Level 20: Director

S 9 Android pie now available

I am currently downloading the android pie update OTA
I am not a Telstra employee, so all opinions are my own, I have been around Telstra products a long time and have a reasonably strong general tech knowledge. .

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: S 9 Android pie now available

It's available for the S9+ as well. Just be aware that it is a 1.75GB download.

And backup your phone before installing, just in case anything goes wrong.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 20: Director

Successfully updated no issues so far
I am not a Telstra employee, so all opinions are my own, I have been around Telstra products a long time and have a reasonably strong general tech knowledge. .
Level 21: Augmented

@Hunter-IT wrote:
I am currently downloading the android pie update OTA

@Hunter-IT Thanks for the heads-up. Downloading now :-)

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!

One S9+ successfully updated to Android Pie 😎
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

@Jupiter wrote:
One S9+ successfully updated to Android Pie 😎

@Jupiter Your definitely lucky to have the S9+ version, it looks like the update deals better with "the one finger" options that are more down near the bottom for the bigger phones.

I've got to give credit where credit is due, these Samsung phones are worth their money. Such a pleasure to use :-)

The new ONE UI has added one feature I really like and that is when you one finger swipe down from the top it now has bigger icons, and so much easier to see what you have turned on/off. I use this so much to turn on NFC when paying with my mobile as well as the Hotspot and Torch :-)

It might be my imagination, but it also seems more responsive too?

With the update I did need to go into Google Play and update Samsung Members and Samsung Email which was a little surprising. Unless that was waiting to update before I grabbed the new Pie? Plus, the feature of optimising needed to be run to free up some space and clean a few things up, which I would've thought it should run automatically after a big update.

One thing I really love playing around with my S9 is with the Samsung Gear VR. I get to travel around the world as it feels allot like being there, and look at stuff I otherwise wouldn't get a chance too. And it really is so funny when I have mates around and get them to jump out of aeroplanes and go skydiving, or anything to do with heights. Include that with a few beers and you crack up :-)

sTuDeimus
Level 1: Cadet

Mine went through fine, on an S9. Even left my alternative window manager in place. Have yet to find anything broken. Smiley Happy

One curious thing though... I've been going round in circles with Telstra Tech Support for several weeks now (mostly on Android 8.0) with non functional RCS (Rich Communication System)(works fine on wife's S8). After an hour of the tech today trying to shake their end into working order, they eventually came back saying " ohh, you upgraded to Pie... and that doesn't support RCS".

What the... !?!?!? What a copout! At that point I ended the call. Obviously the messgaging client has the RCS settings pages configured as they were on OS V8.0 and audio commands to #144 also work as they did before, so I can't imaging it shouldn't be working on V9.0.

Anyone have RCS working on V9 on Samsung S9/S9+ ?

RCS works fine on Android Pie on an S9+.
sTuDeimus
Level 1: Cadet

Thankyou supreme being!

Has anyone tried to turn on Mobile Hotspot?

I went to use that today for the first time since the update and every time I try and turn the slider on it slides back off.

schooner1
Level 3: Gumshoe

Mobile Hotspot turns on my S9+ with the Pie update

I've been using hotspot for most of this week.

Strange, I wonder why it's not staying on?

I can't think of any app that would be effecting it.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Ozmoz, I apologise for the delay in responding, That is very strange indeed, did the issue resolve itself?  what version of android are you running?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

@Ads wrote:

Hi Ozmoz, I apologise for the delay in responding, That is very strange indeed, did the issue resolve itself?  what version of android are you running?

Hi @Ads, no the problem is still happening. As per this thread, running android pie when the issue appeared.

I ruled out my SIM card as I tried it with another carrier with no luck.

I also tried going into Settings/General Management/ Reset/Reset Network Settings and no luck.

Rebooting, and even after resetting didn't achieve anything. Although I haven't done a master reset which is my last option.

Ok, I did a master reset which fixed my issue :-)

Although when I enabled Hotspot this time, it did ask me if I wanted to turn on WiFi sharing, so that may have been the original cause of not being on?

It was working before I installed Pie so I'm not 100% sure on what went skewiff?

So maybe if the issue pops up again is to check that WiFi sharing is enabled fyi.

Rix91
Level 2: Rookie

Update is not showing on my S9+ anyway to force it to show or where can I manually get it from?
Rix91

Re: S 9 Android pie now available.

Update is not showing on my S9+ anyway to force it to show or where can I manually get it from?

@Rix91 wrote:

@Rix91 So its not showing up when you go into Settings/Software Update/Download and install?

Rix91

Correct. Says no updates avaliable.

What is your current firmware version?

@Jupiter wrote:
What is your current firmware version?

And also @Rix91 what is the model number of your S9+?

Rix91

Hey all,

Found it. There was a security update that came through after hitting refresh a few times.

If you've got the Android Pie update, your firmware version should read
G965FXXU2CSA1/G965FOXM2CSA1/G965FXXU2CRLI

@Rix91 wrote:
Hey all,

Found it. There was a security update that came through after hitting refresh a few times.

@Rix91 Good to hear :-)

Just for FYI, you can obtain firmware's and everything Samsung mobile via https://www.sammobile.com/

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now