CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
JER
Level 4: Private Eye

Samsung Galaxy S3

OK, so the Galaxy S3 has been announced. Is this going to be one of those devices that Telstra rushes to market, a la the iPhone 4S? Also, I note that the LTE specs just say "regional". Does that mean we might be seeing an LTE version sooner rather than later, or even straight away? It's going to be a popular device; I can imagine many customers clammering to get their hands on one.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
tone_the_bone
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3

I want one now! iPhone is done.
Level 22: Superhuman

I think it'd be smarter for Samsung to hold off releasing a 1800MHz LTE compatible model of the Galaxy S III, until the early adopters' demand (in spite of the lack of ‘4G’ capability) has been sated and plateaus, before releasing a 4G version locally, and generating more new sales as the I-must-have-the-latest-and-greatest crowd dump their handsets on eBay and buying the ‘enhanced’ model. No skin off the manufacturer's nose, while increasing reported market penetration figures. There is more revenue to be squeezed out of the market that way.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Level 21: Augmented

@Drat

The way you think is evil. You should be my accountant.
Lathania

@Drat wrote:

I think it'd be smarter for Samsung to hold off releasing a 1800MHz LTE compatible model of the Galaxy S III, until the early adopters' demand (in spite of the lack of ‘4G’ capability) has been sated and plateaus, before releasing a 4G version locally, and generating more new sales as the I-must-have-the-latest-and-greatest crowd dump their handsets on eBay and buying the ‘enhanced’ model. No skin off the manufacturer's nose, while increasing reported market penetration figures. There is more revenue to be squeezed out of the market that way.

Kudos because this is really how they think..... God we are such suckers Smiley Happy

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Level 21: Augmented

@Ben_F wrote:

God we are such suckers Smiley Happy

only have to look at the way Apple play the game to know that

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Akuma
Level 5: Eagle Eye

If Telstra released the SGS3 4G version only, they would be just slightly silly. The SGS2 4G has practically the same specs as the 3 4G.

They should replace the SGS2 4g with the SGS3 4g, and release the standard SGS3 along side it, give users a choice!
maverick_john
Level 5: Eagle Eye

@Akuma wrote:
If Telstra released the SGS3 4G version only, they would be just slightly silly. The SGS2 4G has practically the same specs as the 3 4G.

They should replace the SGS2 4g with the SGS3 4g, and release the standard SGS3 along side it, give users a choice!

Nah its similar specd to the one xl.

phil01

Many years as a optus customer but decided next g this time, my gosh the service is so much worse at telstra, no stock and yet every non telstra has plenty stock . I did suspect this but thought maybe telstra would be beyter these days - wrong
Tempted to just buy another optus one
Golden grove sa is way of the pace and talking next week for stock O . M. G
phil01

4g will use way more battery power is what ive read
wdtvandsound
Level 11: Detective

You Know it's not a Telstra 1800MHz capable LTE 4G phone....... you will most likly have to wait till next year.

The wheels at Samsung on 1800MHz Capable LTE 4G phones turn slowly!!! Don't hold your breath.

If you want the 4G..... Get the Samsung Galaxy SII 4G.

BUT.....

On the 4th of June, I was told by a Telstra support tech that I had pressed heavily, that the Android 4.0.8 had been delivered to Telstra from Samsung in the past week (very slow) for the Samsung Galaxy SII 4G, GT-I9210T.

The Telstra modifications and shake down will take to the end of June, all going well with the shake down testing for call drop outs and regional reception reliability, but more importantly the software up date reducing the 4G LTE rundown of the battery!!!

If you go in to settings, then Mobile network, Network mode and turn from the "LTE,"(4G) to "WCDMA (3G)only" that will save on average 30% in battery use!!!

Samsung, why so slow at giving it to Telstra!!!

I'm not a Telstra employee.
I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit