CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

New Samsung S10 - charges by Telstra for Enhanced SMS messages

Answered

Since I've received my new phone, I'm being charged for SMS enhanced messaging. I don't make calls to any 1900 numbers or receive any read receipts, and I'm unable to find where to switch this off.

Have Googled to try to find how I turn this off, but nothing seems very useful. There is no setting in my messaging settings area to even look at eg "enhanced messages".

Has anyone got any ideas on what I can do from this reoccurring? I don't want to keep paying $30 extra a month for whatever these fees are coming from! Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: New Samsung S10 - charges by Telstra for Enhanced SMS messages

@Sandolita 

How do I turn it off?

To turn off mobile enhanced SMS, you’ll need to contact Telstra on 13 22 00 and say ‘Mobile Enquiry'

More info: https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/mobiles-tablets/post-paid/what-is-mobile-enhanced-sms 

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

@Sandolita 

How do I turn it off?

To turn off mobile enhanced SMS, you’ll need to contact Telstra on 13 22 00 and say ‘Mobile Enquiry'

More info: https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/mobiles-tablets/post-paid/what-is-mobile-enhanced-sms 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

thank you, i did this yesterday after i just couldnt get anywhere - and reading this info on facebook Smiley Happy

I'm hoping that worked.

Unfortunately 2 Telstra shop staff over the last two months have been telling me that these fee's were covered by my plan.   Which was incorrect.

Highlighted

@Sandolita wrote:

thank you, i did this yesterday after i just couldnt get anywhere - and reading this info on facebook Smiley Happy

I'm hoping that worked.

Unfortunately 2 Telstra shop staff over the last two months have been telling me that these fee's were covered by my plan.   Which was incorrect.

@Sandolita See how you go with the next bill. If the fee still exists then I suggest you call the Disconnection Team on 13 22 00 in Adelaide (8am to 9.30pm Monday to Saturday and 8am to 8pm on Sunday). Say 'disconnect' when prompted.

Then you go can over with them your issue and if they can offer a better plan etc. Plus, also arrange a refund since you called previously to cancel the fees.

Highlighted

Thank you Ozmoz, I really appreciate your insight.  I'll keep this in mind.  Many thanks!

Highlighted

Hey there

Well, they gave me a $10 credit, and told me they turned SMS enhanced messages to off.  But unfortunately as of yesterday they are back!  I'm at a loss as to why.  Wondering if something I'm doing is creating the problem, racking my brain on installation of apps etc.  I'll be contacting Telstra once again to switch / block this thing again...

Really disappointed at this fiasco - they literally have wasted so much of my time  What the hell ARE they doing?  I work in the IT industry, and if we operated this way, we'd be out of a job. 

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

T.Gaffney
Highlighted

Just an update with this, if anyone is watching / looking for solutions.

I had another Telstra employee tell me they have disabled the SMS enhanced message feature.  It seems to be good now.

I am just wondering though, that my installing messaging apps keeps turning it back on with that apps settings.... who knows, I guess we'll never find out.  I'm keeping a close eye on my bill after I do add a new app to do with messages, to make sure I'm not doing this to myself.

Thanks all for the help !

Level 1: Cadet

Telstra charges for SMS delivery reports. I saw that you mentioned read receipt but did not mention the delivery report. 

Highlighted

Probably just written the wrong thing, for whatever they were, I did not want, choose, or receive anything to quantify that I should be paying for that option.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit