Highlighted
lorie
Level 2: Rookie

Are tablets purchased from Telstra LOCKED or Unlocked? If so, what does it take to unlock them?

Answered

Hi,

I received a "Telstra 4 GX" Samsung Tab A 8".

Question A: IS THIS LOCKED to telstra (as it's only available on a 2 year plan)?

Since I plan to travel around I would like to know:

1. Does it cost anything to unlock my tablet?

2.  Will it auto-unlock after the assumed 2 year plan expires?

3.  is there a way to unlock it free of charge.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Are tablets purchased from Telstra LOCKED or Unlocked? If so, what does it take to unlock them

Being on a Post Paid Plan, it should be unlocked.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Accepted Solution

Re: Are tablets purchased from Telstra LOCKED or Unlocked? If so, what does it take to unlock them

Being on a Post Paid Plan, it should be unlocked.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 19: Deputy Director

SIne its on a post paid plan it should not be locked if you try and find it is simple go down to your telstra shop and they will unlock it free of charge.

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so. "button"
lorie

turns out it was purchased outright, NOT under plan.

Does it mean it is locked to telstra still?

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @lorie,

It would depend entirely on what type of schedule you purchased the device outright from. Some of our devices are sold at a subsidised price for the purpose of being used exclusively on the Telstra network, unless you wish to pay to unlock them from the network.

Can I please confirm if the device you purchased is the one found at the following link? - https://www.telstra.com.au/tablets/tablets-on-a-plan/samsung-galaxy-tab-a

Please let me know and I can attempt to assist you further

Regards

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 20: Director

If it was purchased as a prepaid device it will be locked if you paid full retail it will be unlocked
I am not a Telstra employee, so all opinions are my own, I have been around Telstra products a long time and have a reasonably strong general tech knowledge. .
lorie

It was a gift so unsure whether purchased through telstra store or online.  is there a difference?

Is there a telstra logo when it starts up?
I am not a Telstra employee, so all opinions are my own, I have been around Telstra products a long time and have a reasonably strong general tech knowledge. .

Probably the easiest way to check if you know someone with an optus or vodafone sim drop it and you will get a box telling you it is locked if it is
TommyTheTankEng
Level 6: Bloodhound

I have an iPad purchased via a 1GB plan probably 4 or 5 months ago. I was assured by a Telstra employee that it was not locked to Telstra. However now I'm overseas on holiday I tried it with an foreign SIM and get the message "No SIM card"

I looked at the Telstra page about unlocking an iPhone which is essentially "use this page to enter IMEI, wait 72 hours, back up and restore iPad using iTunes and all will be well"

70 hours to go! Any other suggestions?

A locked device wont give a no sim card error. It will tell you it is an incorrect carrier. If its no sim card the card is faulty or not in properly remove and reinstall the sim see how that goes if not check the sim in another device if possible the otjer possibility is the carrier settings need ti be updated. Contact apple for this
TommyTheTankEng
Level 6: Bloodhound

Thanks - it must have been the carrier settings because when I put a few different SIM cards in the iPad, the one I wanted eventually worked. Thanks for the advice

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now