CrowdSupport®

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Brucey54
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: RCS and Note 10

Warranty perhaps not, although it is a consumer law issue for Telstra if they are promoting their Telstra Messaging Service for latest Samsung devices which are not compatible or capable of supporting this service. 

Level 25: The Singularity

They are only actually promoting the Telstra Messaging Service for Telstra Branded (ie purchased direct from Telstra) compatible devices, so if you bought an unbranded model or one that is not on the compatible list, then it wouldn't be covered.

From the Telstra Messaging FAQs:

To be eligible for Telstra Messaging, you need to:

Anyone with an active Telstra mobile on a plan or pre-paid mobile service and a compatible device purchased through Telstra can use it.

But given that you are probably not on a 24 month plan if you didn't buy the phone through Telstra, you would be able to leave without penalty if you so wished.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Kirbob
Level 2: Rookie

So is this all note 10s or only Samsung bought ones?

If you bought a Note 10/plus/plus 5G (the latter of which definitely works as I have 2 in the family), then you may have a case to argue with Telstra. If you bought one direct through Samsung, then your argument would fall on deaf ears (you don't have a contractual arrangement with Telstra on the device anyway in this case).

If you bought one through JB Hifi as a Telstra Dealer, then you may have an argument with JB Hifi if they provided you with a non-Telstra Branded device, although with all the changes, I don't know whether they have access to Telstra Stock or whether they are now just acting as a MVNO.

And if you bought one through another carrier, then it doesn't comply with the conditions in the FAQ.

Personally, I believe that Samsung should just have made it so that they can operate fully on any network. It is possible to do and seems to be a good way of annoying customers by not doing so.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
stigmatized
Level 1: Cadet

Okay so with that situation in mind, RCS works for Note 9 and S10's unbranded. What then makes Note 10 different that RCS doesn't work on unbranded ones? Surely Telstra can tweak some settings?

@Jupiter wrote:

OK. I think I've tracked down what the issue is.

Samsung now issues the same firmware for all phones in Australia. The CSC value for the phone, however cannot* be changed, which is where the Carrier Settings are located. This situation started with the S9 series of phones, when Samsung changed how they developed the firmware.

* there is a procedure that would allow the CSC to be changed (and I'm not going to post it here as the risk of bricking your device is very high), but the combination firmware file that is required is not available anywhere that I can find. The newest one I can find is for the S10 series.

It is not something that Telstra can fix (as they don't get given the file) and it's not something that Samsung will fix (as they won't hand out the file to anyone, even to their service agents).

No. It requires a Samsung tweak as they have changed the way the firmware works (ie the CSC value is not being read from the SIM that is inserted into the phone).

stigmatized

I see. Thanks for informing us. Hopefully Telstra can flag this with Samsung then. At the end of the day, Telstra is a provider and they should liaise with the manufacturer to make things work as we are consumers who have no control over these things.

G-unit
Level 4: Private Eye

Samsung note 10+ RCS not working

Hi all, 

Ive upgraded from the note 9 to the note 10+ and rcs messaging isn't working. 

Its a telstra phone. Was working on my 9.

I have called support many times. Always get told they will look into it and call me back. 

Running a business, I really use the audio voicemail heaps. I run 2 sims in the phone and have a high volume of calls. 

I have called both telstra and samsung to no avail. 

Any help  I have read the other threads, but havent been able to find a fix

Re: Samsung note 10+ RCS not working

Did you buy the Note 10+ direct from Telstra?

If not, you are out of luck at this stage.

G-unit

I did buy it from Telstra 

If you go into Settings->About Phone->Software Information, under the Service Provider SW ver., what does it say there?

Bunglebp

Telstra support advised me this morning that RCS messaging for the note10 was removed by them temporarily as per the below - 

"It was removed temporarily and We have limited information about when it will be resumed. But we'll update you through the Australian Communication and Media Authority notification system."

That's interesting, thanks for sharing. I wonder what ACMA notification system they are talking about.

G-unit

SAOMC_SM-N75F_OXM_XSA_PP_0009

RF8M74B8NJL

XSA/XSA,XSA/XSA

Level 22: Superhuman

@Jupiter , if a mobile phone was purchased directly from Telstra should the letter's be TEL where G-Unit's is showing XSA?

Does XSA mean it's an unbranded Australian mobile?

Could this be why so many customer's are having problems with RCS.

My Samsung Note 9, Telstra branded is showing the letters TEL where G-Unit's is showing XSA.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Referring to the below link, under "List of CSC (country specific codes) for Samsung Galaxy Android Global...Australia (Telstra) will show (TEL)....Australia (not branded) will show (XSA).

https://www.androidsage.com/2017/07/12/list-of-samsung-galaxy-country-specific-product-code-csc-and-...

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Brucey54

Following

G-unit

my note 9 shows tel as well.

I have checked sammobile and its all xsa

Yes, a Telstra branded Android would normally show TEL/TEL/TEL (single SIM) or TEL/TEL,TEL/TEL (for dual SIM).

Having XSA (unbranded) would seem to be the cause of the problem. Suspect that it is because Telstra hasn't traditionally had dual SIM phones and hasn't quite worked out how to ensure that they work properly with RCS in their system. 

That would also explain why the Note 10+ 5G works. It is a single SIM model. 

@Jupiter, Thanks for replying Smiley Wink

Well, Telstra have a job ahead of them now to work it out for the customer's.

G-unit

My note 9 was run dual sim and it worked perfect.

But I do understand what your saying.

I wonder if any telstra techs can help here

G-unit

SUCCESS!!! IT WORKS!!

No thanks to Telstra or Samsung.

after reading the info supplied by Jupiter and smiley I did some research. here is the fix.

You must change your CSC from XSA to TEL. once you have done that, everything works perfect..

See instructions bellow.

You will need to download software called SAMKEY from samkey.org and purchase tokens. 

. Enable developer options on your phone: Settings > About phone > Software Information > Tap "build number" 8 times or until you see a pop-up message that says "Developer mode has been enabled".

Turn on usb debugging on your phone: Settings > Developer options > USB debugging > Allow USB Debugging > Tap "OK"

Install and open the Samkey application on your computer > Connect your phone to your computer with a usb cable > Login witch the credentials you received from samkey.
7. Insert the CNC code you want (TEL) into the "Change CSC (Buyer)" field > Click the "Change CSC" button > Confirm that you want to spend 2 credits.
8. Let the application do it's work after which it will reboot and then you're good to go.

Samkey succesful

I hope this helps. for any techs or users who want to try, I have a few tokens for Samkey left, I would happily give away for free..

once this is done I rebooted my phone and everything works. even got the message to download service provider apps. (ie Telstra AIR). 

I hope this helps. 

G-unit

also,

if you don't want to do the above, Samsung should be able to flash it for you. they will be reluctant to do it, but there should be no reason they dont

@G-unit, I also came across the method you posted when I was researching about CSC.

I personally wouldn't have been game enough to try it (not that I need to because I have the correct CSC on my Note 9).

I'm glad it worked forSmiley Happy

Hopefully Samsung (as you suggested) could do this for customer's who are hesitant to try the method you did.

maeneak

So I've just been talking to Samsung support and they are now saying that the ''open variant" of the note 10+ bought from Samsung doesnt have RCS support out of the box. RCS is implimented by the carrier. They advised that only devices bought through Telstra will work on the Telstra RCS system. They said they cant change the CSC and that if i do it I will void my warranty. I have asked if I can return the phone and they have told me they will get back to me in the next 24hrs. 

maeneak

It's worth noting that my understanding is by completing this procedure you essentially root it, and;

1. Phone Warranty Will Be Void
  2. While Rooting If Anything Goes Wrong Your Device Might Be Bricked
  3. Your Device Will Be No Longer Secure
  4. You Won’t Be Able To Install Ota Updates Through Your Device

Can someone confirm this?

G-unit

I am no professional but I dont think no it's rooting. 

1. Phone Warranty Will Be Void It shouldn't (to a point)
  2. While Rooting If Anything Goes Wrong Your Device Might Be Bricked Definitely and wouldn't be covered by warranty
  3. Your Device Will Be No Longer Secure Potentially - you could introduce malware into your device from the software involved
  4. You Won’t Be Able To Install Ota Updates Through Your Device Unknown - we'll have to wait for feedback from @G-unit  to see what happens on this front
maeneak

@G-unit wrote:

I am no professional but I dont think no it's rooting. 

Dude is your phone working fine. No dramas?

G-unit

Working perfect. 

Seems to have better service too 

maeneak

Good enough for me. Downloaded...done. Moving on! Thank god. Thanks for the info mate.

A couple of notes for others:

• you can buy credits on ebay
  • only need 2 credits
  • the installed SamKey client is a false positive and Defender freaks out. Its not a trojan.

Should be 4 credits left with this login. On the house! Smiley Happy

u: samkeyius573778ozq
p: mh41hu17ty

Brucey54

Woohoo. It works..

Thanks maeneak. I used your 2 credits. Took your suggestion and purchased from eBay but due to the lag (and impatience) I used your login.

Now I also have credits if anyone wants some.

Once complete go to settings> connections> more connections> then turn on rich communications.

Enjoy....

stigmatized

@Brucey54 wrote:

Woohoo. It works..

Thanks maeneak. I used your 2 credits. Took your suggestion and purchased from eBay but due to the lag (and impatience) I used your login.

Now I also have credits if anyone wants some.

Once complete go to settings> connections> more connections> then turn on rich communications.

Enjoy....

Can you provide the ebay link you purchased from? Don't want to risk getting from a fake..

Highlighted
tj221

Would love to use the credits if i can?

Brucey54

Can anyone answer.

I have changed the CSC. But when I  check for a software update there is a message "stating current version software is not supported. Contact a service centre"

1. Does this or will this prevent any future software updates? Or

2. If the phone does update will this overwrite the CSC settings again?

Holding onto codes for now in case I have to change. 

Most likely scenario #1 as there is a mismatch between the firmware version and the CSC.

RLacey

Re: Telstra RCS not working on Note 10 5g

I found this thread..

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Samsung/Samsung-note-10-RCS-not-working/m-p/840652

But there is a cost. And not sure Samkey is safe.

Surely if you are a telstra customer (no matter if you purchased phone outright in Australia with a retailer), Telstra should fix this and get RCS working.

RLacey

I found this thread..

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Samsung/Samsung-note-10-RCS-not-working/m-p/840652

But there is a cost. And not sure Samkey is safe.

Surely if you are a telstra customer (no matter if you purchased phone outright in Australia with a retailer), Telstra should fix this and get RCS working.

RLacey

Re: Telstra RCS not working on Note 10 5g

So the issue seems to be that RCS isn't working for customers who buy the phone outright from JB, Harvey etc.... RCS is only working on phones sourced direct with Telstra.

Telstra.... you need to provide YOUR customers with the ability to turn on / active RCS.

Terrible behaviour like is 1990s with mobile phones.

RLacey

So the issue seems to be that RCS isn't working for customers who buy the phone outright from JB, Harvey etc.... RCS is only working on phones sourced direct with Telstra.

Telstra.... you need to provide YOUR customers with the ability to turn on / active RCS. Terrible behaviour like is 1990s with mobile phones.

Telstra can't fix it, as it is in the way that the firmware has been written (by Samsung). Telstra can request that Samsung enable the feature, but that is about it.

Bunglebp

Heya, I have a Note 10+ bought from JBHIFI and had the RCS issue,

I changed CSC via Samkey and can confirm OTA updates work and so does RCS & Visual Voicemail, also warranty still in check, shame the CSC is not standard on all the phones  

RLacey

@Jupiter wrote:

Yes, a Telstra branded Android would normally show TEL/TEL/TEL (single SIM) or TEL/TEL,TEL/TEL (for dual SIM).

Having XSA (unbranded) would seem to be the cause of the problem. Suspect that it is because Telstra hasn't traditionally had dual SIM phones and hasn't quite worked out how to ensure that they work properly with RCS in their system. 

That would also explain why the Note 10+ 5G works. It is a single SIM model. 

My Note 10 5G went from XSA /XSA /XSA to TEL/TEL/XSA after SamKEY.

Seems to be working now with RCS.

arsenalove

I have Samsung note 10 plus 4G dual sim bought from JB and in second try with Samkey managed to change it from XSA/XSA,/XSA,XSA to TEL/TEL,TEL/XSA and RCS feature popped in 5 min after that and contacted telstra for Audio message setup all good now after spending $25.00 on ebay. Shame that Telstra stooping so low to lock people in contracts.

petros5460

Confirming that I can now receive RCS on my note 10 plus after the samkey CSC change from XSA to Telstra. 

I have a Telstra business plan and initially had a Telstra supplied phone with that plan. The contract has not finished but I have upgraded my phone. My understanding is if I get an upgraded mobile phone from Telstra I will have to sign up for a new plan which is worse value than my current one.

The advice that Samsung support gave me stating Telstra had asked for RCS to be removed (presumably from XSA firmware phones) would be consistent with Telstra making sure that only phones with a Telstra CSC would be able to use RCS services. I wonder if this is also why you cannot change CSC over firmware if you were able to do this before.

It appears to be a fairly cynical exercise by telstra to say that only their customers that buy one of their devices can have an RCS service, forcing people into contracts on new plans if they want an upgraded phone.

maeneak

It was actually a change from Samsung that did this and previously it was alot easier to change the CSC using dial codes or simply having a Telstra SIM inserted. I have no idea why they would want to make it hard to change especially with generically sold phones but they have.

All XSA phones have TEL in the supported CSC list it's just Samsung no longer automatically sets the CSC based on the SIM and there is no simple way to change it anymore.

G-unit

So just a update. Everything has been working great

Also got the software update today ota. ..

petros5460

Would be great if telstra clarified the problem directly.

On a side note there is a way to get rcs going at present using android messages in beta in combination with the activity launcher app. (Google it)

I lost rcs again when I side installed the new one ui 2.0 beta but working again with the android messages beta workaround.

PongTana

@G-unit wrote:

So just a update. Everything has been working great

Also got the software update today ota. ..

Would you mind sharing how could you get the software update OTA. I've tweaked with SAMKEY and RCS working flawlessly but I can't get the OTA anymore.

It said "Your current software version isn't supported. Visit a service centre."

I bought my phone from Samsung.

Anyone have any idea?

G-unit

Post your software information 

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now