CrowdSupport®
ASB81
Level 2: Rookie

S9 plus - intermittent 'no reception' and call dropouts most of the time

Answered

Hi - ever since I moved to Telstra Pre-paid, my phone reception in Docklands and CBD is very poor. in most cases, my phone has no reception and I miss all the urgent calls. Once I leave the city area towards the suburbs, reception gets better. Other issue, I face is call dropping in the middle. Either, I stop hearing the other party or there is giberish before the call drops out. Does anyone know what to do? Telstra isn't even responding on my complain.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: S9 plus - intermittent 'no reception' and call dropouts most of the time

Thanks ASB81,

Might be worth downloading the free Device Care App https://tel.st/suwy4 to run diagnostics checks on your connection. 

We also have our Mobile Support page https://tel.st/6buh9 here where you can select your make and model to go through device specific troubleshooting. 

Have you made sure you have the most up to date software update for your Samsung operating system? 

You can also try performing a factory reset on your device. IMPORTANT: Be sure to back up your mobile and device data first as a factory reset of your phone back to original settings and erase all data.

Let me know how you go once you have run through these steps if you are still having the same issues.

Regards - Tom

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Finally.. you need to do each and every update regardless.... as Samsung will not let you skip to the one aftetr the current update. 

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11

A few suggestions

1. Reboot your phone 

2.  If no improvement do a Network Reset.

3. Ideally try your sim in another phone in area of concern.

Is your phone supplied by another network or providor?

Samsung have a technical support service at the Samsung Experience Store in Melbourne Central.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Support Team
Support Team

Hi ASB81. 

Just checking to see how you went with ProfessorPhone's suggestions and if you have seen any improvements?

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

ASB81

I tried the sim in another phone and works better. It's an old sony z5 which i replaced with the new samsung s9 plus. I am not sure if it's telstra compatibility issue with samsung or what. New phone not working as well as 3 yr old phone rusted phone, beats me.

I read somewhere else there were compatibility issues and telstra fixes it from back end if complained. 

Don't know what to do.

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Thanks ASB81,

Might be worth downloading the free Device Care App https://tel.st/suwy4 to run diagnostics checks on your connection. 

We also have our Mobile Support page https://tel.st/6buh9 here where you can select your make and model to go through device specific troubleshooting. 

Have you made sure you have the most up to date software update for your Samsung operating system? 

You can also try performing a factory reset on your device. IMPORTANT: Be sure to back up your mobile and device data first as a factory reset of your phone back to original settings and erase all data.

Let me know how you go once you have run through these steps if you are still having the same issues.

Regards - Tom

I suggested you do a Network reset. As you  have not responded it makes it hard to take you to the next step. You need to check your actual network settings.

I also asked if the phone was provided by another network as each network have each manufacturer tailor the software to suit the specific network and you may need to have the phone's software changed to generic or Telstra's specified Samsung software. Only Samsung can do this.

I understand your issue as I worked directly for 

many years directly for 2 different very major manufacturers at Australian head offices testing softwares for each network before public release.

ASB81

Sorry i didn't explicitly respond. 

I have rebooted and put the sim in and out many times. I have also reset network settings many times. Selected manual Telstra Mobile as well as automatic. Also, it's at LTE/3G/GSM mode. I have done all that many times, no relief.

The phone is a generic unlocked Samsung, not from any service privider.

ASB81

I will try the tools on Monday at office, given I have returned home and it works ok here. 

I don't want to reset to factory as it's a fairly new phone, only used a couple of months or so. 

The software update message I have now, is referring to camera features updates. I don't think it's relevant to network issues, so I'm not touching it *it will take 700mb if space.

If it is a generic phone, at the end of the day you really need to do a factory reset. Each network downloads specific software regardless. You should be able to resolve this if it's a generic phone, but you can't without a factory reset as already advised by Tommy as well. 

Accepted Solution

Finally.. you need to do each and every update regardless.... as Samsung will not let you skip to the one aftetr the current update. 

ASB81

Hi both

So it worked. I reset the phone over the weekend and then started with Telstra sim for the first time, and continued to apply all updates from Samsung and other applications. Today was my first day at work, at Docklands (same spot where it never used to work) and today it has been working perfect the whole day. I haven't seen 'no network coverage' all day and all the calls I attended or dialed, had no drop outs.

So thank you both, the factory default reset + all updates was the solution. Thumbs up!!! 

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi ASB81,

Appreciate the update, I'm so pleased that the advice of the crowd did the trick, that's excellent news.

Pop back if you need further support in the future.

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now