CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Dada_Nate
Level 1: Cadet

Galaxy S8 Locked to Telstra

Answered

I have this wierd situation, my friend always buy his phones from Telstra, this Galaxy S8 he both an a plan with insurance and everything.  What happens is that he broke the screen and when to Telstra to claim the insurance to fix, the guy from Telstra shop said that he either couldn't claim to be fixed for some reason or he only had the opption to do an Lost/Stolen claim, then he would have a new phone.

He received the new phone and got to keep the broken one. As I was thinking to buy a phone he said that he would give me the phone, I just had to fix it and it was mine. As I'm handy I checked parts to fix after disassembling the phone myself, but it was almost the same price as fixing with Samsung. Went to samsung and had it fixed for $340. When I got the phone back I tryed putting my Vodafone sim on it, but it didn't work, then I discovered it was Locked to Telstra. I went to a Telstra shop to ask to unlock but they said it can't.  I went to my friend and asked him what happened with the phone he explained me the insurance thing the Telstra guy made, then I actually got to know that it was problably sim locked as a Lost/Stolen phone. The thing is I have no fault and I don't know what to do to have it unlocked.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Galaxy S8 Locked to Telstra

If it was done as a lost/ stolen phone claim, then other than it technically being fraud, you won't be able to get it unlocked as it has been part of the insurance claim (IMEI locked as part of it). 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Accepted Solution

If it was done as a lost/ stolen phone claim, then other than it technically being fraud, you won't be able to get it unlocked as it has been part of the insurance claim (IMEI locked as part of it). 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Chris0503

Thank you for your response but that isn't my problem. My problem is the almost non-existant Reception I have in the area I live in within Port Macquarie. I do get calls, voice messages and SMS messages from other people but these can be hours, and even a day, later then they were sent or made. I have extreme difficulty myself making calls or sending messages from my place. My neighbours also experience the same problems and this is with other Carriers also.

As well, Reception elsewhere in Port is poor and very poor at times. Any ideas anyone ? Cheers, Chris

Chris Lumb
StrayaM8
Level 9: Captain

I think your posting in the wrong thread, friend

Chris0503

Thank you for relying. How should I raise this problem ?

Cheers, Chris

Chris Lumb
StrayaM8
Level 9: Captain

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-S8/Poor-Mobile-Service-in-Port-Macquarie-NS...

Jupiters response to your original thread pretty much covered it. 

"You have moved into an area that is about 4.5 - 5km from the nearest tower and the terrain is not going to help.

You could look at getting a Smart Antenna and external Yagi antenna, but that setup is going to cost around $1100-1250 minimum."

Chris0503

Thank you StrayaM8. Best answer I have received though not a happy one.

Looks like we need yo take the Problem direct to Telstra and hope they understand and respond favorably.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Lumb

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now