CrowdSupport®
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

How to extend the ring time of my mobile

Answered

By default, your phone rings for 15 seconds before diverting a call to MessageBank® – you can change this using increments of five seconds (up to 30 seconds).

To extend the ring time, enter the following sequence on your mobile phone:

**61*101**(number of seconds: 152025 or 30)#

Then press the call/send button.

Restoring or removing original settings

To restore all three conditional call forwarding settings (Busy, No Answer, No Reply) to MessageBank®, enter **004*101#.

To remove all three conditional call forwarding settings (Busy, No Answer, No Reply) to MessageBank®, enter ##004#.

Both of these actions will set the default ring time of 15 seconds.

We've also turned this into a knowledge based article which can be found here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ㅤㅤ
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Re: How to extend the ring time of my mobile

works well im glad i found these posts Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
67 REPLIES 67
Level 21: Augmented

this post by Drat http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/4G-Mobiles/Frontier-4G-Extend-ring-before-message-bank/m-p/109... shows how to extend the ringtime on the message2txt service, something Telstra say isn't even possible, works well and an awesome find from Drat to work this out and share (not everyone likes Messagebank)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Fozbear16
Level 1: Cadet

Changing number of rings before diverting to voicemail?

My iPhone 4 diverts to voicemail after 3 short rings. How do l change that so it rings longer before diverting?
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Changing number of rings before diverting to voicemail?

*sigh*

1. Browse to Telstra.com (or just scroll up to the top of this page).
  2. Click on Help & Support ▼ on the navigation bar at the top.
  3. Look under the heading of Mobile Phones.
  4. Click on the second item:  Extend ring time before calls divert to MessageBank®
  5. Follow the instructions.
——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
T-man
Level 9: Captain

or Drat could have wrote

type this into your phone

**61*101**30#

press call

this will extend the ringtime from the default of 15 seconds to 30 seconds

NB.
I am a Telstra employee. All comments are my own and based on my own knowledge. Any advice given is generic in nature and should be taken as a guideline only.

Blakel
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

just an FYI also, the maximum is 30 secconds for mobile phones Smiley Happy

The views and opinions in this post are purely of my own and not of Telstra.
chriswinter99

How do I set delay to zero? cheers Chris

Level 22: Superhuman

chriswinter99 wrote:

How do I set delay to zero?

You cannot do so, because it makes no logical sense.

If you do not want your handset to ring at all, but have calls forwarded directly to MessageBank, then use unconditional call forwarding instead of call forwarding on no answer.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
ㅤㅤ
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

works well im glad i found these posts Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi All,

We've added the full instructions for you as a knowledge based article.

Which can be bookmarked for future reference.

CrowdSurfer...

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Crystal14

My phone keep reverting back to default, it does not work at all!! I rang myself to check , it worked the first couple of times and then it went back to default again! It's so frustrating, I can't remember how many I tried to do it, it keeps doing the same thing.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Crystal,

That's a bit odd, it seems Ok on my end

I'd recommend contacting us on 132200 (for residential) or 132999 (for business) so we can investigate what's occurring

Apologies for any inconvenience in the meantime

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

neridup

Thanks for the information. It worked a treat on our three phones! So easy.

uzzttwo
Level 2: Rookie

Yep Ive missed heaps of calls too and almost broken my neck a couple of tmes running down the stairs to answer it! Three rings is ridiculous...HOWEVER the tip by Drat that you have pointed me to ACTUALLY WORKS for my iPhone 4s :-) Comes up with an error message after entering the numbers but tested it and works perfectly so now i have six rings...Thanks heaps... for anyone else here is the sequence of numbers for longer rings before going message2text **61*(enter your own mobile number here)**30#
abaxter68

Hey I extended my call time but now instead of getting missed call Msgs it tells the people who are calling that their call has been forwarded to an invalid number. Is this fixable or does the missed call Msgs only work for the 15seconds ring?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi abaxter68,

Sounds like you have messagebank removed but still have diversions set to messagebank.

What happens if you call messagebank?

What is the exact message callers hear when they try to call you?

- Steve J

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Serena12

I too have this pesky problem and I will give your solution a try.    Why couldn't Telstra help desk give me this info?  Thanks

Serena12

Thanks, I will try it immediately. Have had this pesky problem for years and the Telstra Help Desk said nothing could be done.
abaxter68

Hi Steve,
If I call my message bank it says the number is not available from this service.
But I don't use msg bank I get the 10 sec msg to txt.
When people call me it says call forwarding to an invalid number
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I see, that's strange I would suggest checking in with our team on 132200 & say Mobile Faults to troubleshoot further  

The message they should recieve when calling your number if not answered is "Hi, the person you are calling is not available. Please leave a short 10 second message after the tone and we will send the message as a text." If you have a Message2Text service rather than Message bank

Let us know how you go Smiley Happy

Bubble123

My phone also is now saying diverted to invalid number.... after I extended the ring time. I have message to text 10 sec....and now it doesnt work..

henlan

I think the most important issue here is that Telstra deliberately supply phones with a short ring time in order to increase revenue through the message bank service.

It is a disgraceful way to treat customers, and is the type of behaviour that we wouldn't accept from a small business, but we have to accept from corporations like Telstra. Imagine if your corner store forced you to pay for extras that you didn't want or need - you wouldn't stand for it and they would quickly go out of business.

Shame on you Telstra for employing these tactics.

I'll be amazed and impressed if this post makes it into the forum!

akarua

seems to work on my samsung but not on our ipad 4

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Akarua,

These instructions only work to extend the ring time for devices receiving calls over the Mobile Network. Since the iPad 4 cannot make or receive calls over the mobile network these instructions wont work for it.

kevbackchat

Totally agree. The moderators are too ashamed to even try and justify this little piece of under-handed ness. Just so typical of large businesses, especially telco's and banks!
D_L

Great, applied codes the ring time now extended and no issues with messgae bank. Very happy with this, thanks to all

rlb1

will not work for me all I get is a message that says the code ore number I dialed is invalid.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Rib, 

If you are still unable to get this applied, please contact us on 132200 and say "Mobile assurance"

We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards - Tom

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Notpul

Many thanks, it works well.

clancybelle

Why only 30 seconds?? I need longer.
Pinkpig

I followed the instructions to extend my ring time and now my unanswered call dont go to voicemail.  When I call 101 it states this service is not provided and contact my service provider.  Please help

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Pinkpig - for privacy reasons we can't request account details or make changes to services via posts on these forums, but our teams on 13 22 00 or through the online chat service at http://tel.st/49kl can look into the account to ensure the Messagebank service is set up. 

maxidean72

that was just to easy .... thx

stool_pigeon

tried this 4 times now and I get:

"There was a problem with this code"

new Nokia Lumia 930 running WP8.1

I have MessagetoText not Voicemail/Messagebank. Does that make a difference?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi stool_pigeon,

I'd suggest chatting with our live chat team via the link Greg posted a few posts above this one to have our team look at your account and ensure you're doing this correctly. 

-Matt W

stool_pigeon

had to get an operator to do it.

they don't know why....

"Because we're still trying to report so technicians can incvestigate why sometimes those codes are not working from your end "

morganv

I'm trying to extend the ring time on my iphone 6 but the instructions listed above don't work & come up with error messages on the screen instead. Can anyone suggest anything else I can do myself or do I need to ring Telstra?

Cheers

Morgan

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Morgan,

I'd suggest calling in if you're not having any luck with the steps above. (13 22 00)

-Matt W

martyandapril2

How easy was that!

I've put up with short ring time for 4 years, finally decided to do something about it & all it took was 1min including the google search to come up with the answer!

Worked on my old iPhone 4 & no issues with msg bank...!

Thanks

Spoiler
100 out of every 7 people are numerical dyslexic!
Prancer

I tried the **61*101**30# on my i3 to extend the rinnging time. But now when i call my phone and miss the call I have a message "Diversion set to invalid no" and I am not receiving Message 2Text anymore?

I have been in the queue for tech support  for 44 minutes. Currently 12 in Queue.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Prancer,

How did you go with Tech Support? They should have been able to assist with this particular issue.

-Matt W

Rob_R

Can anyome tell me the code for extending the ring on a pre-paid with voice2text?

I have tried **61*101*secs# and get the "invalid" message as it cant divert to message bank

Thanks

Rob

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Rob_R if the code is not working for you contact Mobile Assurance on 13 22 00 24x7 and we can adjust that for you 

Rob_R

Hi Cas_Telstra

I found this information on a different forum. The following has worked for me which I hope helps other prepaid users

**61*101**(enter the secs you want)#  push call button and wait for the system message. Then  #61# and push call button again.

Rob

Support Team
Support Team

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that Rob Smiley Happy I'm sure it will help many other pre-paid users out too

kiwigirl79

Thanks for this - worked perfectly!

Glockers

Hi

Tried the instructions below but get number not connected.

We do have the facility where we get the voicemail on our phone rather than dialling 101. Maybe that needs a different procedure?

Thanks

Mark

Support Team
Support Team

Did you dial **61*101**(number of seconds: 15, 20, 25 or 30)# exactly?

I've just tried this and it seems to be working. 

rustyofoz

T-Man's posting above is more helpful than the so called support article.  Worked for me and I tested it, definitely now rings for 30 seconds.  Thanks T-Man !

wellithinkso

I have a Samsung Galaxy 6 that doesn't use the messagebank service but sends me a text of voice messages left by callers. This means I don't need to include the 101 code (messagebank phone number) when I extend the ring time. 

I entered **61*(number of seconds: 15, 20, 25 or 30)# and it has worked for me. So for 30 seconds, go to your phone keypad, enter **61*30# and then press the call button. 

Hope this works for you too. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit