CrowdSupport®
marvy
Level 3: Gumshoe

Samsung Note 8 wifi with exclamation mark

This has been happening on and off, more so on, that the wifi symbol on the status bar on the handset also displays the exclamation mark ( ! ) right beside it.  It says that I am connected to the router through the settings though I have no internet connection on my handset.  I know there is a software update to Android 10 but I don't want it.  Other people I know have updated and it's rubbish, taking away some of the functionality of 9.

Any ideas

Screenshot_20190930-122505_Samsung Experience Home CROP.jpgScreenshot_20190930-122524_Settings CROP.jpg

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Samsung Note 8 wifi with exclamation mark

Hi Marvy. Thanks for coming through. Do other devices on the same network connect to the net okay? Does the phone display that symbol across multiple different wi fi connections? That logo means that your handset and modem are talking to each other, but that the modem isn't online. - Matthew. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

marvy

Hi Matthew,  All other devices connect to the gateway, hence the internet without a problem, even when my handset is showing the offending wifi symbol.  I have turned the gateway off and on again when this happens, also cycling the wifi connection on the handset at the same time, it will connect though eventually fail to remain connected to the internet, though connection to the gateway remains whilst other devices are ok.  So far since opening this thread it has been ok, though this has been happening intermittently for a little while now, maybe a month or so...  Cheers

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @marvy,

Have you been able to forget the WiFi network on your Note8 and then enter the set up again? Also, try the other WiFi channel for the modem? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

marvy

Hi IvanS,
I have previously done as you have suggested in forgetting the network on the handset and re-set-up, with the same outcome...  The gateway didn't come with any type of manual so a little unsure on how to set the modem up a different channel, or to see what channels are available and their activity...  If you had any information on doing this it would be appreciated and I could give it a go...
Cheers

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for your response @marvy

Most modems will have 2 channels when you search for a Wi-Fi connection. A 5 Ghz channel and a 2.4 Ghz channel. When you click on Wi-Fi in your phone settings do you see 2 options there for your modem?

I look forward to your response.

- Jimmy

marvy

Hi Jimmy,
Don't see the two channels on the handset (see below)
Screenshot_20191014-174025_Settings.jpg
I can only see the two channels when browsing to the gateway (see below)
Gateway.png

Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

@marvy Go into your modem WiFi settings and 'unitck' Band Steering Enabled and save settings.

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @marvy,

How did you go with the details Ozmoz advised? 

Highlighted
marvy

Too early to tell just yet...  The issue is sporadic... 

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now