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Robbo262

Sorry to hear about the frustration you are experiencing.

Can I ask how long ago the complaint was lodged for the outstanding matter mentioned?

Also do you have the complaint reference generated at the time of submission?

Please let me know so I can assist further.

- Stef

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Robbo262

G' Day Stef,

thank you for your reply, hope you can help.

The reference number is:

Request Number: SR 1-2155776040090 and it was lodged  12 Aug. at 12:55 am .  The expiry was 11/8/19  11.59:59PM AEST

It was 12.30 am until I realised what happened. 

Hope this helps, thank you

Robbo 

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the reply @Robbo262, a case manager will be assigned to investigate. 

When you lodge a complaint, we aim to make contact within five business days and we will aim to resolve your issue within 10 business days. If it takes longer, we'll keep you updated on our progress until we solve it.

Please don't hesitate to keep us updated.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Robbo262

Well, it will be no surprise to many, that I didn't get my $895- credit  back .  Although the operator was doing her best to be helpful, I wasn't happy with the decision. She did try to compensate me with $30 credit, ...........out of the $895 I just lost??  Thanks but no thanks. If I got my money back I would be happy to change plans to a ' Long Life Plus' , but the conversation didn't get that far. 

That $895 belongs to me, not Telstra, I don't care how they  slice it.  Theres only one word to describe what they have done.......... theft !!!!   There is no other word. 

Surely someone somewhere in Telstra  can see the logic  in what has happened. If I lost a small amount, I'd just wear it, but this is  a whopping great chunk of money . Money is tight enough as it is, without losing nearly a 1000 bucks! 

I could take it further, but this is Telstra, I'd be wasting my time. 

While I didn't get my money back, I can at least voice my opinion . 

Robbo

@Robbo262, as you wrote, it's not a surprise that you didn't get your money back.

The terms and conditions for Pre-Paid state that you must recharge before the expiry date of your last recharge or you lose it. If you recharge $30 an Automatic Recharge can be set up.

You could try going through Disconnections. 

Explain what happened...that you've always recharged on time in the past...and that you are willing to change to the Pre-Paid Long Life Plus (which no-one had suggested to you previously). You've obviously been with Telstra for a few year's and don't want to change provider's.

They'll be able to put you through to the Complaints team...and hopefully a different Case Manager will be able to offer you more than a $30 Recharge.

I've personally been going through a situation with Telstra for 14 months, and had a case manager at the start who closed my case...because there was no end date at that stage and Telstra didn't want to pay $3/day until it was fixed.

I rang Disconnection's 2 week's ago and discussed it with them. I ended up with being put through to the Complaints team again....got a different Case Manager and am very happy with the outcome.

Ring 132200, say Disconnection to the automated lady. When you do speak to someone ask if they're in the Disconnection's team. If they're not ask them to transfer you to that department.

I'm not sure if the Complaints team work on the weekend...they'll be able to tell you if they do.

Telstra 24x7®

View balance, detail usage, change offers and recharge with the Telstra 24x7® App

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now