Highlighted
GARNZ
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Samsung Galaxy 8 network locked

Answered

I have a Telstra bought unlocked Samsung Galaxy 8 which was repaired at Samsung Melbourne Central recently. The LCD and both back and front screens were replaced. The phone was reset and now it is network locked and won't accept any sim card, including a telstra simcard. Through the imei the phone has been verified as a Telstra phone and that it should be unlocked. Thus a network pin code doesn't exist to unlock the phone. The phone was taken back to Samsung and a technician spent less than a minute to say that it couldn't be fixed by them. Telstra consultants have said that Samsung will need to fix the problem.  A solution exists but I've yet to speak with a savvy consultant whom will contact Samsung to work out how to generate an unlock code. Any takers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TheChosenOne
Level 8: Inspector
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Samsung Galaxy 8 network locked

Hi GARNZ,
In relation to your phone being locked to a network. It must be Samsung to unlock it,
With Telstra, they can only unlock the phone (but with your sim working on it)
However on your case, any sim won't work which means it's a phone issue not on a network side.

I would suggest to bring the phone to a TechBar or Samsung Store again.
Always here to help. Please don't forget to click the Like button if you "like" what I suggested Smiley Happy

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
TheChosenOne
Level 8: Inspector
Accepted Solution

Hi GARNZ,
In relation to your phone being locked to a network. It must be Samsung to unlock it,
With Telstra, they can only unlock the phone (but with your sim working on it)
However on your case, any sim won't work which means it's a phone issue not on a network side.

I would suggest to bring the phone to a TechBar or Samsung Store again.
Always here to help. Please don't forget to click the Like button if you "like" what I suggested Smiley Happy

Hi

I presume from your grammar that you're either not in Australia or English is your second language. Irrespective, the phone has a Telstra sim card in it. The issue is that because it's supposed to be unlocked, so Telstra doesn't have a code doesn't exist for it. You're the 6th Telstra person I've communicated with and each and every one of you are reading screens and lack the initiative to ring Samsung and find the capacity to generate a code and provide a solution . The flaw is that nobody thought that an unlocked phone could be locked. Thus, didn't bother to generate codes for the phone. This is the second occasion that I've had an unlocked phone that was locked because the phone was reset.

To avoid the issue for other people, all supposed unlocked phones should have unlocked codes generated, so that if repairs and phone resets occur, people can ring and have the issue resolved. In less than a week I've spoken to 11 people and only 1 person has bothered to properly read what I write and think outside the square. Today I will take the phone back to Samsung and if there's still an issue I'm going to ask for a replacement. However, the account will be transferred to a new network provider, even if they too read off screens.
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

@GARNZ. In this case, it is Samsung who have caused the problem and yet you are expecting Telstra to be able to fix it.

Telstra haven't sold any network locked Samsung Galaxy S8 phones, so why would you expect them to know what has happened? You took it to Samsung, they reset it, and in the process have managed to network lock it to a carrier other than Telstra. Samsung are the ones who are obliged to, and have the capability, to fix the problem. Telstra can only get network unlock codes for phones that have been network locked to Telstra.

As far as any grammar problem, the answer that was given was clear, concise and correct, so you can stop your prejudices right here and now.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
GARNZ

I'm not prejudice, poor English grammar is poor English grammar!  The only time I ever read poor grammar is from people for whom English is a second language or whom don't reside in Australia.  I was surprised because it's the first time, I've read it from an employee of a professional organisation such as Telstra.  I wasn't being derogatory nor was it to be insulting.  The grammar is irrelevant but something to be mindful of when communicating with people with poor English comprehension capabilities. Fortunately, I'm able to connect the dots, but I know that people would be easily confused.  Thus, the answer wasn't clear or correct.

Revise what was previously stated and correct me if I'm wrong. Samsung provide the hardware and the telco impose the network locks?  I stated that the phone was a Telstra unlocked phone. I also stated that the phone was reset, imposing a network lock on the phone. Also stated was to eliminate issues such issues, unlock codes should be generated on the premise of "just in case".  One only has to think of the Titanic, the "unsinkable" ship, to know that the unthinkable occurs.  

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@GARNZ

So far, no one in this thread has directly identified as a Telstra Employee (except for me now)

Please remember that CrowdSupport is a customer forum that is moderated by Telstra Staff. It's also contributed to by a number of Staff in their "down time".

The vast majority of comments and posts here are made by fellow customers.

Without wanting to draw attention to grammar claims, these statements are unnecessary. Further comments that could be viewed as an attack or that do not contribute in a meaningful way to the thread will be removed.

To answer your question:

• Typically speaking, Carriers do control the Network Locking of devices, however this is usually at the request of the carrier. Ultimately, the manufacturer still provides the unlocking codes.
  • If your phone was locked after a repair by Samsung, and now will not accept even a Telstra SIM Card, Telstra has no way to request the phone be unlocked as it is very likely that locking is not Telstra's.
  • As already mentioned in this thread, We've not Network Locked a Galaxy S8 - ever.

I would hazard a guess that when your phone was repaired by Samsung, it was potentially flashed with another carriers firmware which imposed the lock. Likely a carrier that does indeed lock their phones.

If this is the case, Telstra definitely have no way to request an unlock for another carriers firmware.

You will need to discuss your options with Samsung.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

GARNZ

I was referred to this site by a Telstra employee, whom insisted that I use this forum to formally register a complaint. I queried the logic because it didn't make sense and I did a quick search of what crowdsupport was. I read a few of the posts and realised that it was a blog for people to bitch about Telstra. As I had been advised by a Telstra employee, whom should've referred me to an internal Telstra department, not what is obviously a public blog, I made the statement. Now you've confirmed what this site is. Irrespective, of all that, the conversation with Jupiter (which now makes a lot of sense), has finally provided a person whom may actually know how to direct a Samsung technician, this afternoon when the phone is once again taken into a Samsung centre. Thank you

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now