CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Finchy_
Level 1: Cadet

WiFi Calling keeps repeatedly enabling the Location Service (GPS)

I've just spent the last month (with a new S8+) tearing my hair out as to why the Location Service (GPS) keeps automatically turning itself on every time I enable the WiFi (phone is mostly kept in flight mode). I've finally discovered today that the IMS Service from the WiFi Calling enables the Location Service on the phone. So I switch Location off.. but sure enough it keeps switching back on over and over again. Very #$@%ing annoying! Smiley Mad Especially as I have my Google Location Reporting and Google Location History both disabled, so every time the Location Service gets triggered I am prompted with a popup box to agree to Google's location service terms (every flippin' time WiFi Calling keeps re-enabling the Location!).

Because my phone mostly lives in Flight Mode when I'm at home and at work it would actually be very useful for me to have the WiFi Calling feature, however I don't want my phone to permanently have the Location enabled, and it uses more battery too.

So my question is: Can we please stop the WiFi Calling from enabling the Location service?
Thank you kindly.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: WiFi Calling keeps repeatedly enabling the Location Service (GPS)

My understanding is that there are two reasons why it needs it activated. The first is so it shows the locations for billing purposes (the originating location) and can be used for emergency calls to aid in location information (at least in theory)

That being said, there might be some way to allow it to stay off. Hopefully one of the tech team might be able to confirm.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

tdubster
Level 2: Rookie

Yes this is annoying.

I want to turn off WiFi Calling and VoLTE, but telstra have had this removed in their version of the S8+ Firmware.

Does anyone know another way of disabling?

tdubster

Actually WiFi Calling is in a different spot than other carriers.

But can't find VoLTE setting.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@tdubster

To turn off the VoLTE on an android phone with Telstra Firmware, please give us a call on 125111 so we can arrange this for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

tdubster

For anyone interested you can turn off VoLTE with a short cut manager and creating a short cut to enhanced LTE settings and turning it off if you don't want to call Telstra

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now