CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
slipmat
Level 3: Gumshoe

Galaxy S8 Oreo - New Tag Collected

Ever since the Oreo update this full-screen notification pops up on reading empty or unknown NFC tags like transport cards. It was an unobtrusive message in Marshmallow but the full screen notification in Oreo gets in the way and you have to hit the back button every time the phone gets near a card. Which is every time I use the phone since it's in a wallet case.

Is there any way to disable this useless notification? It seems device specific - I have Oreo on another handset which displays the old behaviour. I use Android Pay so disabling NFC is not an option.

Thanks

Matt

Screenshot_20180315-130016_Tags.jpg

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Galaxy S8 Oreo - New Tag Collected

Hey Matt,

I did a quick Google, and the only solutions I've found appear to require having gained root access to your phone - that's not a process to be undertaken lightly so I strongly discourage you from going down that path.

Fingers crossed a member of the community has a better answer!

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Support Team
Support Team

I did just find the following from user John on https://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20131021204303AAFpax2:

...find under Settings/Apps the application called Tags (to see it you need to go to "All" tab on the right of the default "Downloaded") and Disable this app. This will stop the pop-ups but keep the functionality as there are many tags which do things, but provide no text information - like unlocking your phone once you leave it at your dock at work for example. The purpose of Tags app is only to display the text content of the tag whenever it has mssage, but unfortunately can't make distinction if the text has meaning or not (or if there is no text at all - "Empty Tag").

Hope this helps!

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

slipmat
Level 3: Gumshoe

@Big_Dan, unfortunately that is not an option on the Telstra-branded version of this phone.

Seems crazy one needs to root a phone to resolve a problem potentially introduced by a carrier, I'm considering installing a factory ROM or requesting an alternative handset. Such a shame, I really like the S8.
Support Team
Support Team

Definitely frustrating slipmat, have you reached out to Samsung with this feedback? They're responsible for the development of the OS beyond core Android and may have a fix in the works - we'd then put it through some testing before giving it the green light for release.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now