CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 & S7 EDGE

Well overnight the release details and specs for the new Samsung Galaxy s7 & S7 Edge were announced in Barcelona.

Declaration: Yes I'm a fan of Samsung Phones and Tablets. OK we've got that out of the way before any pot-shots are fired.

Galaxy-S7-Galaxy-S7-Edge.png

Both devices represent a great step up on last years S6 range. Most notable is the return of the micro SD card, something that was removed last year, but obviously Samsung have learnt from the public outcry about it's removal. It returns in a unique duel tray arrangement which also carries the Sim card... SD storage can now be added up to a 200GB SD card. The onboard storage will be either 32/ or 54GB with ram coming in at 4G.

Dual tray.jpg

Screen sizes 5.1 and 5.5 respectively, with the Edge now given a total work over which was needed and it now supports heaps of icons/widgets.

Cameras are  Dual 12 MP Pixel  rear and 5MP front.  Which processors will be available here in Australia is still to be announced could be Octa core (2.3GHz Quad + 1.6GHz Quad), 64 bit, 14 nm process or V ... Censors include:

Accelerometer, Proximity, RGB Light, Geo-magnetic, Gyro, Fingerprint, Barometer, Hall, HRM.
Battery life of the S6 was also a contentious point but this year 3,000mAh & 36.000mAh, receptively and Samsung have also worked on over heating problems on previous devices. Waterproofing is also refined and there's
Fast Charging both on wired and wireless  & is Wireless Charging compatible with WPC and PMA.
There's lots lot's more including a huge range of new accessories ...
Is Telstra going to have them available, you bet:
Telstra’s Director of Devices, Andrew Volard said "The new smartphones were set to be a hit with Australians, and Luxurious design, standout processing power, high-speed web performance and the return of much-loved features like water and dust protection are set to make this the most popular Galaxy smartphone launch yet. Customers upgrading to the new smartphones can look forward to the fastest web speeds yet on Samsung’s flagship phones with both the S7 and the S7 edge supporting category 9 LTE download speeds of up to 450Mbps on Telstra’s 4GX network. That means faster streaming, sharing and surfing on the web when in 4GX areas. ".
Telstra has launched a signup page for those interested in learning when the phones are up for pre-order, pointing customers to telstra.com/galaxys7 to register their details. If the Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 Edge are your ‘next’ then head over and register your details.
I for one look forward to putting my hands on an S7 Edge at our local Telstra shop.
Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
64 REPLIES 64
orion_jb2001
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Re: SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 & S7 EDGE

I received the heads up email from Telstra, good to see micro sd are back, 1st question, this "LTE Cat.9 (450mps) with VoLTE support" means???? The major issue I have with the S6 is the loss of voice signal strength, S5 areas that were good, are poor with the S6.  Is this LTE upgrade a fix for this??

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

VoLTE is now considered the primary mode for voice calls over a 4G LTE network, and yes I'm pretty certain you'll see a marked improvement in performance in that area.

Samsung have gone over the S6 with a fine tooth comb by the looks of it, they have listened to customers and addressed a lot of issues this time round.

Whilst the physical package may not look all that different to the previous model, under the hood they have gone to town.

Still waiting to hear which spec will apply to the Australia version of the S7 range Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 820 or Samsung’s own Exynos processors.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

orion_jb2001

Thanks.  The specs I have seen seem to put the S7 a bit physically smaller??

Jeff

G'Day again Jeff...

Dimensions S7 = 142.4 x 69.6 x 7.9 mmS6 = 143.4 x 70.5 x 6.8 mm

The actual bezel area on the S7 has been reduced also it's a slimmer package however it's slighly weightier ...

Weight152g138g

Over-all appears a bit more hand friendly, with curved back etc, especially for the Edge.

Signature.gif

Good morning Orion,

The link below to News Ltd indicates it will be 1mm thicker, but I regret that it does not have a removable battery, which is one of the main reasons I always have generally  used Samsungs.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/mobile-phones/new-samsung-galaxy-s7-unveiled/news-story/c6...

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Level 21: Augmented

I think it's going to be great, I love wireless charging. Pity that there is no USB-C but oh well.

I really like that they have the always on display, coming from a Lumia I am not sure I could get a device that doesn't have this.

Bigger battery ftw!
orion_jb2001

Yes wireles changing is a great bonus, so simple and easy to charge. Smiley Happy

One of the more interesting accessories they hopefully thius time bring along to the S7 & Edge S7 could be the Keyboard cover.

We first saw the Keyboard cover on the Note 5/Galaxy S6 Edge+ launch, but the cover itself never arrived in Australia.

Nothing beats typing on an actual keyboard. Snap it on to the front and the screen automatically resizes itself. When you’re done, it neatly fits on the back

Keyboard.jpg.

Signature.gif

tim1954
Level 13: Super Sleuth

I see they have a case with a battery in it that will wirelessly top up the S7! That will make it a bit chunkier too thank goodness, these units are far too slippery for my hands... That's an extra 2700mah for the S7.... That should get us through the day huh....

There's a great range of accessories.

Never seen Sammy offer such a range, BUT, having said that, it remains to be seen if they actually offer all of them in Australia. And yes I know they are currently showing on the SS Australian website at the moment, but they aren't confirmed.

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/mobile-phone/smartphone/smartphone/galaxy-s7/

The keypad is an example where they teased it before, but then didn't offer it in Aus.

Signature.gif

crikeym8
Level 2: Rookie

Is Samsung Offering free unlimited internet for 12 months with Telstra like they are elsewhere??   And what about 5G network?   Is it really going to be free internet on samsung devices next year?I REALLY REALLY like the 200 GIG micro sd card.   The 360 ^ camera seems cool.  The battery technology isnt like normal batterys,   it is completely different to other brands.  Same output after 2000 recharges.   Wireless charging,  waterproof and 4K screen and record.   Seriously,   i use  my old Galaxy s3 as a home pc,  this S7 is bloody fantantastic.  The EDGE screen is a highlight.  very good idea.   Not often i get excited about phones,   as long as the S7 makes good quality calls then its a winner.

That's a good and interesting summation you've made there Crikey...

I don't know about unlimited Internet, which would be great, but for pre-orders they are offering a bonus of the Samsung Gear VR (Virtual Reality) headset which for someone like me who loves techno toys, that's a plus. Then the next step with the headset would be the 360 deg. camera.

When Sammy dropped the removable battery on previous models I was somewhat concerned but since then I haven't been overly concerned as I haven't seen report after report of people having trouble with this, and now with additional battery cases and portable recharge units (battery Pack), well it's a non issue as far as I,m concerned.

I too am pleased to see however the return of SD card access, especially with the size e could now add, and the fact that reliable - upper end SD cards have dropped dramatically in price.

galaxy-s7_accessories_battery.jpg

Battery Pack

A powerful, portable charger that's supremely fast — not only when charging your Galaxy S7 or S7 edge, but also when charging itself. So whether you're on the bus or on the beach, the Battery Pack makes for a trusty companion.*Available in two capacities: 10200mAh and 5100mAh

Signature.gif

Mickb83
Level 10: Junior Detective

I think the selling point for me will be what spec phone is brought to Australia.

Unfortunately I have a sneaking suspicion that we will get the Eyxnos processor and not the Snapdragon, i'll also be surprised if Telstra sells anything larger than the 32gb version as we always seem to get the smaller versions on carriers here in Oz.

I for one would love to see a Snapdragon 54gb version available here, but unless you're willing to purchase it outright through the likes of Kogan, you're unlikely to see it on our shores. Which in all honesty is disappointing.

The other thing that will probably turn me off Samsung (as a former owner of 2 Samsung phones, and my wife now onto her third) is the lack of support for Android updates by Samsung in Oz, i'm assuming partly due to the spec differences between the phones we get and those sold elsewhere around the world. One only needs to look at the Device Update thread to see how woefully Samsung devices (well nearly all Australian release phones, but Samsung are the biggest name in Android) are maintained when it comes to providing timely software updates.

Yes, yes i know you can root and all that, but I want a phone I buy to be current as per Google's standards not the OEM's, for at least 2 years if I am on a 24mth contract. If Telstra stocked the Nexus 6P i'd be onto that already, but again, Telstra either refuses to stock the higher quality (spec) phones in favour of more mid range flagship devices, or our market just isn't big enough for the OEM's to want to ship the best of their ranges via carriers in Oz. I really hope it's the latter of the the former, but I have a suspicion it is in fact the former.

orion_jb2001

Othere sites, Whirlpool, are saying the only countries that will get snapdragon are USA and China.

gary16

When will we know galaxy s7 plan costs and whether or not the s7 is blue tick rated?
mickyj27
Level 1: Cadet

Ditto^

Hi guys, if Telstra are true to form, the financial arrangements for these will be released on the eve of pre-orders, Friday 12.01am.

With top of the line devices iot becomes a bit of a cat and mouse game between the carriers, not wanting to be out-done be each other, so they wait till the last moment unless they have a totally totally unbeatable deal.

You'll hear about the pricing here as soon as we get wind of it, don't worry.

Signature.gif

DigitalQuill

Will either of these 2 phones have the Telstra Blue Tick....and therefore a bit better coverage according to Telstra?  But does the Blue Tick really make a huge difference?

orion_jb2001

Hmm the blue tick............... The S6 has or had a blue tick.  I live in the country and my S6 went backwards in voice reception when compared to the S5.  So the blue tick may not at all be relevant to anything, at least with the S6.  It is a known issue that the S6 was terrible in voice reception so I and thousands of others are hoping that Samsung picked up on the "minor"  cough cough problem with their mobiles, that the main thing people have mobiles is to be able to talk with others, so having poor voice reception is not a big selling point for a mobile phone. Smiley Happy

I've been officially informed that pricing/plans and indications about blue tick or the like, should all be available when Pre-Orders for these units opens at 12.01am Friday ... tomorrow morning ...

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobiles-on-a-plan/samsung-galaxy?ti=TR:TR:FEB16:thenextgala...Smiley Tongue

Signature.gif

Mickb83

Well I guess this answers the questions on what memory sizes will be available in Oz. If they don't release the larger model in the US they won't release them here.
And if they have disabled the memory expansion features of Marshmallow then that rules out the handset for me

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/22/samsung-galaxy-s7-problems/#376bc4d62ebe
TheAntic

After 12 where is the link?
grumpys7

Fail, telstra.
jimbojames

You found it yet?

jimbojames

link is live!Smiley Very Happy

They had some hi-cups , as per usual  Smiley Frustrated but the pre order link is as per the link I provided earlier last night: https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobiles-on-a-plan/samsung-galaxy?ti=TR:TR:FEB16:thenextgala...Smiley Tongue

Signature.gif

orion_jb2001

Interestimg price range.  And at this stage, no blue tick.  But, they will say that they would still be testing it with their exhaustive testing procedures for the Australian areas, so the blue tick may come later.  However the answer may already be known, the S7 will still be as bad as the S6 in voice reception, in which case, they better hope lots of metropolitan persons pick it up because anyone in the country who depends on the simple voice network and has already been bitten with the S6, will avoid this like the plague.  Whats the saying, once bitten twice shy.......

gary16

Has the galaxy s7 and s7 edge finished in field testing to determine blue tick?
Mickb83

Annnnnnd as expected, only a 32gb model available.
Well now I'm waiting on official confirmation from Samsung whether the changes to the SD Card settings have been made. If so then this completely wipes away any inter I have in this device. Very disappointing.
enough1

No Blue Tick then!!!!!!!!!

Still in testing at this stage I'm led to believe.

Signature.gif

orion_jb2001

Send one up here, I will answer that question in 3 seconds .... lol

tim1954
Level 13: Super Sleuth

And you wouldn't charge telstra a cent to do it hey..... Lol

@orion_jb2001 wrote:

Send one up here, I will answer that question in 3 seconds .... lol

Hey Orion, that was quick and clever,t like it you get todays 100 points ward, well done ... Smiley Very Happy

Signature.gif

Worth a read if you're contemplating a new Samsung Galaxy S7 or Edge.... This gives an idea of the testing the Telstra people do, for blue tick accreditation and to ensure that the software and hardware will perform to there best...

http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2016/02/29/behind-the-scenes-as-we-test-the-samsung-galaxy-s7/

test.jpg

Signature.gif

orion_jb2001

You really wonder about their testing.  I have been professionally in communications for 40 years this year, both Defence and emergency services.  When something new appears comms wise, the first place you head for is a known black spot, to comapre the new toy with historical knowledge.  Nearby Rural Fire Services areas are in the process I changing to a digital PMR network.  Just listening as they test, you hear great news when the locals go to a known black spot and find their new radio is working perfectly. 

I very much hope Samsung just doesn't test it in a lab and go to known black spots to compare it with previous Samsung models.  They must have a good idea what has worked and what hasn't.. ( S6 bashing.... dud). And be real honest with their customers and if it doesnt cut the grade for a blue tick, dont give it one.  They will get far more possible clients by bieng honest than trying to deceive.  The person may stay with Samsung but go for a known performer in rural areas.

Jeff

orion_jb2001

Interesting article.  We live in hope ................although I would love to know how they gave the S6 a blue tick...... Smiley Happy

orion_jb2001

Any contact details for these people, I would love to have a chat. (PM of course)

orion_jb2001

Have they solved this reception problem with VoLTE???? Me thinks they might be.  And a confirmation that the S6 is a dud on LTE:

This found:

Voice over LTE (or VoLTE) allows you to use the Telstra Mobile Network to make phone calls on your compatible handset. Up until recently this network has been reserved exclusively for mobile data usage.

To use VoLTE, simply request it on your handset.

VoLTE is currently available to consumer customers on Post-Paid offers only. Access for Business and Pre-Paid customers will be available in the future.

To request access, and be placed on the migration list, follow these instructions:

Samsung:

1. Ensure you’ve a compatible handset (GALAXY Note 5, GALAXY S6 edge+).
  2. Update to the latest software.
  3. Go to Settings, select Mobile Networks, and then tap Access Point Names.
  4. If you can see IMS APN, your phone is ready to migrate to VoLTE. If not, take note of any APN you have – this will reset them to default.
  5. Tap More (found in the top right corner).
  6. Reset to default.
  7. Repeat steps 3 through 5 and IMS APN will now appear.
  8. Power cycle the phone

well straight into the S6 and it does not have this APN, so as Telstra have been rolling out this VoLTE system, their current work horse mobile numero uno won't work on it (I wonder why the S6 edge+ does, was it an upgrade component that missed out in the S6 ??) .............. I have the latest update for the S6.  According to the author of the testing article, the S7 will...... Smiley Happy May be Samsung have saved their bacon!

orion_jb2001

Further:

Our main priority throughout the VoLTE rollout is to protect and preserve the superior network experience and world class voice quality that we currently offer to our customers while introducing the benefits of the new 4G Calling service. VoLTE will be available in most parts of our network from the start where there is 3G and 4G coverage available. The brand new iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus will be among the first enabled devices, along with Samsung’s Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge+ and others including the latest Xperia smartphones from Sony Mobile.

Hmm may be the first release S6 did miss out on a new component which has been incorporated later in 2015......

orion_jb2001

Yep, thats confimred.  The original S6 can not operate on VoLTE.  The more I read about the VoLTE the more obvious Telstras intentions are, building up the data network, where your voice calls using VoLTE, will be operating.  Should mean better receoption anywhere there is good 4g covereage.  Going back to my S6, in some known voice black spots for voice for me, 4g booms in.  With VoLTE the voice will be good too.  Smiley Happy

Heath_WilD

I have pre-ordered S7 edge and received my confirmation number but when I try to use the order status tracker I get an error message stating that my order cannot be found in the system and to wait 24 hours to try again.
smittygal90

I have ore-ordered the s7 edge i just checked my tracking numner to see what it says and it states my order has been delayed. Is this just because they arent available for delivery yet?
Any help is appreciated.
Mel
amit117

I am getting the same. I pre-ordered on 3rd March and still nothing in order status. 

smittygal90

I will ring tomorrow and ask i think. I dont want it to be delayed Smiley Happy
jaxsta
Level 4: Private Eye

The pre order page now shows both models as having the blue tick.
Just a small town girl
jaxsta
Level 4: Private Eye

@Mickb83 wrote:
Well I guess this answers the questions on what memory sizes will be available in Oz. If they don't release the larger model in the US they won't release them here.
And if they have disabled the memory expansion features of Marshmallow then that rules out the handset for me

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/22/samsung-galaxy-s7-problems/#376bc4d62ebe

You're correct, US reviews shoe that the SD card will not be used as adoptable storage.
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-review?bt_alias=eyJ1c2VySWQiOiJlZmEyMzUxMi0yZGM...

Just a small town girl
orion_jb2001

@jaxsta wrote:

@Mickb83 wrote:

You're correct, US reviews shoe that the SD card will not be used as adoptable storage.
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-review?bt_alias=eyJ1c2VySWQiOiJlZmEyMzUxMi0yZGM...

Um what report did you read........ :

"That's a departure from the way previous versions of Android used an SD card, and for a multitude of reasons Samsung has decided not to include adoptable storage in its Marshmallow build for the Galaxy S7 edge — not the least of which being user confusion and worries over data corruption when a low-quality SD card is used. When you insert an SD card into the Galaxy S7 edge it works just like it did in any pre-Marshmallow phone you may have used, in that it's simply mounted as a separate volume for you to store data of your choosing on. That is, except for some kinds of data that just don't play well with removable storage of this type."

Ok it won't be the adaptive marshmellow all memory grouped to gether to look like a single drive, but as above states, it will excatly like your standard mobile with an micro card option, more memory  to store things, basically like a desktop with a number of drives.  I think thats a suitable compromise.

orion_jb2001

And further from Forbes:........

Last week prospective Galaxy S7 owners were dealt a double blow, but now Samsung has confirmed to me it has made a quiet U-turn which may just solve these concerns…  

Today Samsung backed up the fascinating find by Droid Life earlier this week. The well respected Android site managed to obtain a pre-release Galaxy S7 and discovered it could do something very important: safely install apps on the phone’s expandable microSD storage."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/03/04/galaxy-s7-brilliant-feature-uturn/#5bb404ae1757

Smiley Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit