Highlighted
Itnavigate
Level 4: Private Eye

Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm LTE Availability in Australia

I am wondering if Telstra will supporting this watch, and also if it will work with One Number.

I realise that the watch was only announced on August 9th, but so was the Note 9, and Telstra already have pre-order deals in place for that, but no mention of the Watch.

When Apple announced their watch, Telstra were right on the ball, and if I recall correctly, announced e-SIM and One Number support at the same time.

On paper, and going by reviews of the Gear S3 Frontier LTE, it is the perfect watch for me.

So, :
When can I order it?
When can I get it?
Will One Number be offered?
Will it be on a plan or outright purchase?
Colin Manning

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
36 REPLIES 36
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm LTE Availability in Australia

The new Galaxy Watch hasn't even made it to the Samsung site yet (unlike the Tab S4 & Note9), so you'll have to wait a little longer for details. The only thing that we really know at the moment is that it is currently due for release in Australia on 4th October 2018.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Itnavigate

Can you at least tell me if Telstra is on of the carriers that Samsung have been negotiating with?
Or is Australia going to miss out on Samsung's second LTE watch?
As you may have gathered, I keen to be an early adopter.
Colin Manning

Unfortunately you're not going to find out that information until it is announced. All that stuff is commercial in confidence territory.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Ben831
Level 3: Gumshoe

Regardless of the watch, will Telstra have One Number support?

Don't get too excited about the Galaxy Watch yet, the only references to 3G bands that I can see on it are for 900/2100MHz. Haven't seen anything about LTE Bands yet.

If it gets released here, you can almost guarantee that it will have One Number (eSIM) support, otherwise it will be unusable. I doubt Samsung will release it here without getting that sorted first.
Ben831

The Samsung Australia site mentions the Galaxy Watch as being 4G, not 3G

https://www.samsung.com/au/wearables/galaxy-watch-r800/

If you look at the specs, that model is actually the bluetooth only model.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Itnavigate,

At this stage, there is no information that Telstra will be selling any new smartwatch options. 

Products that are currently available can be found here: https://accessories.telstra.com.au/products

These options are also only available to be purchased outright. 

If any further information becomes available for new products, this will be updated via the accessories page as well as posted on our Social Media channels. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Itnavigate

@IvanS wrote:

Hi @Itnavigate,

At this stage, there is no information that Telstra will be selling any new smartwatch options. 

That is a bit of a shame.

I'm not really sure why this thread is downplaying the LTE capabilities of the Galaxy Watch.

During the launch at Unpacked, They touted the LTE capabilities. The also mentioned that 30 countries would be supporting the LTE version.

I presume that neither @IvanS nor @Jupiter are Telstra policy makers, but a simple official acknowledgment of either yes or no as to indicate that Telstra will or will not be supporting the new Samsung Galaxy Watch, and hence will not, or will only support the Apple watch would help decision making for Telstra customers.

I actually thought that Australia was fairly high up on the consumption of technology list, and that Telstra was also high up as a technology provider.

The lack of knowledge and interest displayed regarding the Galaxy Watch (Compared to the quick acknowledgement and announcement of the Watch 3 support), along with the downplay of the LTE capabilities indicates that Telstra are not going to support the LTE version of this watch. Not to mention that  we haven't had any of Samsung's earlier LTE watches in Australia.

That indicates to me that Telstra is far to interested in, and influenced by, Apple.

That also, is a bit of a shame.

Colin Manning

You haven't heard anything about Samsung's previous LTE capable watches as they didn't release them in Australia (due to them not being compatible with any of the Australian networks).

Telstra won't be able to give a yes or no until the devices are released by Samsung in Australia (supposedly in early October if it happens at all if the rumours are to be believed).
Itnavigate

Thanks for the reply @Jupiter.

Now I understand that it Samsung with the foot on the hose.

Initially, I want to know if I should by the Note 9 and get the offer 512GB for the price of 128. Missed that boat. *Shrug*.

I now know that I should still have a phone with the LTE version of the watch (If it gets here), But I'll have to wait for the Ocean Blue Note 9 512GB to come back in stock :-(.

Again, Thanks for your help @Jupiter. If I get anything useful from Samsung, I'll reply here.

Colin Manning
Itnavigate

WooHoo!!!!

https://www.samsung.com/au/wearables/galaxy-watch-r805/

Now, which plans?
Colin Manning

You actually do have to have a phone with the LTE watch, otherwise you won't be able to get it connected to the network (it works the same way as the Apple Watch - needs to be connected to the same plan as your main phone and you need to pair it to the phone first, then you can use it minus the phone).

Big killer for me is that it doesn't have 700MHz LTE, that means the coverage is not going to be great for people who live outside of major population centres (plus it won't work in pico cells, which operate on 700MHz).
Itnavigate

Watch supports :
3G UMTS : B1(2100),B5(850),B8(900)
4G LTE : B1(2100),B3(1800),B5(850),B7(2600),B8(900),B20(800)
I live rural, but within sight of a 1800MHz Telstra tower. I also appreciate that I may need to use my phone when the Watch is out of mobile range. But hey, it is a price I'm prepared to pay as an early adopter (AKA Geek)

I also found that business plans are supported now for One Number. Also a big YAY!!
Colin Manning
Ben831

Any idea when Telstra is going to announce the Samsung Galaxy Watch?

Even Samsung's website says that the 4G is only available with Telstra plan.

https://www.samsung.com/au/wearables/galaxy-watch-r805/
Itnavigate

Ben831

Thanks, so $5/m for eSim.

I guess it is better for me to order from Samsung directly. With promo code, you get free Duo Galaxy charger.
Recieved code via registering with Samsung to be notified about watch. Also you can use Samsung Pay twice to recieve a promo code.
Itnavigate

Damn, I registered earlier with Samsung for notification (Oh, and Telstra) but neither notified me of the watch.

I've ordered mine through JB, but considering the $50 voucher vs $149 Dual Wireless Charger, I might have to change ...

Thanks for the notification @Ben831
Colin Manning
Itnavigate

Double Damn.

Samsung have sold out of the 46mm 4G version already :-( Was looking forward to the Dual Charger
Colin Manning
95SKY
Level 1: Cadet

It was back in stock yesterday, I ended up with the redemption code for the duo charger. Cant wait for it to arrive next week!

Ben831

Yeah out of stock over the weekend, but in stock for a short while yesterday afternoon. Managed to get one. 

I'd wait it out a little longer to see if more stock arrives, otherwise preorder this weekend to still take advantage of JB Hifi $50 voucher.

Any idea when Telstra will list the eSim compatibility for the Galaxy Watch & I am assuming recent Galaxy Phones? Would like to have it working day 1 if possible.

Ben831

Itnavigate

Got 1!! Watch and duo. I too can't wait.
Colin Manning
Itnavigate

I had a call from Telstra today after I followed the instructions here : https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Business-Plans-Rates/Telstra-One-Number-on-Business-Account/m..., only to be told that they can't set up One Number for Samsung watches, only Apple. So I have no chance of getting going on day one.

They said that they won't be able to do anything until the watch is released.
@Ben831, let me know if you find anything different please.
Colin Manning
Itnavigate

But I just found this post where Nicholas Broomfield, GM of mobiles at Telstra, says it should be working.
https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/647395/telstra-detail-pricing-lte-samsung-galaxy-watch/

Now I don't know how to proceed.
Colin Manning
mdsic
Level 2: Rookie

I now have my galaxy watch (LTE)., I've confirmed that one number is activated on my service, but when attempting to link the watch to the network via the setup it says ' your service is not eligible.'
Ive called customer service and they have no idea and only advise active Connections for Apple iwatch. They have acknowledged that one number is active on my account.
Am i to assume Telstra will enable this tomorrow, the 4th which is the Samsung published release?
Ben831

Will be interesting to see. My watch is on board for delivery today also. I have not activated my eSim as yet with Telstra.

I remember reading an older article (cant remember where) that said the eSim will be available a week or so after the Galaxy Watch release. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

...First world problems...

mdsic

I now have it working on a sim card that's a consumer account. Seems mine is a business account (a different account)., that's where the problem seems
Ben831

So on the phone with Telstra, they said that I cannot connect my Galaxy Watch with Telstra unless purchased through Telstra.... That is some BS considering everyone selling it (JB, HN & Samsung) said compatible with Telstra Post Paid plans.... which I have... & I have the Note 9.

Let the fun & games begin
Ben831

Now Telstra Technical support are saying that Telstra will not support Samsung Galaxy Watch...
mdsic

It is BS. I Recieved mine today from Samsung direct and it's activated. Consumer account
Ben831

So does that mean you cant connect to a business account? That is even more BS.

How did you change over to a consumer account? I have 12 months left on Business contract
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Telstra One Number is only supported on consumer plans, you can discuss getting it transferred to a 13 digit account number but it would result in any current contract being terminated and any device fees being charged.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

mdsic

mdsic

Colin here's some news
1. Works brilliant on LTE, connected One In 45 seconds.
2. I've had a gear frontier which was great, but this new device will be 5x better. After one full day and LTE use battery went to 70%.
3. It's a massive improvement on an already great platform and performs great on Telstra's network
Itnavigate

@Ben831, @mdsic,

I got mine delivered yesterday, and activated today on a Business account.

All works sweet, just need to get BT headset to pair to both watch and phone, and switch automagically.

Colin Manning

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now