Highlighted
Flipjonson
Level 2: Rookie

Samsung Galaxy s5

Answered

Anyone holding out for the s5?

Seems to be plenty of leaks already, and we should know the final product by the end of the month:

Interesting that there might be a cheaper plastic version and more expensive metal version, like the iphone 5c and 5s.

samsung galaxy s5

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
gintekram01
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Samsung Galaxy s5

The Samsung GALAXY S5 and wearables are now available across the Telstra store network and online:

Personal Customers:

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobiles-on-a-plan/samsung-galaxy-s5/index.htm

(Samsung wearable currently not available online)

Business Customers:

https://www.telstra.com.au/online-shop/business/business-phone-product.cfm?device=samsung-galaxy-s5&...

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
Lyon

Was about to post about this after seeing the official event invitation around Twitter today.

Have heard about the rumors and the event invitation today from Samsung is definitely pointing towards the s5! I guess it won't be long anymore to find out. Hope there's a game changer?

Redmouse

Yeah, seems like their game changer is going to be the phone scanner and improved battery life. Hopefully, now I don't have to carry a spare battery around with me anymore!
Lyon

@Redmouse wrote:
Yeah, seems like their game changer is going to be the phone scanner and improved battery life. Hopefully, now I don't have to carry a spare battery around with me anymore!

I thought it would be easier to just carry a portable battery charger? Smiley Happy

Redmouse

Good Point! I haven't usually gone for the easiest option!

Well hopefully I'll just hold out for for the S5 if the specs are as good as they say they are
Redmouse

So it seems like it’s confirmed. The Samsung S5 is going to be unveiled on the 24TH of February in Barcelona. Rumour roundup below:

• Eye Scanner- I think this is Samsung’s game changer and will definitely be incorporated into the S5. Apple seems to have no equivalent feature to this, so if Samsung is able to utilize this type of technology they will definitely win over my interest!
  • Size- 40% Thinner than the S4. Probably the thing I am happiest about
  • Battery life- This seems like a certainty. With the number of apps we have these days, Samsung is almost certainly going to do something to address the battery life.
  • 5.25 Inch Screen- This also seems like a lock. I’m glad they have settled on this, because any bigger would have made the phone completely impractical.
  • 21 MP Camera- This would be outstanding for a mobile. I think just a 16 MP camera is more likely. What do you guys think?
  • 2 Versions- This is very likely. I may choose the plastic version (budget depending) although the metal one seems rather stylish…
  • 2560 X 1440 resolution display- This is going to make the Samsung the highest resolution mobile on the market, although is it potentially too good to be true?
  • Other- Lifetime diary apps/2.5 ghz processor. What else is there to know?

Flipjonson

With a significantly improved battery (the next smartphone battleground) this will be the perfect phone!

Redmouse

With the Samsung close to launch, it seems like the good news is that it definately will have a better camera and a trimmer design. Somehow it will also have wireless charging, I don't know how that will actually work but I certainly look forward to it!

It seems that the Samsung will also launch with a 64GB version. I really hope it does, just so I can have all my music & videos AND Apps Smiley Happy

Anea

Hi there,

Good comments about Galaxy S5.Redmouse I liked your summary it really helped me with the information I'm looking for.

It's incredible how the evolution of the technology put a loyal costumer

in doubts about their favourite product. I have been having this conversation with my best friend 

and to be honest we have been loyal to Apple. But there's a point in where the product

still developing more and more attributes to technology but they don't concentrate

about the actual problem and yes I'm talking about the battery life.

I know loads of people that have the same issue and have to take their chargers everywhere with them.

As for example. One time I saw a girl on the female public toilets of Westfield charging her phone.

Does that means that the future will be about charging our devices in every corner?.

Regarding to the rumours about Galaxy S5 I'm already loving it! It completely fills my expectations.

To begin, the metal case is a total new change for Galaxy but having 2 versions (plastic and metal)  

definitely contribute with the taste of the previous clients and the new ones, the size apparently

will be thinner than the previous version which is great.

The 21MP of the camera is another important point because nowadays people prefer

their mobile phones to capture the special moments more than using a pocket camera,

if the rumours about 64 bit chip are true it will make Galaxy a direct competitor of Apple,

life battery will also be better than iphone 5s and iphone 6.

Finally and the most exciting rumour mill currently indicates that the Galaxy S5 will have

an ultra-high-resolution screen (possibly 2560×1440), an all-new aluminium chassis,

and possibly some kind of biometric scanner (fingerprint or retina). 

If the Galaxy S5 is unveiled in Barcelona, it will probably be released some time in March 4,

I can't wait to try the new Galaxy S5 but the early and expected release of the year

will be an advantage for Apple because they will have more time to work on offering better attributes

than Samsung. But as I mentioned before I already made my decision

about trying Galaxy S5 this year and hopefully my next post will be about

my experience with Galaxy S5.

Anea

One of the new Samsung Galaxy S5 rumour that has repeatedly resurfaced

is the potential introduction of an integrated fingerprint scanner.

While it had previously been suggested that the phone would feature a biometric sensor

within its display. The fingerprint scanner will be situated within the phone's physical home button.

How cool!  

Rikk

Yes, Anea your are right, Samsung unveiled Monday its new flagship Galaxy S5 smartphone

armed with a fingerprint scanner and a built-in heart rate sensor to defend its place

as the world's industry leader.

Specs:

.light sensor on the back 

.Plastic case but it is water and dust-proof, and has a leathery feel on the back.

.An extreme battery-saving mode 2800mAh battery

.5.1-inch full HD Super AMOLED display

.Android 4.4 KitKat

.Qualcomm 2.5GHz quad-core processor

.16GB or 32GB of storage

.16-megapixel rear camera/2.1-megapixel front camera

.21-band 4G LTE

With the Galaxy S5, "Samsung is going back to basics to focus on delivering the capabilities

that matter most to our consumers," said Samsung mobile division chief J.K. Shin,

who presented the device in an event that featured a musical prelude by a live orchestra.

Flipjonson

Initial reviews have been good, looks like Samsung has built on what worked with the s4 Smiley Wink

GalaxyS5_500_portrait.jpg

+1's from me - 

• 4K video recording
  • non-plastic back (never a fan of the glossy plastic hardware from Samsung TBH)
  • Fingerprint scanner that does more than unlock your phone! 

Initial Review Links:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/10657808/Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Fit-and-Gear-hands-on-revie...

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s5-1226990/review

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/24/5441668/samsung-galaxy-s5-announcement-launch

tim1954
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Ip67 waterproof is useful given the slippery finish off the current phones they make! It will be fun to take off for a swim, or on a dive boat...
ChrisQuin

No, a portable battery charger takes time to recharge the phone, but a spare battery give you a fully charged phone immediately. Which is why a phone with a non-removable battery is a deal breaker for me !!!
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

You're lucky that Samsung still uses removable batteries then.  The new case will be harder to take off and put back on though.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
wdtvandsound
Level 11: Detective

Pull the battery is the fastest way to do a re-boot or power cycle a phone when a phone locks up just like a PC!

I'm not a Telstra employee.
I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.
Goldie-Margot
Level 1: Cadet

When should we expect delivery of this new phone?  I believe we should have had it by now!

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Goldie-Margot, 

It hasn't been released by Samsung yet. Register your interest here: http://tel.st/stayinformed and we'll send you all the details when they are available

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

gintekram01
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

The Samsung GALAXY S5 and wearables are now available across the Telstra store network and online:

Personal Customers:

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobiles-on-a-plan/samsung-galaxy-s5/index.htm

Business Customers:

https://www.telstra.com.au/online-shop/business/business-phone-product.cfm?device=samsung-galaxy-s5&...

tim1954
Level 13: Super Sleuth

I'm keen to get that charging pad, it's a pain in the butt trying to plug in the silly USB thing with the plug flapping around... The apples lot have a much better solution....
alenawilson
Level 1: Cadet

Some of the significant features of this device that makes it one of the best handset available in the market are Fingerprint scanner, heart rate sensor, waterproof and dust proof fearture, Kids mode, private mode, download booster, MIMO technology etc..........

http://www.informationbible.com/article-have-the-fun-of-raining-water-with-waterproof-galaxy-s5-devi...

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now