Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Information about the battery issue

Answered

Update as of 18/10/2016 11:07 AEDT 

Samsung Electronics Australia is now voluntarily recalling all Galaxy Note7 smartphones including replacement Note7s to protect consumer safety. If you have an original or replacement Note7 smartphone, please power it down and stop using the phone.

What you need to do
1) To swap to an alternative handset

If you would like to change your handset this can be arranged and any early termination costs will be waived. Any device repayment charges you’ve already paid for the Galaxy Note7 will also be refunded. Should you choose to recontract with another Samsung S7 or S7 Edge device, you will also receive a $250 goodwill credit.

Staff at your local Telstra store can help you with the handset change or you can call us on 1800 006 834. We’re available 8am-8pm.

2) If you are using a loan phone from a Telstra store

Please come into store so we can move you to an alternative smartphone model, cancel your contract without penalty, and provide you with a refund on your device purchase. You can call us on 1800 006 834 between 8am and 8pm to do this over the phone if you’d prefer. You should have returned your Note7 but if you have not done so then we can arrange for a box to be sent to you for this purpose. Please ensure you’ve done this as soon as you can. For customers who chose the S7 Edge as a loan phone you’ve also been sent a parcel to return this handset. We’ll be in contact shortly with details on how to return this. Customers who chose the J1 Mini do not need to return it.

3) If you are using a loan phone arranged through our webform 

Please come into store so we can move you to an alternative smartphone model, cancel your contract without penalty, and provide you with a refund on your device purchase. You can call us on 1800 006 834 between 8am and 8pm to do this over the phone if you’d prefer. You should have received a box with your loan phone for returning your Note7 but if you have not done so then we can arrange for a box to be sent to you for this purpose. Please ensure you’ve done this. For customers who chose the S7 Edge as a loan phone you’ve also been sent a parcel to return this handset. We’ll be in contact shortly with details on how to return this. Customers who chose the J1 Mini do not need to return it. 

4) If you have been using your own temporary phone

Please come into store so we can move you to an alternative smartphone model, cancel your contract without penalty, and provide you with a refund on your device purchase. You can also call us on 1800 006 834 between 8am and 8pm to do this over the phone if you’d prefer. If you haven’t already returned your Note7, we’ll send you a box so that you can return it.

5) If you have recontracted to a new phone

If you have chosen to recontract to a new handset and you have already returned your Note7 there is no action required by you. If you still have one of the recalled devices that needs to be returned we’ll send you a box so that you can return it.

Flight Restrictions

A number of airlines have now banned the carriage of Galaxy Note7s on international and domestic flights as either carry-on or in your checked baggage. This means you cannot take a Note7 on the flight even if it’s turned off. Please check with your airline for more info. Samsung also has more info on its website.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Information about the battery issue

This thread is now locked, if you have a question about your Samsung Galaxy Note 7 that is not answered here https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Announcements/Samsung-Galaxy-Note7-Information-about-the-batt... then please start a new thread and our Community Members and Support Teams will assist.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
552 REPLIES 552
grommet31
Level 3: Gumshoe

So Telstra are you going to refund me for my screen protector too, noting I didn't plan on returning my phone 1 month after getting it, seriously this is ridiculous...

jon62071
Level 2: Rookie

Hi

I have a telstra note 7 and I am currently working in the UK for the next 3 weeks. Is there any way I can swap my handset through a UK Samsung store or am I stuck risking using it. I can't go without a phone for this time.

Thanks

Jon
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jon62071,
The Samsung FAQ here http://www.samsung.com/au/galaxynote7-notice/ states:

"Do I have to pay for my affected Note7 to be sent back to the original place of purchase or to Samsung?

Samsung can arrange to collect your device from your nominated address at no cost."

Please let me know if you have any further questions - Oliver

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi grommet31,

The Samsung FAQ here http://www.samsung.com/au/galaxynote7-notice/ advises: 

"If I get a Refund, can I also get a refund for my accessories?

Yes, if you choose a refund, you may also request a refund for your Note7 specific accessories purchased; the purchase invoice for each accessory is required for processing."

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with - Oliver

mialovelle

Will I get a confirmation sms or email for the loan phone? I filled out the form for the loan phone and I didn't get any sms or email. I'm in desperate need of phone and don't know how long til I get this loan phone. Spent hrs on the phone and wasted my petrol going to the Telstra store just to tell me they don't have loan phones. I want those wasted time back pls.

hobbsyno1

Hi Telstra,

You state "Should you choose to recontract with a Galaxy S7 Edge, you will also receive a $100 goodwill credit."

If customers choose to stay in contract with a replacement note 7 will they also receive $100 goodwill credit? Considering they have shown goodwill by deciding to remain in contract with telstra
thetweedy

@hobbsyno1 when i took my note 7 into Telstra yesterday and told them that i would wait for a replacement note 7, i was told by the gentleman helping me with a loan phone that i would receive $100 goodwill credit because of the inconvience. I hope i wasn't told the wrong information.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi mialovelle,

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience so far.  If you have completed the above form, we’ll arrange a phone to be sent to you. This should take 3 business days - Oliver

MarleneVenes
Level 1: Cadet

I need a loan phone and would like the S7 Edge as loan. I first rang Telstra Rouse Hill and the gentleman I spoke to said they have both the S7 Edge and J1 Mini as loan. Within an hour, I then went to the shop during my work lunch break only to be told by another person they only have the J1 Mini as loan. GGGRRR....
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi MarleneVenes,

I'm really sorry for the hassle.  If the store was unable to provide your preference of loan device please complete the online order form and we’ll arrange a phone to be sent to you. This should take 3 business days. - Oliver

99nights
Level 6: Bloodhound

We have to register for a replacement phone? Shouldn't all note 7 users automatically be eligible already as soon as the replacement stock comes out?
Community Manager

Hi @99nights,

While all Samsung Galaxy Note 7 users subject to the recall are automatically eligible for the device exchange, we still need to register customers for this to confirm that we are recalling their handset and providing them with a temporary device to use in the interim should they request this.

Once the replacement stock arrives, you can then return the temporary device to the store you obtained it from and continue to use the replacement device provided by Samsung.

My apologies for any frustrations or confusion regarding this

Regards

99nights

So let me get this straight, i wont get my replacement device unless i register for it?
99nights

And registration involves returning my current note for a replacement, as soon as i return it? Are we not elligable having a contract under telstra already?
Community Manager

My apologies for any confusion, @99nights.

The recall is for all devices regardless of carrier as this is issued by Samsung directly, not just devices under Telstra contracts.

The device you receive after returning your Note 7 is a loan device (This will be in the form of a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Samsung J1 Mini or the loan stock that the store is subject to at that point in time) as specified in the post above and is listed against your account as a temporary handset until the replacement devices are delivered by Samsung. You will then return the loan device to the store you obtained it from or via. the recovery satchel provided.

Alternatively, if you are unable to visit a store to register for the temporary device and return your Note 7; we can send you one if you complete the following webform: https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Samsung-Galaxy-Note7-recall-loan-phone-request

Regards

99nights

Could i choose to wait until the replacement stock arrives then get my replacement then, or do i have to do the registration no matter what?
Community Manager

@99nights

As the recall has been advised by Samsung directly, we encourage customers to complete the above mentioned steps as soon as possible.

Regards

99nights

Ok, so what about a phone case for the loan device is that provided to so the loan device isn't damaged?
Dan76

Quick question.

I have received my J1 in the mail along with a box to send my Note 7 back. The letter recieved states to pack the Note 7 and then call 1800 811 128 to arrange the free courier quoting a supplied reference number.

I understand its Saturday today, but can someone please verify 1800 811 128 is the actual number?  It has been engaged all day today??  It doesn't make sense.

I'll try again on Monday, hopefully the number is correct.

socrates001

Readers should be aware that not every store you see with the word TELSTRA displayed on it is a Telstra store!

I went in to Telstra Hornsby Westfield today to exchange my Samsung Note 7, which I purchased online from Telstra, following the instructions posted on this website to go to a Telstra store to make the exchange.

I was told that it wasn't a real Telstra store, only a franchise, and that unless I had purchased the phone there, I would have to go to a REAL TELSTRA store - in Chatswood or Macquarie Park.

Slack slack slack!

So, I went across thr road to the Samsung shop who were only too happy to assist, even though I didn't have all the credential they required, like my Telstra contract.

You really don't know how to treat customers telstra. Either that or there is some significant training required ....

towhid

Hi There,

I am currently in India for couple of months.. Where do I have to return my phone. Can someone help me with this please.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi towhid,

regrettably we can only assist you with the return within Australia. Here’s what Telstra customers should do http://tel.st/SamsungN7
You may want to contact a local Samsung office to see if they can assist you.
-Ern

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

towhid

Thanks Ern, but I have seen in earlier conversations OLiT from support team mentioned "Jon62071" an option for a return overseas. How come it is not possible in this case.

Support Team
Support Team

Can you send me a link to that conversation?
-Ern

towhid

Support Team
Support Team

As advised, Telstra can only assist you with the return within Australia. You can check out the FAQ Samsung provide for further information here http://www.samsung.com/au/galaxynote7-notice/

Samsung Australia may be able to assist you. However as suggested I'd contact a local Samsung office to seek assistance as this may end up being more convenient due to the timeframe you will be overseas.
-Ern

Dan76

http://imgur.com/x9i8E6X

The Telstra letter states to contact 1800 811 128 to organise the courier quoting a unique reference number.

Well 1800 811 128 is always engaged, and Telstra support (1800 006 834) have no idea what that number is, its not in their internal directory. A Google search also fails to find this number being valid?

Please clarify the correct number!!

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Dan76, 1800 811 128 is a contact number for Star Track Express which is why it wouldn;t be shown to Telstra staff as an internal number. You can also contact Star Track on 13 23 45. 

Dan76

Thanks Greg, spoke to Startrack on the 13 number, the dedciated Note 7 recall 1800 811 128 number wasn't activated until just this morning.

Level 20: Director

Samsung tell all Note 7 owners to return devices after car is gutted by fire started by phone.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/mobile-phones/samsung-tell-all-note-7-owners-to-return-dev...

AnnieR

I think people need to be made aware of the Loan phone options:

I chose the J1 Mini as I was informed by the Telstra rep that I would be able to transfer everything onto it that I had on my Note7 and I would be able to keep it as a spare phone.

This wasn't the case, and now, I have lost some of the information that I had on my Note7 as I wasn't able to transfer everything.

NOT HAPPY :-(

If I had've known this would be the case, I would've got the S7 Edge instead.

The J1 Mini is crap!  the screen is not receptive to using the keyboard; the camera is terrible; and overall it's a horrible phone.

If only I had known all of this prior to changing, I would've made a different decision.

Telstra representatives, please make customers aware of the difference in these loan phone options.

Bring on the replacement Note7's!!!!

I believe they are available from next week [21 Sept] and I expect to receive notification from Telstra asap so I can return to a decent phone.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi AnnieR,

I do apologise that you weren't correctly informed of the devices available upon returning your Note 7.

Further information regarding Note 7 returns can be found here http://tel.st/SamsungN7

- Jarred

Support Team
Support Team

Hi AnnieR.
Just checking in to see whether you found the information you needed?
Thanks, Ern

99nights

@AnnieR seriously what did you expect from a 170 dollar phone
oscarman1

I had  a J1 delivered yesterday, with a cardboard box added for my Note 7 to be returned in I am guessing, but no letter that was meant to be included. Where do I send the Note 7 to? Does it have to be returned before the new one is sent?  

99nights

I have a screen protector on my note 7 but no reciept for it because who keeps a reciept for that plus how was to know that the devices were exploding at the time I purchased the screen protector, will I still get reimbursed for that? Also what about a case for the loan s7 edge, i don't want to spend money on a loan phone because that makes no sense, telstra should provide a free case with it.
Support Team
Support Team

As soon as you can, please return your Note7 to your local Telstra Store so we can register you for a replacement phone. Further details of what is involved with the Samsung Note 7 can be found via 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Announcements/Samsung-Galaxy-Note7-Information-about-the-batt...

Support Team
Support Team

You may also request a refund for your Note7 specific accessories purchased; the purchase invoice for each accessory is required for processing.

Further information can also be found via the same link... https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Announcements/Samsung-Galaxy-Note7-Information-about-the-batt...

KnightmareGC

I've just received this text message:

"Thank you for completing the online form requesting a phone to use while your Samsung Galaxy Note7 is replaced. Your J1 Mini handset has been shipped and is due to arrive in 2-5 business days. Your tracking number is ########. You'll also receive a box for returning your current Note7 and a letter that explains the replacement process. Questions? Visit tel.st/SamsungN7"

I have completed the online form. But I opted for the S7 Edge (Which I have already received). Not the J1.
Is this just an error? Or do I have a random parcel on the way?
Support Team
Support Team

May I just clarify that you were wanting the S7 Edge as a replacement for the Note 7 or did you opt to have the Edge as a loan phone in the temporary?

KnightmareGC

I want the replacement / new Note 7.

The S7 Edge is a loan phone (which is to be returned once the new stock of the Note 7 is available).
Support Team
Support Team

Hi KnightmareGC,

Thanks for the further clarification.

I'd like us to look into this for you, if you could chat via the following secure chat link we can investigate   http://tel.st/49kl

let me know how you get on.

Angela  

kevin201

Do we just return phone, or do we need to include charger, earplugs and cables, want J1 and then new Note 7. Samsung have said only phone, keep accessories, what is Telstra saying

Kevin

Support Team
Support Team

Hey kevin201,

Please note it only mentioned the phone, if it was me I'd send the whole lot back but that's your choice.

Angela 

thetweedy

I took my note 7 into a Telstra store last Wednesday (7/9) and i was told to hang onto my note 7 but not to use it and they gave me a HTC Desire 550 as a loan phone, which i wasn't too happy about and haven't been using, they also put in my request to be given a replacement note 7 when it comes in.

Is there anyway to make sure i've been place on this list and secondly, should i be taking my note 7 back to the store again as i've read that we're suppose to hand the phone back but i was told to hang onto it. Thanks !

Support Team
Support Team

Hii thetweedy,

I would suggest calling 1800 006 834 to confirm 100% what they would suggest in your scenario.

Angela  

99nights

Only send back the phone, can keep the rest. States that everywhere.
oscarman1

Does requesting a J1 through the Online Order Form mean I have been recorded as being registered for a replacement Note 7?

MsSnookems

Can you tell me if there is any news on when the replacement Note 7 are going to be available?

@Yannick wrote:

Update as of 6/09/16

Samsung has announced a voluntary recall of the Galaxy Note7 smartphone in Australia.

This is due to a safety issue with the Galaxy Note7’s battery.

You can learn more about the issue at Samsung’s website: http://www.samsung.com/au/galaxynote7-notice/

What you need to do

If you haven’t already, you should back up your device and immediately power off your Note7 and unplug the device from its charger.

As soon as you can, please return your Note7 to your local Telstra Store so we can register you for a replacement phone.

We are working with Samsung to obtain fresh Note7 stock as quickly as possible. Samsung advises replacement units are expected in three to four weeks.

In addition to working with Samsung, Telstra is also providing some options to help you.

Loan phones

If you would like a loan phone while you wait for Samsung to provide a replacement. Please visit your nearest Telstra store for a loan unit. Please note, stock availability can vary from store to store.

If you are unable to visit a store please complete the online order form and we’ll arrange a phone to be sent to you. This should take 3 business days.

Loan phone options:

• Samsung S7 Edge: Details on this handset are available here. If you select this option you will need to return this device once your new Note7 arrives.
  • Samsung J1 Mini: Details on this handset are available here. If you select this option you do not need to return it and you’ll be provided with a new SIM that will need to be activated in store or over the phone.

Swap to an alternative handset

If you would like to change your handset this can be arranged and any early termination costs will be waived. Any device repayment charges paid for the Galaxy Note 7 will also be refunded. Should you choose to recontract with a Galaxy S7 Edge, you will also receive a $100 goodwill credit.

Staff at your local Telstra store can help you with the handset change or you can call us on 1800 006 834. We’re available 8am-8pm.

Samsung Galaxy Note9

The Camera. Reimagined.

Find out more