Highlighted
Matty317
Level 2: Rookie

Samsumg S7 and S7 edge update

Answered
Can someone from Telstra please advise when the nougat update will be released. Your site says today but still nothing. Yet Optus and Vodafone released theirs on the 21st. You are always late with updates. For a telco that is to be advanced in telecommunications you should be the first to do this and not be out beaten by your opposition.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Samsumg S7 and S7 edge update

Don't panic. It will arrive. Samsung controls the timing of the release (once it is approved) as it is done on their servers, not Telstras. The date on the Telstra site is only an estimated date.

The updates are also usually staged releases, with about 10% of handsets getting them on Day 1 and the Last one a week later.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
54 REPLIES 54
Accepted Solution

Don't panic. It will arrive. Samsung controls the timing of the release (once it is approved) as it is done on their servers, not Telstras. The date on the Telstra site is only an estimated date.

The updates are also usually staged releases, with about 10% of handsets getting them on Day 1 and the Last one a week later.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
rayser45
Level 1: Cadet

Optus managed to approve it for the S7 this week and the upate arrived today on my wifes phone.  I think Telstra still has not approved it but we will never know because they do not update the site.

Matty317

Samsung does not control the timing. Telstra are just to slow with updates. As i said earlier they need to lift their game. It's no wonder with all the issues they have and lack of updates that customers are going with other telcos.
harold_257
Level 4: Private Eye

Just flash with ODIN and you can have it already, got mine 2 days ago

Teddo

@harold_257 does VoWifi work on your unbranded device?
loosekid187
Level 3: Gumshoe

@Teddo sorry mate but it dosnt
--- If you can read this.. well.. smile.. means your not blind ---
Level 20: Director

@Teddo volte won't work on unbranded firmware either
I am not a Telstra employee, so all opinions are my own, I have been around Telstra products a long time and have a reasonably strong general tech knowledge. .
truckerdave0483

@Hunter-ITnot true. I have unbranded firmware on my s7 that got the new android 7.0 update and VoLTE is working on it which is running a telstra sim card.

It even has an option in the settings to turn it on or off if i choose to.

Must say that the phone is more responsive and feels fresh now

I stand corrected my understanding was that ony Carrier firmware allowed volte
I am not a Telstra employee, so all opinions are my own, I have been around Telstra products a long time and have a reasonably strong general tech knowledge. .
loosekid187

Yeah wow as far as i was aware volte wouldnt work lol
inaroundroom

On a Telstra purchased S7 with the XSA firmware VoLTE is working but VoWIFI is not so far, using a BTU firmware neither worked.

inaroundroom

On a Telstra purchased S7 with the XSA firmware VoLTE is working but VoWIFI is not so far, using a BTU firmware neither worked.

Paulbrown1

The update has still not arrived yet. Does anyone know what the hold up is?
Matty317

@Paulbrown1 Still waiting for Telstra to release the update.  I have since used a XSA rom on S7 edge and works perfectly fine and with VoLTE.

Paulbrown1

@Matty317 I'm not familiar with XSA rom, or volte. How do I use these programs? Or would it be better to way for the update?
dog753

As usual Telstra doesent care as it is not worth money, To busy with there so called speed . Customers come last especially reagonal slow or no service and last with updates wake up.
Cosmicvelvet

If i flash the Australian XSA stock ROM for S7 will it void samsung KNOX And is it safe to use odin to flash stock roms i hate to have a virus And also if i flash a stock rom can i still get OTA updates from Samsung

Yes it's disgusting how an ESTIMATED time frame for what will be a staggered release has passed by less than 1 business day and Telstra don't have staff on overtime to give immediate answers.
Shame telstra shame [/sarcasm]
loosekid187

I think People are more upset because this happens.. every...single...time.. when was the last time telstra was on the ball with a Flag Ship Phone Update?

we pay alot. yet we are always the last.

SwitchMC

I had the notification pop up yesterday morning, but stupidly didnt download it as I was driving. It then disappeared and I cant seemingly pull it down again. Smiley Sad Flying out on Holidays tomorrow, really wanted it sorted before then Smiley Sad

SwitchMC

Downloading XSA firmware cos I can't wait!
PCam

Let us know how you go
SwitchMC

Downloaded and installed successfully. No issue so far! I got Volte showing up as working too.
PCam

Do you know if Knox was tripped?
Matty317

Knox doesn't get tripped because it's a genuine rom not a custom rom. You can check if it has by putting your phone into download mode and next to knox still should say 0
ilobo
Level 6: Bloodhound

Knox won't be tripped with a genuine Samsung firmware, regardless of carrier or region. VoLTE now works on unbranded nougat firmware (unlike marshmallow), however VoWIFI won't work unless you stay on carrier firmware.

Optus had to suspend the update for the S7 last week due to a critical issue that surfaced on the early adopters who updated their s7's. So just be patient, the update is likely imminent. We've all waited 6 months, what's another week in the scheme of things?
SwitchMC

Knox was not tripped. 

As was said, its genuine samsung firmware.

ilobo

Looks like Telstra have approved the update, rolling your way from tomorrow, Feb 28
drumster

@ilobo wrote:
Looks like Telstra have approved the update, rolling your way from tomorrow, Feb 28

Where did you get that info?

BigTechGuy

Guys,

If you really, really, REALLY want it now without waiting for it to be deployed and pushed to your device you can dowload the generic XSA software and load it via Odin. Just be sure to use the latest version which is v3.12. 

Understand that this will WIPE your phone so make sure that you have your applications and contacts backed up to your Google account and use a backup program like Super Backup to save all your SMS messages, call logs and calender entries.

To put to bed any questions about Voice Over LTE the generic XSA firmware has this feature enabled. If there is any doubt I've attached a screen capture to show that it is indeed active.

If you are unsure how update your firmware via Odin just wait a few days and the Telstra branded firmware will be pushed out soon enough and all your data and infoamtion will remain.

HenryLTE.png 

inaroundroom

Telstra have updated the firmware page, copy & paste below:

Samsung Galaxy S7

Handset Model Number: G930F
Operating Software: Android: Nougat 7
Software Version: G930FXXU1DQBF

Update Type: Platform update
Update Testing Status: Approved - waiting for deployment
Estimated Available Date: 28/02/2017
loosekid187

Tomorrow the update drops

But i have 1 other question

If u use the XSA firmware on your ph9ne via odin can u still get updates though it? Or do u have to reload it with odin all the time?
inaroundroom

You will get updates for the XSA firmware OTA.
Carter89

Hi I have the s7 edge and since yesterday I have had the volte showing up? Has it only just been switched on from telstra for the device
Matty317

VoLTE was enabled by telstra for the release of nougat for samsung.  VoLTE was already running for other brand phones that are already running Nougat.  

Bmoka4

Hi guys,

Looking forward to the Nougat S7 edge update.

I would like to know that once the Nougate update is installed, would it be good practice to do a factory reset for a more fresh use of Android?

I have made several backups from my S7 edge using the samsung app that came along with the ohone.

Man thanks.

loosekid187

Update is live!! Smiley Happy got it downloading on my 7 and 7 esge as i type Smiley Happy
ilobo

@Bmoka4 in my experience it really isn't necessary anymore, as firmware updates are quite a mature process. But if you encounter issues once updated, then of course a factory reset should be used as a last resort. Plenty of options available before going full wipe off the phone

Downloading now
Majbour

I can confirm it is up and downloading as we speak. 23% 

Bmoka4

Downloading now, I have got the update notifcation, I just hope that my Uni wont mind using 1.2 GB of their data Smiley Happy

Majbour

which uni lol
Bmoka4

Rmit?

at 44% currently.

Installed and working fine
the_scotsman_

Full ROM is on SamFirm for download, if you prefer to do a clean flash manually rather than OTA.

So far im impressed phone is faster and some stability issues in apps including Facebook are gone. A few changes take getting used to bit over all a plus
Matty317

@Hunter-IT I agree.  Certainly faster love the performance mode and ability to change screen resolution.  I'm very impressed.  I'm running the XSA firmware (couldn't wait) does the Telstra rom have any settings for VoWIFI?

Yes it does
jimmah_82

I have the Nougat update from an OTA non-Telstra update and can't see the VoWiFi settings.

Do I need the Telstra firmware to enable VoWiFi? If so, do I need to get it flashed in-store or is there a DIY solution.

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now