Highlighted
Markies
Level 2: Rookie

Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm LTE SMS not working with Telstra One

I received the Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm LTE via Samsung preorder, and have successfully registered for Telstra One.

Receiving and making calls and SMS works if the watch is operating via Bluetooth connected to my Galaxy Note 8 on the Telstra network. However, when I disconnect my mobile/turn off Bluetooth, and the watch purely relies on the Telstra network (LTE), I can only make/receive calls, and SMS sending/receiving does not work, it simply says Network unavailable.

I have tried resetting the watch, and resetting the mobile network to no avail.

Is this function supported with the Samsung Galaxy Watch, is it a technical issue?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
34 REPLIES 34
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm LTE SMS not working with Telstra One

I wonder if the SMS center number has been set in the Watch?
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MalibuSam
Level 1: Cadet

I think you need to set up a Samsung account on your watch.

try that

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Markies,

Just to clarify, If your mobile is switched on, the smartwatch will receive SMS however if the mobile is off, then the smartwatch will not receive SMS or MMS

In saying that, you've not explicitly said that you turn your phone off, just that you disconnect from Bluetooth. Have you spoken to our Support Teams so they can check on the registration of the Telstra One Number?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Xdiavel

Got exactly the same issue with wife's 42mm, "network unavailable" when sending text and no sms come through in standalone mode

Russ779
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi
I am experiencing the same problem. Is there any fix to this yet?
I can call and sms when connected to my phone, but if I turn my phone off, or am away from the phone I can not sms from the watch. I can still make calls though.
When I try to sms it says network unavailable
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Russ779.

Sorry to hear that you are having these issues. 

To restore your service, please call us on 132 200 and say "mobile assurance". Our Mobile tech support team will need to do some investigation to see what is causing the issue where you can still call but not send sms's.

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Support Team
Support Team

@Russ779 How did you go with our tech support team? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Russ779

Hi Jesse

i phoned them and they said the watch is unable to connect to sms without the phone being connected. I said ok and decided to investigate further. I was with the impression the watch would operate without the phone for calls and txt, however after further investigation I have since found out I was wrong.

if anyone finds an app or something that is compatible with the watch to be able to make and receive sms without the phone I’d like to know. It is the main reason I bought the watch.

thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Russ779

Your phone will need to remain on and connected to the Telstra Mobile Network in order for SMS functionality to operate with Telstra One Number.

You should still have this working if you're simply out of range of your phone.

Out of interest, do you lose functionality for both calls and SMS if you're out of range of your phone but your phone is still turned on?

Russ779

Hi

my phone always remains on and connected to Telstra. Whilst I am within Bluetooth range of the phone, I can call and sms from my watch.

when I am out of Bluetooth range, or if I turn Bluetooth off on the phone, I cannot send sms from the watch. I can still make calls though.

Am I doing something wrong?

thanks heaps for trying to help me with this

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for letting us know, I recommend speaking with our mobile technical support team about this. You can find them online via Live Chat here or over the phone on 13 22 00.

Please let me know how you go.

ScreenName14

I have the exact same issue - word for word. Make calls fine when the phone is disconnected or off, but can only sms (send or receive) when connected. I also do not have the ability to receive data (check e-mails) on the watch when not connected to the phone via Bluetooth

I called Telstra who told me they have never come across this issue and, after checking my account, they said everything looks fine and put me on to Samsung. Samsung has suggested I send the watch back to them to review it and (if necessary) repair.

Seems ridiculous the phone needs to be switched on for SMS - that's why I bought the LTE, so if my phone battery dies I can still use sms/call - otherwise why bother?
ScreenName14

Ok i have "solved" the problem on my watch - disconnect the bluetooth on the phone (leave the phone on) and send an SMS to anyone from the watch - also have someone send a msg to you (i used the same person) - give it 5-10 minutes and the watch should connect to the network and then you should be up and running

BS the phone needs to remain on though - this is very limiting and in my opinion defies the very point - why have a stand alone device if you can't use it when the main device is out of action - hope this is a temporary oversight that can be fixed with an update
Russ779

Great, thanks for the update! I’ll do the same tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
KPEN1

I am having the exact same issue. I have not tested the calls - I'm at work today, but simple SMS when I disconnect from Bluetooth is not working on LTE. I picked up the new phone from Telstra yesterday. Could it be something to do with me setting up Telstra One last night...but the consultant in the store suggesting I didn't need to pay the $5pm for a few months, and so I've forced the Telstra One or something, which is why it's not working properly?
Russ779

I’m still having no luck.

i can make calls but no sms when Bluetooth is off on the phone

Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi Russ779,  have you tested what ScreenName14 suggested?

Russ779

Unfortunately no.

i turned Bluetooth off, sent a txt from the watch to my other phone. It just said network unavailable. I then got the other phone and sent a txt to my mobile that I have connected to my watch (Bluetooth still off) and the message sent and received on the phone but it wasn’t received by the watch. I haven’t opened the message yet in case that plays some kind of role in things.

Technical Support
Technical Support

How long ago did you test this out?

Russ779

Three weeks ago, Friday, and today again just to make sure, prior to replying you.

I even turned the automatic switching off and kept the phones mobile signal as ON always. Still no luck

So, mobile networks always on
mobile data ON
roaming off
network mode auto
network operators is select automatically and says I’m registered on network
access point names is missing info like proxy, port, username, password etc maybe that’s an issue?
Russ779

Three weeks ago, Friday, and today again just to make sure, prior to replying you.

I even turned the automatic switching off and kept the phones mobile signal as ON always. Still no luck

So, mobile networks always on
mobile data ON
roaming off
network mode auto
network operators is select automatically and says I’m registered on network
access point names is missing info like proxy, port, username, password etc maybe that’s an issue?
Itslui

I too have the same issue. Calls work fine.

Messages only work if the phone is still on and connected to Telstra. Notification pops up saying connected to watch remotely.

Can someone from Telstra please respond with a solution or if a fix is coming. I want to use my watch LTE with no dependency on my phone.
I believe the main issue may be is that there is no message centre input setting on the watch.
Telstra clearly advertise that you can use calls and sms with Telstra one number without your phone so I expect a a solution
Itslui

Just got off the phone with Telstra Mobile assurance. all they said was this is an issue with samsung and not telstra as the service works fine with the apple watch.

this is not good enough. you advertise a service and you should provide it.
Russ779

I also believe it is a setting in the watch that is incorrect. I don’t know what exactly to change it to

Itslui

so after chatting with both Telstra and Sumsung for the last two days there is no update to give except that i will be sending the watch back to sumsung today for "inspection."

the telstra support team were very honest and said that they have NOT been trained correctly on the galaxy watch and do not know what the fix is.  both samsung and telstra confirmed that the SMS should work with the phone off.

i believe the SMS Centre number is missing from the watch and something that needs to be added and this needs to be in collaboration between Telstra and samsung.

Telstra also need to test and QA their advertised services prior to bringing to market.  i had the watch all for 5 days.

Russ779

Please let me know how you get on. This function was the only reason why I got the watch and changed my provider to Telstra.

i did have a funny thing happen yesterday. I actually got a txt to the watch while it wasn’t connected via Bluetooth. But the txt wasn’t for me, it wasn’t sent to my phone number so it didn’t go to my phone. If was for a random other person.

so this suggests that the watch has the wrong settings applied as it can actually receive sms

Itslui

i had a weird thing happen to.  over the countless times i reset the watch and tried again, one time the watch had its own mobile number.  when i sent a test sms, the receiver had a random number come up on their phone from the message i sent.  my phone was also off.

this is telling me more and more that its a telstra issue, however samsung wanted the watch back so i will send it. but telstra need to do their own work in the background also to help us all out.

MattBoyd

After bouncing between Telstra and Samsung Helpdesks I was provided the following information from Samsung.

Although not perfect I can now send and receive SMS from phone when not connected by Bluetooth.

"Hi Matthew,

Telstra One number only handles the calling aspect from the watch. You are able to make and receive calls as the call forwarding is done at the network level.

With regards to SMS functionality, this should also work when connected to 4G but there are a few other conditions that need to be met in order for this to work.

1. Samsung account must be configured and working in the Galaxy Wearable app on the phone
2. You must use the native Messages app as your default SMS app (not Facebook messenger or others)
3. Ensure that Remote Connection is switched on. This is found in the Galaxy Wearable app under settings – watch connection
4. IMPORTANT – your phone must be switched on and connected to the Telstra network.

The most important factor here is your phone must be switched on and connected. Essentially how the service works is that the phone will receive the SMS message and will forward the SMS to the watch over the internet. If your phone is switched off or has not network access, it will not be able to receive and send the SMS to the watch.

This is something you can test fairly easily. Have your phone and watch side by side and connected via Bluetooth. Then turn off Bluetooth in your quick settings on the phone. This will prompt the watch to establish a 4G connection. Once the watch is connected to 4G, ask someone to send you a SMS message to your phone. You should see the SMS arrive on your phone. Then a few moments later, the SMS should be delivered to your watch. "
Russ779

That’s heaps for that, I’ll try it tonight
Kezza1308

Hi, I have 2 Samsung Galaxy 42mm ordered from Telstra online. One works perfectly standalone with no problems. The other has the same issue you describe. I contacted Samsung and they say it is a Telstra issue. Telstra told me it is a Samsung issue. Gaarrgghhhh. Taking the watch into local Telstra Shop tomorrow and hoping for a new one.
Russ779

Let me know how you get on please. I still have no luck. It’s a pity Telstra techs are not keen to look into this

DriscollDavid

We can't paste photos here's can we. I've had a similar problem since the day it came out and we worked out the phone had to be on as discussed above.
Today I couldn't send messages watch is in standalone mode 2/4 bars slowing in 4G, phone on (I used it to take a photo of the screen)
DriscollDavid

And FYI, your watch has a unique phone number attached to it. The day I got the watch I started getting text messages (only on the watch) for EasyPay reminders, dole payments etc - took it back and they 'reset' it but I saw on the screen that the phone number for the watch was never to be given to the customer
vooharmy

I had this exact same problem and basically it boils down to watch not remote connecting with phone. I have a pixel 2 and culprit was SMS chat feature in pixel. Turned this off and everything works as intended

Samsung Galaxy Note9

The Camera. Reimagined.

Find out more