CrowdSupport®
Jonesy6
Level 1: Cadet

Need new sim

Answered

Got a new phone, problem is It takes nano sim, my old phone is a micro sim. I want the same phone number and all my contacts for new phone. What do I do??  Old phone J1Mini , new phone A5 samsung. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Need new sim

Hello
As you need to go to a Telstra store for your sim ..... Smart Switch may not be necessary as Smiley said the store will do it. Should they want to charge for the contacts transfer....you can do it yourself free!
You can download the Samsung app "Smart Switch" which will transfer your selected data items eg contacts. You install it in both phones and make the new phone the receiving phone and the old phone the sending phone. .
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 22: Superhuman

Hi Jonesy6,

You can go into any Telstra store and they'll swap your micro sim to a nano sim free of charge. You'll keep your same number and nothing will change on your Account.
They should also be able to transfer your Contacts for you. Take your old phone with the micro sim still in it as well just incase they need to get the Contacts out of that phone before transferring.
I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Your contacts are not stored on the SIM but on the phones flash drive and also in the cloud. You should be able use Samsung's transfer tool to transfer contacts and other data of the old phone to the new phone. Android also has a built in tool for transferring data from old phone to new phone.

Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Hello
As you need to go to a Telstra store for your sim ..... Smart Switch may not be necessary as Smiley said the store will do it. Should they want to charge for the contacts transfer....you can do it yourself free!
You can download the Samsung app "Smart Switch" which will transfer your selected data items eg contacts. You install it in both phones and make the new phone the receiving phone and the old phone the sending phone. .
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

View solution in original post

@cf4, with Samsung mobile phones (I'm not sure about other brands) you have a choice where you can save your Contacts...Phone, Sim card, Google or Samsung. My S6 and S8 have these options, my s2 has Sim, Google or Phone. You should also have these options on your S9+.

You'll see these options when creating a new Contact. Click on Contacts icon...click on the plus symbol...above where you type the name there's a box with a dropdown arrow for you to choose where you want your contact saved to. 

@Jonesy6, I suggested that you take both the old mobile and sim with you to the Telstra store as I don't know where your Contacts are currently saved. 

As @ProfessorPhone has suggested,  if the Telstra employee is going to charge you to transfer the Contacts then using the Smart Switch App would be your next best option. 

The link below shows that they can be either saved in the phone or on the sim for a J1 ( I couldn't find it for J1 mini when I Googled)

http://devicesmanual.safaricom.co.ke/web/samsung-galaxy-j1/calls-and-contacts/contacts/copy-contacts...

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit