CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
TheRealestG
Level 1: Cadet

No VoLTE on S7?

Answered

Hi All

Hoping someone can help me out.

Had my S7 for a few days now, awesome phone.

I can't get VoLTE to work on it.

My SIM card connects to VoLTE in a friends Handset, but not in my S7.
My friends SIM card connects to VoLTE on his handset, but not in my S7.

Both SIM cards are Telstra Post-paid.

My Galaxy S7 was pre-ordered direct from Samsung, and given there are no options to enable it (like in some android phones), I'm assuming it's built in by default.

Any ideas why it won't work? Are the Galaxy S7's VoLTE capable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: No VoLTE on S7?

Normally as Telstra are activating each specific device they are posting an post on here to say it has been done, but I haven't see one to say the S7 has been added to the compatible list yet.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Accepted Solution

Normally as Telstra are activating each specific device they are posting an post on here to say it has been done, but I haven't see one to say the S7 has been added to the compatible list yet.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Mistakal

Hi I went to check the time on my phone last night which is a samsung s7 edge and saw the vo>>> lte symbol appear no joke hadn't done anything extra , do you think Telstra just enabled it is this possible ? 

It is quite possible. Given it is a new phone they would have needed to test the VoLTE for stability to make sure it is working right before enabling it but once that was done there would be no reason to delay it...
Helpful Links

Mistakal

Thank you for taking the time to reply , that's understandable.

Thanks for your knowledge and time.
heartIikeasky
Level 6: Bloodhound

Hi TheRealestG,

Step 1. Check your ACP settings by pressing:

Settings -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names

You should see four options available:

- Telstra Boadband

- Telstra Internet

- hos

- ime

(Telstra mms - shaded out)

Step 2. If "ime" is showing then you should be able to access VoLTE byt bullet pointing Telstra Internet (telstra.wap)

If you are missing "ime" then that will be the reason that you can't access VoLTE.

Step 3. To fix this, hard boot your phone (holding the power & volume down buttons for 7 seconds).

Check the above settings and see if "ime" appears. If it does, go back to step 2.

Hopefully this works.

Pennz
Level 3: Gumshoe

Can your voice be heard on calls OK? I had to turn back to 3G to stop VoLTE as my voice keeps dropping out. Terrible quality calls..
Cam71

OMG - I agree with you 100%.  Voice quality is terrible.  Drop outs, poor volume, just generally poor quality.  Unfortunately the only way to control this is to turn off 4G (no big loss!).

The S7 has a LOT of issues.  The edge is super sensitive, so many accidental app launches!  Wireless is a growing issue and many people globally (including me) are finding wifi almost useless.  There are some tips to temporarily fix it (ie turn off Bluetooth) but nothing that I can see is a permanent fix.

Given Samusung's crap reputation for software updates and Telstra's further testing that adds delays I am wondering if I return the phone as being not fit for purpose?

heartIikeasky
Level 6: Bloodhound

Sorry to hear all the problems people are experiencing.

I've had my S7 Edge for 2 weeks now and whilst I had some camera glitches and error msgs after the initial set up (and downloading of a number of apps that required camera access), a hard reboot of the handset (holding 'power' and 'vol down' buttons together for 7 -10 seconds) fixed it and no problems with operating the phone since.

No issues with VoLTE reception (Melbourne CBD and surrounds).

No problems with slow wi-fi or wi-fi blockages at home - I'm on the latest superfast cable modem.

Immediate connection to Telstra Air wi-fi when in range of hotspots.

S7 Edge sensitivity can be counteracted with a screen protector - make sure it's one of the new 3D glass curved ones, which are relatively thin, so that the edges don't curl up over time.

Whilst I am sure there are some lemon handsets in ever batch - Samsung (at their flagship stores) will replace a handset on the spot (if within 2 weeks of purchase) if found defective.

NB: Samsung did release a software patch (about 30Mb in size) a week before the phone was released in Australia. Not sure if this patch was already included with the set up of the new handset , or if its still a pending download for Australia.

IanA57

Exact same issue with my S7 Edge. Constantly having calls lost with people saying that they could not hear me. Not location related either as it happens in many places. With 4G enabled i had very few reception bars anywhere. So I swapped to 3G and had plenty of reception bars and no further issues.
I am not sure that Telstra is really supporting 4G well enough. Whats the point of 4G if its not useable. Telstra???
Support Team
Support Team

Hi IanA57, 

If 4G is not strong enough for a Voice call (with VoLTE compatible handsets), then the handset should switch seamlessly between the 3G and 4G network. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Phil35

Very poor performance on my S7 Edge with VoLTE active.

Barely more than 800m from the exchange & have constant drop-outs.

No seamless switching back to 3G.

I only have 3 options in by back yard....

1. Put the phone on a ladder & keep in Bluetooth range of it. Very annoying way to conduct business calls.

2. Turn 4G off when I make calls; painful & doesn't help with incoming calls.

3. Have it disabled at account level, & lose the 4G features & need to call up again to have them reinstated.

3 towers within a 2km radius & almost all visible from the ground, just seems I'm jumped onto the 1800MHz signal at the exchange that is poor at my location.

This problem didn't exist 6 months ago, but makes the service almost unusable now, and if anything it's gotten much worse over the past few months since Optus installed a tower 300m down the road.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit