CrowdSupport®
sigmacom
Level 2: Rookie

Bad echo at start of calls on S8+

Hi,

I am a Telstra prepaid customer with a new S8+. People are complainging that there is a bad echo on the call for about the first 10-40 seconds. This happens whether or not the call is over the 3G, VoLTE or VoWifi network. The problem can be made to happen at any time during the call by switching to handsfree and back as well, so it appears to be a handset issue rather than a network issue. Has anyone else experienced this ?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Bad echo at start of calls on S8+

I've only made a couple of calls with my S8+ so far, but I haven't experienced an echo. In fact, I was quite impressed with the call quality that I had on my first call (VoLTE). I tested VoWifi on my NBN connection, and the call was quite scratchy. You could hear the other person and they could here you, but there was quite a bit of noise (static would be the old term - although signal degradation would be a more appropriate term).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
sigmacom

You can't hear any echo on the S8+ - only the other party has the echo, and it only lasts for around 20-30 seconds at the start of the call.  I suspect it's the audio feedback algorithm in the S8 taking some time to adapt. Next time you call someone could you ask them if they hear themselves echoed back at the start of the call?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the posts sigmacom. It is not good to read of your S8 call issue and appreciate the need to get the device inspected. 

The best option is to book an appointment online on the below link to visit your local Telstra Store and let one of our Tech Experts take a look at your device. They will help to run through some troubleshooting steps to see if they can resolve the issue on the spot.

https://www.telstra.com.au/telstra-store/tech-bar/booking.cfm

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

sigmacom

I tried booking a session at that link under the category of "Discuss a Fault' selecting my local Miranda NSW store and it comes up saying there are no available appointments on any day I select!!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi sigmacom,

regrettably not all stores offer a Tech bar service and in this case it appears the store you have selected does not.

I'd suggest to approach your local store and go through the faults process with them.

-Ern

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Hi @sigmacom, I've tested it out with a few calls (I even swapped phones with my wife so I could listen for myself) and haven't had any issues with echoes (even when we were in the same room - testing how it handled feedback). The only time that I did get an echo effect was when using the handsfree in the car (which is normal), but even this wasn't too bad (had worse on my previous phone - a Sony XZ).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Cherylh
Level 1: Cadet

I am having the same problem with my S8+. I would be interested to know the fix. Thanks

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Cherylh,

Have you spoken to our Mobile Faults team about this on 132200? They are the experts on these mobile issues.

Cherylh
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for your suggestion. After phoning Mobile Faults they say I have to take the phone back to a Telstra shop.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now