CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Taiotee
Level 2: Rookie

Galaxy Note 8 Oreo (8.0) update ETA

Answered
I've recently seen that Samsung is rolling out the 8.0 update for the stock Note 8 and I'm a little concerned that the update is not even featured on the Telstra pending-updates page. Can somebody enlighten me on the ETA of the OTA update?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Galaxy Note 8 Oreo (8.0) update ETA

Google send a generic update to Samsung, who’s job is then to customise it for their different devices, this is done in the priority they see fitting, then it is sent to the Telco to test and approve, then it is sent back to Samsung to send to the devices OTA.

Google have released Oreo, Samsung haven’t built a version for the Note 8 in Aus yet obviously if they are saying that they don’t have it yet, so Telstra would be waiting on this before they can test/approve it.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
33 REPLIES 33
Darkfleet30

I would also really like to know why this is the case. Telstras reason/excuse will probably be along the lines of having to test the OS on their network. Wouldn't expect that to take place in the next 3 months...
Boyd2
Level 1: Cadet

I would like to know an ETA if possible as well. Thank you.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Taiotee

Regrettably no ETA at this stage and our team will have the update available ASAP.

Apologies for the delays.

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 25: The Singularity

It got released in France 3 days ago. If it is like the S8 Oreo rollout, it will be a week before a significant number of markets receive it (allows for bugs to be found without screwing everyone everywhere over).

With the S8+ it took a month after initial launch to become available in Australia (and most countries). Which is not a bad thing. There were some serious issues with the initial release.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
FlyingBlind

Why does it take Telstra so long to roll out an update? Is it to ensure the Pocket News app will work?
Flying Blind

The process involves them receiving the update from the manufacturer, then testing, sending back any issues found, those being fixed by the manufacturer (which can take time depending on the manufacturer and how they prioritise the work) and sent back, tested again, this is repeated until it is approved for release, it then goes back to the manufacturer again who then schedule the OTA release, this is then usually done over the period of a couple of weeks in smaller batches to help minimise load on their service and help minimise issues arising.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

tdubster

I have it downloading now, Telstra Stock s8+. Did a check on my wifes s8 (outright non branded) , no update.

dheir79
Level 4: Private Eye

I don't know what's up with telstra getting updates for the note 8? All 4 major carriers in the USA have released it already and its about to rollout to unlocked devices. https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/9to5google.com/2018/03/26/samsung-galaxy-s8-note-8-android-oreo-unlo...

That's just how Samsung rolls it out.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
g_alahad
Level 3: Gumshoe

I know even NewZealand has it.

Yes. Vodafone NZ got it on 1st March, another carrier on the 28th March and the last hasn't received it yet.

No Australian carrier has it yet though
g_alahad

managed to get oreo on my phone and have samsung pay telstra rich text chat in messages and volte. using new zealands firmware. all works well

dheir79

Now unlocked devices in the states have oreo for the note 8. It seems the testing process for unlocked devices takes considerably longer as they must be tested on all networks before rollout. Why is this not even in testing yet? https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/04/03/android-8-0-oreo-rolling-us-unlocked-galaxy-note8/
g_alahad

I don't know why they have not released it yet I have the  New Zealand Oreo  firmware on and all working with  volte Samsung pay and telstra rich text messaging.

galahad1234

Unbranded note 8 firmware for Oreo has been released for australia. Xsan version
g_alahad

optus  also released theirs too!

Mr_Garibaldi

Spoke to Telstra they say they have Oreo for S8, S8+ S9 and S9+... nothing yet for Note 8, i was then told to speak to Samsung, which I did. They Informed me that as it was a Android software update, and I would need to speak to Google... and this wasnt their problem... seems its my problem... talk about given the run around
Accepted Solution

Google send a generic update to Samsung, who’s job is then to customise it for their different devices, this is done in the priority they see fitting, then it is sent to the Telco to test and approve, then it is sent back to Samsung to send to the devices OTA.

Google have released Oreo, Samsung haven’t built a version for the Note 8 in Aus yet obviously if they are saying that they don’t have it yet, so Telstra would be waiting on this before they can test/approve it.
Helpful Links

Darkfleet30

Where did you pull that info from? Other telcos have released the update and so has Samsung for the unbranded note 8 in Australia...?

I was saying if Samsung told Mr_Garibaldi they didn't have Oreo and it was because of Google that was wrong since they obviously have it to have made the other oreo releases. I haven't actually looked in the last week but was saying if Samsung is saying there isn't an Australian release that wouldn't be a Google issue, that is on Samsung...

I hadn't looked and hadn't read the two posts before that one clear enough obviously, that is my fault, but from what I can see now I looked it only got officially released this week, so now it will be in the testing and adjusting phase between Telstra and Samsung until the release is approved by Telstra then pushed out by Samsung.
Helpful Links

Level 22: Superhuman

If you can't wait for Telstra approved software....you should find it on samobile.com ehich will be generic
And not advised
The update may increase your battery consumption
Regards P.P.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Level 22: Superhuman

If you can't wait for Telstra approved software....you should find it on samobile.com which will be generic
And not advised
The update may increase your battery consumption
Regards P.P.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Whitey13

Just installed the Australian Oreo version on my Telstra branded note 8.

So far so good.
dheir79

Where did you get the firmware from? It wasn't a software update from Telstra right, was it Sammobile?
Whitey13

Telstra will be at least another 6 months off if you go off their past roll out times.

Sam mobile has one but used this one https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=818070582850501773
Whitey13

Quick update, appears Oreo breaks RCS on note 8 with Telstra support via 125 111 actually having no idea what RCS was and was trying to get me to fix iMessages

So word of warning RCS may not work if you load this new version of Oreo.
Whitey13

Update on the update, appears the link I posted above isn't the Australian version hence the RCS not working. Downloaded and installed the Australian version from sammobile and RCS now works again.
dheir79

So I just saw a Tweet from an aus vodafone customer with screenshots of the oreo update and Samsung aus liking it. I'm not sure how different telstra's network or note 8 device is from Vodafone to justify not even having oreo in testing. I knew telstra was bad with updates when I switched back over from Vodafone but I took the great network coverage as a trade off. Still, this is just ridiculous!
SalvationTower

I grabbed the XSA (unbranded) oreo firmware from sammobile - it all works but there are a few funny things... samsung health reports device is rooted (and doesnt work), and it has two entrys for T roaming and service provider (KT two phone and My wifi home settings) hopefully telstra release their image quick smart... also of note optus and vodafone have also released their oreo images... so telstra's reasons are a bit thin...
Whitey13

Sounds like you grabbed the wrong one. Get the generic Australian none telco one (I notice Optus and vodaphone have there ones on there)

Let me know if you can't find it as I can link it for you
Whitey13

This is the one I used with nil issue

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-note8/SM-N950F/XSA/download/N950FXXU3CRC7/213991/

When I flashed the CSC I used the home one and not the other one
Pratik27

One of my friend who is with Vodafone his note 8 got an update last Friday and if Telstra wants I can send U guys his software details ss.
Darkfleet30

Just received the update finally. Glad to see they keep the update page updated haha

Screenshot_20180413-164117.jpg

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now