CrowdSupport®
Doug05
Level 2: Rookie

Note 10+ and RCS

I've upgraded from a Note 9 to Note 10+ 4G (both bought direct from Samsung) but RCS is not working on the Note 10 - it was working fine on the Note 9. 

I've spoken to Telstra and they either don't know what RCS is or blame Samsung or say RCS is not compatible with the Note 10. Samsung say it is compatible and blame Telstra. Firmware and all apps are up to date, restarts have been done etc etc. 

Needless to say this is becoming very frustrating. Has anyone else with a Note 10+ 4G been able to get RCS working without being given the run around?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Note 10+ and RCS

Yes, there is an issue with RCS with the 4G version of the Note10. There is no workaround currently to get it working. 

Strangely enough, the 5G version works fine. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
petros5460

I have spoken with telstra mobile faults support which were very unhelpful for at least two hours of my wasted time.

Samsung support was very helpful. They indicated that Telstra has removed RCS from the latest samsung update for the Note 10 devices, except for the Note 10 plus 5g. I am not sure if this related to difficulties with bugs or pushing people towards the 5g option.

It was not clear if telstra was planning to reintroduce RCS to the note 10 and note 10 plus but hopefully they will, perhaps after their special on note 10 plus with 5g has finished in late September?

On another forum hsuser has indicated he had managed to get his RCS service working by getting the SIM card re-registered. I couldn't figure this initially but samsung confirmed that RCS will only work on a phone that has been sold by telstra - presumably imei registered to telstra. Thus I presume hduser's first SIM registration must have been in a non telstra registered phone.

Of course Telstra mobile faults had no idea when I tried to discuss with them.

I think the way telstra monitors whether the phone being used is a telstra variant is by checking whether the phone is telstra registered when you put in a new SIM.

I had originally brought across an old SIM that was not registered on a telstra phone, and could not get RCS on my note 9 or note 10 plus 4g. When I registered a new SIM on the phone I had purchased from telstra RCS was working on my note 9 and in Samsung messaging under settings there is an RCS communications toggle.  This toggle is not present on my note 10 plus 4g samsung messaging app but thankfully RCS was again working to the extent that I could get my messagebank audio on samsung messaging working. I am not sure of the other functions of RCS - this is the main one of which I am aware and use a lot.

Hope this information is helpful.

Highlighted
petros4060
Level 1: Cadet

Another update. Audio only worked for a short period on note 10+ 4g and then stopped. I think it must have been turned on by my note 9 and then reset after some time on my note 10+ 4g

arsenalove82
Level 1: Cadet

I am in the same boat, Samsung is saying it is Telstra's issue and Telstra is saying Samsung has to push the firmware, even after 22nd Sept 19 firmware update. No sign of RCS and you are spot on Telstra Tech's mostly got no idea what RCS is.Hope, they will fix by the time note 11 comes out. 

Syedmshah

If you have not purchased  your phone directly from telstra then flash your firmware with Telstra's firmware and RCS should work.

Here is the link 

https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-note-10-plus/firmware/SM-N975F/TEL/download/N975FXXU1ASHE/2...

@Doug05 wrote:

I've upgraded from a Note 9 to Note 10+ 4G (both bought direct from Samsung) but RCS is not working on the Note 10 - it was working fine on the Note 9. 

I've spoken to Telstra and they either don't know what RCS is or blame Samsung or say RCS is not compatible with the Note 10. Samsung say it is compatible and blame Telstra. Firmware and all apps are up to date, restarts have been done etc etc. 

Needless to say this is becoming very frustrating. Has anyone else with a Note 10+ 4G been able to get RCS working without being given the run around?

petros5460

I've tried this but didn't work. Even tried resetting phone to default after changing to telstra firmware.

Suggest don't waste your time until a new firmware comes along.

I'll post if I find a firmware that works.

I'm a telstra business customer coming from note 9 and this is really unimpressive.

Maybe when beta for one ui 2.0 comes out ??

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now