Highlighted
BobD50
Level 2: Rookie

AFL Live on Samsung Galaxy S3 4G

Answered
Since last Update AFL app by Telstra will connect using Mobile Data or WIFI. Internet not available popup appears. Something about firmware 4.4.4 will not work whereas 5 & above OK. Bull**bleep** lockout by Telstra not AFL. Worked OK last year until latest version update. By the way NRL, AFLW works at the moment until some wanker reworks those Apps. I bet football and netball apps work as well. ALL PROVIDED BY TELSTRA for Mobile customers as a free benefit from Telstra. Being an older software should not restrict access to an app that worked perfectly before December 2018. Hardware is still compliant. Bet if I use some patched firmware. ie Android 5.1 on Galaxy S3 AFL Live would connect and work as it did before latest update. Fix it now. STOP RESTRICTING ACCESS.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BobD50
Accepted Solution

Re: AFL Live on Samsung Galaxy S3 4G

That maybe so, but the app worked up until Dec 2018, and not now with the latest update. I realise firmware is not upgraded after a few years, It is just a Marketing Tool used by Manufacturer's especially Samsung to get you to buy another new phone, when the old model still works OK. Is Fit for service. I will now just use new Firmware available from many sources and continue to use my S3 That allows MDL to HDMI so I can watch AFL on the Big TV Screen, that my newer Samsung Tablet does not have that function. I worked for Telstra for 4 decades as a Mobiles Expert, since Analogue thru to 4G, so I know a lot about Phones and their capabilities. There is always a fix using Firmware, you just need the knowledge and patience to search for a solution. Telstra can fix this easily, they just don't want to, and probably this App's developer is to lazy to fix it. As I already stated AFLW and NRL apps still work on the S3 on Android 4.4.4. A quick line change in AFL LIVE would restore the app's capability to work as it did for the previous 6 years.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 20: Director

Developers eventually drop support for older systems as updates are released to avoid bloating the app. This happens with all apps not just this one.
Your device is 6 years old which is ancient in mobile phone terms. The firmware has not been supported by Samsung for 3 years.
The fault is not Telstras, you have an obsolete handset and soon most of your apps will fall over. If you want to run current software get a newer handset that is supported
I am not a Telstra employee, so all opinions are my own, I have been around Telstra products a long time and have a reasonably strong general tech knowledge. .
BobD50
Accepted Solution

That maybe so, but the app worked up until Dec 2018, and not now with the latest update. I realise firmware is not upgraded after a few years, It is just a Marketing Tool used by Manufacturer's especially Samsung to get you to buy another new phone, when the old model still works OK. Is Fit for service. I will now just use new Firmware available from many sources and continue to use my S3 That allows MDL to HDMI so I can watch AFL on the Big TV Screen, that my newer Samsung Tablet does not have that function. I worked for Telstra for 4 decades as a Mobiles Expert, since Analogue thru to 4G, so I know a lot about Phones and their capabilities. There is always a fix using Firmware, you just need the knowledge and patience to search for a solution. Telstra can fix this easily, they just don't want to, and probably this App's developer is to lazy to fix it. As I already stated AFLW and NRL apps still work on the S3 on Android 4.4.4. A quick line change in AFL LIVE would restore the app's capability to work as it did for the previous 6 years.
BobD50

By the way I don't accept the solution. I cannot remove the acceptance Tick, to allow a reply.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @BobD50

Thank you for your post. 

As per the terms and conditions, the AFL Live Pass is compatible with Android devices running Android 5 and above. 

If your device is running an earlier version of Android, we cannot guarantee that the app will work as intended. 

Live streaming via the AFL Live App is restricted to a 7-inch screen size and any form of external video output (HDMI/ChromeCast/Mirroring) of streamed content is not permitted and is not provided as part of any AFL Live Pass, which is why your newer Samsung tablet does not allow you to do this, because it is not allowed. 

My apologies for any inconvenience. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now