CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Aussiebluemoon
Level 1: Cadet

S8 camera focus issue

My wife and I both received our S8s yesterday.

Her phone has an issue with the rear facing camera.

The focus seems to be stuck at about 30cm.

Anything further away is just a blur.

What to do?

We've tried the clear cache amd memory solution that seemed to be a fix for a similar S7 camera issue, and it's not resolved the problem.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: S8 camera focus issue

Swipe right on the screen and put the camera into PRO mode. Then select the focus and make sure it is set to AF instead of MF (if it is already AF, put it into MF, then back to AF) and see if that helps.

Also, if you tap on an object on the screen, then the camera "should" focus on that object.

The camera on my S8+ is working perfectly, and it is essentially the same hardware. It sounds like a software issue.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Aussiebluemoon

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tried it, and didnt fix the issue.

Even manual focus wouldnt alter the focus at all.

However late last night, the camera decided to start working of it's own volition. /shrug

jennypacabis

If you haven't resolved it until now, try and give the phone a shake whenever it happens.

There's either something wrong with the OIS, whether it be a software issue or a hardware issue I'm not 100% sure, but I'm hoping it's software!
Nallanov

I have the same problem with my S8 about half the times I open the camera app. Shaking the phone fixes the issue. Very troubling for a brand new phone to be doing this. Hopefully the issue will be addressed by Samsung.

John12345678

Hi,

this seems to be a common fault.

The camera would intermittently not focus, checked all settings, power off and on etc etc. To temporarily fix it immediately, I would have to tap/shake the phone. Pretty annoying.

I first notified Samsung of the fault 5 days after purchasing the phone, they advised that it had to be assessed by a Samsung Service Centre. After the assessment, I was advised that the fault cannot be fixed now and will be fixed with the next software update. I was given a $100 Visa debit card for my troubles.

I will wait for the next software update.

Rick282

Thanks Jupiter, Switching to Pro mode as you suggest fixed the issue for my new S8!

John12345678

So this morning I did the firmware upgrade as advised it will be fixed by Samsung.
Still same fault. Does not focus intermittently.
Will report to Samsung and see what they will do. Seems like a fault that has been happening since S3

Louloujb22

If you shake the phone while camrea is open, it will focus.
Teagz1

Tap the screen and then shake the phone. It's a motion thing apparently.
Bedford

My partner & I both have Galaxy S8's on Telstra plan. We got them in January at the same time.
My partner has had no trouble with rear camera focus however Telstra ordered a replacement for mine which was intermittently loosing focus.
The replacement seemed to be OK for a while, then that cellphone developed the same problem. I decided to take it to a Samsung outlet & the tech said it is a hardware problem not software & if I was to flick the RHS of the cellphone it would come good.
He was right but this should be!
No wonder Samsung are sunging the praises of the camera on their Galaxy S9 . Perhaps Telstra should get Samsung to replace all faulty S8's with S9's?

For a hardware fault like that, you can bypass Telstra. The Samsung store can arrange a repair under warranty for you.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now