CrowdSupport®
hsuser
Level 2: Rookie

RCS and Note 10

After some research, it would seem that Telstra does not have firmware to support RCS on Note 10.  I have approached Telstra tech support who didn't know what RCS is and failed to call back after I asked that my query be escalated and then Samsung who advised that Telstra have known issue with RCS and Note10.

Can someone advise me on where this is going please?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
111 REPLIES 111
Bazz77
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra RCS not working on Note 10 5g

Just got the new note 10 5g and my Telstra rcs audio files from vocie mail is not working. any suggestions?

Support Team
Support Team

Re: Telstra RCS not working on Note 10 5g

Hi Bazz.

Sorry if this is causing some frustration.

Please double check that the most up to date firmware is available on your device, there has been an issue effecting Samsung devices and RCS.

If there are no updates available, you would be able to get around this by reverting to legacy SMS/MMS messaging by following the below steps on the impacted handset:

1. Open the Messages App
  2. Access the Menu by selecting the ‘three dots’ on the top right of the screen
  3. Navigate to Settings > Chat Settings > Rich Communications Settings
  4. Switch off RCS

Please let me know how you get on.

-Kieran

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Bazz77

Hi Kieran. Thanks for the reply.

It must be this particular phone as the Chat Settings doesnt even come up in the menu.

The note 9 was fine however this must need some sort of update from Samsung. 

I guess I'll wait.

Thank you.

Support Team
Support Team

Thank you Bazz77 and any updates or changes to the handset software made by the manufacturer will be posted directly. Details of how to check on these can be found by clicking on https://tel.st/tu46r

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Ebonymom
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Hi Bazz77

May I ask whther you preordered your note 10+ or picked it up from shop?

Thanks!

user who wants to help myself and others
Bazz77

Hi there. I Pre Ordered it from Samsung.

Cheers Baz77

Ebonymom

Thank you so much for letting me know! It makes big difference between the service provided by Samsung Australia and Telstra .... this is my first time mobile contract with Telstra and not that impressed yet....

Bazz77

Hang in there as they are usually very good. Certainly better than the others.

Ebonymom

Thanks! I shall do! Thank you for your reply! 

hsuser

I have a new Note10 4G and have experienced similar problems.

I have spoken to Samsung support and they say an updated version of firmware for the phone is req

Bazz77

Thanks Hauser.

Do they know when the firmware updat will take place?

Cheers Baz77

Level 25: The Singularity

Re: RCS and Note 10

It should be working. It is working fine on my phone.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
hsuser

Hi Jupiter,

It works on my note 8 but not on my note 10.

Does any one else have a note 10 with RCS working?

Note 10+5G RCS is working ok (Chat & Voicemail).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
mickbannon83
Level 1: Cadet

I have a Note 10+ 5G.

RCS is kinda working for me.

I get the chats in messages just fine, but my voicemails do not come through as Audio files. 

I have sent a status message to 144 which says it is enabled, but no matter what I do I can't get the Audio files to send through for voicemails.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

In the messaging app settings do you have auto download of attachments enabled.

Noel71

I'm having the same problem on my Note10+ 5g

RCS is working on my Note9

Highlighted
Noel71

My Note10+ 5g is the same ☹

arsenalove

My Manager got the Note 10 Plus 5G from Telstra and on his device RCS services are working. Whereas I purchased from JB HiFi outright Note 10 Plus 4G and no RCS. Wasted time with Telstra tech for two hours to make them understand the problem then got told to contact Samsung.Guess what Samsung said RCS is entirely Service providers responsibility nothing to do with us. looks like long couple of months  wait for software update (speedy Telstra and Sammy)

Doug05

RCS is not working on my Note 10+ 4G. After an online chat, the rep didn't know what RCS was, but then informed me that they enabled it - which didn't happen. Firmware and apps are up to date

Opps4

I have the same problem and telstra can't activate it all they say turn your phone off for 4 min turn back on and still doesn't work

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @hsuser,

Thanks for reaching out. 

RCS ((Rich Communication Service) should be supported on the Note 10. There may be a registration fault, incorrect configuration or VOLTE is barred on your service. Our Mobile Faults team will be best to look into this further and will be able to raise a fault if necessary. It may be a case of the latter by the sounds of it. 

Let me know how you go. 

- Tim 

hsuser

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your help.

You were absolutely correct.

I called mobile faults and worked through the issue with them.

The RCS is now working.

Thank you again.

HSUser

hsuser

I should have included the procedure that I followed.
I took my sim out while the phone was connected in a bid to force the sim to re-register.

I spoke to mobile support and asked them to force the sim to re-register

Previously,  rebooting of the phone did not seem to help the issue..

Support Team
Support Team

Hi hsuser, thank you for getting back to us with the information. If there is anything further we can help with please pop back here 24x7. - Jo

Syedmshah

Good for you mate that some how you managed to get your RCS going. For me its still noy working, support doest not know RCS. I have explained to them( Honey is tech person name),  can onlsupport yousaidy recieve voicemails on iphone in samsung you have to dail 101, there is no other way she is aware of. Smiley Happy 

On 3rd try tech person asked me remove sim, restart, tried all that still no good.

Not sure how is it working on your Note 10+ 

WBC2

I've got a Note 10+ 4g also and have had no luck after HOURS on the phone with telstra techs.

Most of them have no idea what RCS actually is let alone how to resolve the issue.

Can somebody from Telstra that actually knows what they are doing weigh in with some answers and a proper resolution to this issue? There are so many posts about people having the same problem and it's appalling that nobody at Telstra knows what to do about it!

petros5460

agree with the above

someone at telstra must know the problem

there is clearly no switches for rcs in messages or mobile data options on the note 10+ 4g whilst it is clearly there on the note 9. This is consistent with samsung's advice telstra requested they deactivate rcs on the note 10 and note 10 plus.

It is annoying telstra is not advising us of the reason rcs has been removed and if and when it will be reactivated.

perhaps it is just a matter of inadequate resources to work on the note 10 5g and note 10 + 4g at the same time.

not having rcs is inconvenient - particularly if your business has a large number of voicemails

Should I go back to my note 9 or persist with the note 10 plus 4g)??

Teddam

Just recieved the september Note 10+ 4g update (not telstra branded)and this added in the APN settings required for RCS, but still doesnt work. previously couldnt add these extra APN settings in. 
The HOS and IMS is required for RCS, in addition to the normal internet APN.

I dont believe samsung have asked for RCS to be disabled, but believe its more a telstra issue or fault.
Unsure what else to try

Teddam

Have tried registering sim again but still hasnt worked.

Bit of a shame when all the other samsungs work

petros5460

To clarify, advice from samsung was that telstra had asked them to deactivate rcs in the note 10 and 10  plus 4g firmware. I understood it was a telstra issue not a samsung one. I also have the new update and no rcs, including no rcs options in settings.

Brucey54

I am having the same issue. 10 note ordered online. Is there an update on this?

@Brucey54 Which version of the Note did you buy and was it direct from Telstra?

Brucey54

It is a note 10. But was not direct through telstra

If it wasn't bought direct from Telstra, then the firmware may not have the RCS settings for Telstra built in to it. You could go to a Samsung Kiosk and see if they will flash the Telstra firmware onto it for you.

arsenalove82

Looked up on Sammobile , the firmware released by Telstra and Samsung are exactly the same. Nothing has been modified as far as I can see in the files but I also might go and have a chat with Telstra Kiosk if they can do something. Ta

Bazz77

I just visited the telstra George St Sydney Store. The reponse was we know it is a problem but not sure what is being done about it or when it will be fixed. Looks like this will not be fixed anytime soon and to be fair unacceptable considering the money spent on being a Telstra user. Hopefully a christmas present!

Support Team
Support Team

Hi everyone, 

It's been advised that the RCS issue that some Samsung Galaxy devices were experiencing has now been resolved. If you continue to have troubles after basic troubleshooting our Mobile Faults team can assist any time on 132200 (say mobile fault) or via Live Chat here:  https://tel.st/lp7g7 from 7am-midnight EST. 

Hi Ivan S

You say that the issue has been resolved. What exactly have the telstra team resolved?

i spoke to your live chat team which then forwarded me to your faults team. Your faults team then forwarded me to Samsung. Samsung then told me its an issue with telstra. I've been reading other threads about this issue and supposedly telstra told samsung to not include RCS on note 10,10+ devices and only for note 10 5g supported 

....uh who is going to fix this exactly? how do we fix this? im sure many people in this thread wants to know urgently

Thanks

Tony

Kirbob

So i was having this problem as well :

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Network-Roaming/Voicemail-to-MMS/m-p/839823#M11845

Somehow i am now receiving voicemails as MMS on my samsung brought note 10, not sure what has changed but happy that it works.

Im not sure about the other RCS options but voicemail is all i wanted.

Kirbob

Figure ill chime in again, its currently not working again. I havent changed anything so it must be on telstras side

Jaido92

I have note 10+ 5g and no rcs.. I contacted both samsung and Telstra. Samsung told me to contact Telstra. After about an hour Telstra told me that it hasn't been tested on my device because I bought it from Samsung and not them directly... Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Doug05

The run around we are getting from Telstra is becoming nothing more than a joke. Why can't we get a straight answer?

It has never mattered before where a device was bought, but it seems now we are being pushed to buy direct from them. But yet, no confirmation either way, just more run arounds and conflicting advice.

Telstra are not doing themselves any favours, just get your story straight and let us know. It's not as if this is a new technology or a new platform. Poor form!

Brucey54

I am following this as I also have the same problem and of getting the run around from Telstra and others in the forum who are weighing in and obviously do not have the same phone. This is an issue, it needs to be fix and i would like to see a permanent solution please.  

Bunglebp

Im having the same issue, Note 10+ from JBHIFI, tried formatting with a Telstra SIM in it and same issue

OK. I think I've tracked down what the issue is.

Samsung now issues the same firmware for all phones in Australia. The CSC value for the phone, however cannot* be changed, which is where the Carrier Settings are located. This situation started with the S9 series of phones, when Samsung changed how they developed the firmware.

* there is a procedure that would allow the CSC to be changed (and I'm not going to post it here as the risk of bricking your device is very high), but the combination firmware file that is required is not available anywhere that I can find. The newest one I can find is for the S10 series.

It is not something that Telstra can fix (as they don't get given the file) and it's not something that Samsung will fix (as they won't hand out the file to anyone, even to their service agents).

Bunglebp

Yeah thought it was CSC issue!! Crazy they wont just send an update out but i had my suspicions thanks for clarifying! Smiley Happy

maeneak

So can someone confirm if this is a Telstra issue or a Samsung issue? If this is Samsung I can return on warranty

It's not an issue that is covered by warranty. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now