Highlighted
Teresa16
Level 2: Rookie

Galaxy S8 Warranty

Answered
I purchased the S8 as it was advertised as being waterproof.

2 weeks after purchase the phone was put on charge overnight.
Whilst we were asleep and the phone charging the phone completely reset itself and turned off.
When I turned the phone on in the morning it was like a brand new phone straight out of the box.
All my information and settings were wiped. I had to set it up all over again.
When I spoke to Samsung they told me that this was not an issue so was not covered by the warranty for a replacement. Even though they could not guarantee me that this would not happen again in the future.

Around a month after that I dropped it in water for about 5 seconds.
Couldnt recharge as it said "Moisture in port"
I assumed it would be ok in a few hours.
1 month later I cannot use a charging cable at all, and will only charge intermittenly on a wireless charger. And the phone is always shutting down and going back to the home page when Im trying to use it.

Now I am trying to get a replacement from Samsung but they wont even repair it for free (want to charge me over $200). They say that the phone is NOT waterproof at all. Even though it is marketed as being waterproof.

So im now 5 months into a contract for a S8 that I havent been able to use for the last 4 months.
Has anyone else had similar issues.
Tx
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Teresa16
Accepted Solution

Re: Galaxy S8 Warranty

Hi Delta Squad.

Thankyou so much for that IP information. Not understanding all the technical jargon, I did have a bit of trouble understanding the IP thingy, but the info in that link helps a lot to understand it all a bit better.

Yes Ive resigned myself to the fact that the warranty wont cover the damage.
I think that both Samsung themselves as well as any companies or stores selling these and other similar smart phones need to give much more specific information about what they class as "Water Resistant" , more specific information on the terms of "IP" and exactly what the warranty will and will not cover. There have been a number of advertisements for these phones (some S8's specifically) which are very misleading and go directly against the warranty terms and the IP specs. One ad in particular shows a S8 (not in a case) being used to photograph fish and corals whilst snorkelling.
From the information I have been given from Samsung staff and from various websites, whilst fresh water is not a problem it is not recommended for salt water at all, and if so it should be only in a very specific case and always rinse in fresh water really well.
Tx

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
MonkeeSee
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi Teresa,

You could try and submit it to Telstra so it could be assessed by a Technician.
They will be able to check to see if the device has any liquid ingress ( Where the liquid has made it into the internals)
Also something to be aware of is the fact that water resistance of phones is affected by a lot of different factors and it might be a good idea to have a quick Google so you can see if your going to have a claim if it comes down to liquid ingress.
Smiley Happy
My wisdom is my own and my views are too!
I am not here to represent Telstra or any of thier partners, nor do I represent thier views.
I am here to help people out in my spare time and gain some wisdom and knowledge just like you Smiley Happy
Teresa16

Hi MonkeeSee
When I first had the problem I took the phone back to the Telstra shop, I was told that they could send the phone back to Samsung to be assesed which would take a few weeks or I could take it directly to the local Samsung store myself and it would only take a few days. The guy at Telstra said they dont deal with warranty issues they send them back to the manufacturer. So I took it to Samsung myself.

The phone has already bern assesed. Water got into the charging port, which is why I couldnt use a charger cable. The internals have corrosion from the water.

When I was told that the water damage was not covered under the warranty I questioned them about it as the phone is marketed as waterproof, so it should be covered. The lady at Samsung also told me to check my warranty card and the internet for the fine print details of the warranty.

I have read the warranty card, as well as all the available information on a number of different websites and I cannot find any information at all relating to the phone NOT being covered for water damage. There is nothing mentioned at all except for the fact that the phone IS waterproof.

But even with the water damage there were major issues with the phone some time before the water damage occured as the phone crashed, wiped all my information and reset itself to factory settings twice.

I guess Im just feeling very let down by Samsung, as now I have to pay a bit over $200 to get the water damaged fixed and I cannot be sure that the phone wont crash again once I have the phone returned.and functioning again. Its very frustrating because Im only a few months into a 24 month contract.
Tx
Level 25: The Singularity

I would be contacting Samsung directly and putting in a complaint. Whilst the S8 (or any) phone is not waterproof (they are water resistant), being dropped in water for less than half an hour should net allow water to enter the body of the phone.

For future reference, the big problem with water and Samsung phones is generally if you get the charging port wet and then charge the phone (it should actually warn you that it is wet, and does most of the time). The best way to dry the charging port out is to get a cotton wool ball/bud and hold gently against the opening of the charging port, this will wick the bulk of the remaining water out. Then place in a bag filled with dry rice (or moisture absorbing satchels) for a few hours. This will absorb the remaining moisture.

If you fail to do this, you can end up with the corrosion problem that you describe as stray currents jump across the contacts and the remaining moisture reacts with the metal.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 22: Superhuman

Good morning,
I have worked for 2 actual manufacturers accessing such situations that are elevated to the manufacturer at head office. I have not worked for Samsung, however.
I regret to tell you that you are not covered by warranty.
Definitions of fluid ingress are quite definite.
Some manufacturers offer "programs" for such instances.
Sorry, but in my opinion, based on my experience, you are not covered, despite your earlier issues.

PS...According to my memory,presently  owning 3 Samsungs, they are somewhat resistant, but definitely not waterproof.   The resistance is  under certain specific  definitions spelled out by the manufacturer.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Teresa16

Hi Jupiter.
Thanx for the reply.

Yes, once the phone got wet I dried it immediately and placed it into a ziplock bag with dry rice and it was left for well over 24 hours. When I switched the phone back on it worked fine until it needed to be charged. When I plugged the charger cord in the phone showed the message "Moisture in charger port. Disconnect until dry". So I put the phone back in rice for another few days but the message always came up when I tried to charge it. After a few weeks of this I had to buy a wireless charger. But after $70 and a week of being able to use the phone it stopped charging using the wireless charger. At this point I went into the Telstra shop and then took the phone into Samsung.
When I told the staff member at Samsung about the water and the charger point they told me that if I had put the phone in rice to absorb the moisture the problem would not have occured, but when I told them that I had done that a couple of times, they told me that its because it isnt meant to be in contact with water so there is nothing they can do except repair it at my own costs.

Yes I have been in contact with Samsung for quite a while now. I went into my local Samsung store. After the phone was returned the first time and I was advised it would not be covered by the warranty I did lodge a complaint and asked for it to be reassesed and the decision reviewed, I based this on the fact that the phone is marketed as water resistant, therefore it shouldnt have been so badly affected by a 5 to 10 second drop into water. And also that there seems to be no information about the water resistance and what is covered and not covered in the warranty information. I cannot find anything stating that the phone cannot be put into water, but plenty of information about the phone being water resistant (up to 30 metres if I recall).
From all the information I have found there is no justifiable cause for the warranty claim to be denied, in my opinion the information points to the phone being completely covered by the warranty.
When the claim was rejected the second time I did advise the Samsung staff member that I would be lodging a complaint with the Department Of Fair Trading and also the Telecommunication Ombudsman.

Its just very frustrating because everything that the Samsung staff are telling me is contradictory to the warranty information which they are basing their decision on.
Tx
Teresa16

Hi Professor Phone

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have resigned myself to the fact that the phone wont be covered by the warranty.
The staff member at Samsung also spoke about the warranty definitions and specifics as well, and she advised me to look it up in my warranty card and also on the Samsung Website.
I have gone over the warranty information that was supplied with the phone and also scoured the internet for information about the S8, the warranties and the definitions on a number of different websites and I cannot seem to find any of the information that they keep referring me to, and when I asked for specific information in the store they just refer me back to the Samsung website.

I am just finding it very frustrating that I cannot find any of the information they are basing their decisions on.

Tx
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Teresa16

Samsung has quite a bit of information available that I can locate.

This link explains how the IP (Ingress Protection) Rating works and what it will defend against.

I should note here that on that link it states not to expose your phone to "Water moving with force". Though not explicitly specified, this could include dropping into water from height. Especially since it would be reasonable to assume that "force" would be more than "Running water" which is specified.

This link specifically states the terms when water ingress occurs.
Section VI. Warranty Exclusions

C-1. Unless stated otherwise, this Warranty does not extend to loss caused by normal wear and tear, fire, water (liquid spillage or ingression), theft, vermin or insect infestation.

As much as I'd hate to say it, It would appear that your warranty has been voided due to water ingress in this instance.
Even if you did have a pre-existing fault, water ingress would overrule that.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 20: Director

Ip68 allows for gentle accidental immersion in fresh water dropping from any height can create enough pressure to force water past the seal.
Ip68 is water resistant NOT waterproof these are the immersion limits "they’re water
resistant in fresh water to a maximum depth of 1.5m for up to 30 minutes"
If the drop was with the charge port facing down the odds of forced water ingress increase.
In reality the ip68 rating protects in situations like being pushed into a pool with the phone in your pocket mot dropping from any height.
If you need better potection there are cases that will improve the water resistance
I am not a Telstra employee, so all opinions are my own, I have been around Telstra products a long time and have a reasonably strong general tech knowledge. .

As far as cases go, I can recommend the Otterbox Defender series. I bought one for my daughter and it is working very well. Has port covers for the USB and Headphone ports and the wireless charging works with it.

Buy it direct from Otterbox and get it shipped to Australia from the USA as it is actually quicker and cheaper than buying it locally.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Teresa16
Accepted Solution

Hi Delta Squad.

Thankyou so much for that IP information. Not understanding all the technical jargon, I did have a bit of trouble understanding the IP thingy, but the info in that link helps a lot to understand it all a bit better.

Yes Ive resigned myself to the fact that the warranty wont cover the damage.
I think that both Samsung themselves as well as any companies or stores selling these and other similar smart phones need to give much more specific information about what they class as "Water Resistant" , more specific information on the terms of "IP" and exactly what the warranty will and will not cover. There have been a number of advertisements for these phones (some S8's specifically) which are very misleading and go directly against the warranty terms and the IP specs. One ad in particular shows a S8 (not in a case) being used to photograph fish and corals whilst snorkelling.
From the information I have been given from Samsung staff and from various websites, whilst fresh water is not a problem it is not recommended for salt water at all, and if so it should be only in a very specific case and always rinse in fresh water really well.
Tx

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now