CrowdSupport®
Pennz
Level 3: Gumshoe

Samsung S7 VoLTE

Answered

I received my S7 via Telstra online perfectly.. transfer of my current service was seemless and I commend Telstra on that!  Within a couple of days a symbol with VoLTE came up on my notifications area.  I was intrigued what this was and researched all about it.  Pretty vague info here in Aus, but some interesting stuff about it in the USA.

So - it basically means that my PHONE CALLS will use 4G.  OK - that's cool.  Until I go to make a call.... I can hear the other party fine, but my voice breaks up constantly and they can not hear any full words.. breaking in and out like a digital signal issue.  I've also since discovered that it uses your DATA allowance for the calls.. this is terrible and should be changed asap Telstra.

Absoluely NOWHERE on the phone settings can I turn this off or have any control over VoLTE.  Even by searching the user manual or using S Finder absolutely nothing under even "LTE".  The closest I got to anything relevant was via the settings -> Mobile networks -> Access Point names.  I knew ims setting was for VoLTE, but my setting was on Testra Internet - which it needed apparently.  I didn't want to change to ims because I was trying to get rid of it!

Went into the Telstra store at Knox City and spoke to Dan - who was very helpful and seemed to know what to do.  It was new to him, but he'd seen the option in the account or network settings.  But within a couple of moments he realised that it was not turned on anyway and shouldn't be on my phone.  After half an hour of problem-solving he suggested that because Telstra don't actually have it turned on - it can't be in the network, so maybe try Samsung.

So... I call Samsung and although Jasmine was trying to help she didn't understand that it was turned OFF on the network.  She'd explained a couple of people had the same problem over the last couple of days and they pushed it to Telstra's issue.  So - never-ending circle of frustration!

Dan did suggest that I change my settings back to 3G/2G (Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Network mode) because the VoLTE uses 4G.

So after hours of frustration I'm back onto 3G settings which now means the VoLTE no longer appears on my notifications bar and my calls are back to being clear.

Until Telstra OR Samsung sort this issue out and it becomes more common I guess I'm stuck on 3G.  Very annoying considering 4G is awesome.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so could you get rid of it?  I want my 4G, but can't turn it on because of this ridiculously awful call quality with VoLTE.

Thanks everyone.

Penny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GCrane1982
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: Samsung S7 VoLTE

If you want to disable VoLTE on your handset download activity launcher from the play store once installed select All Acrivites from the dropdown menu, once loaded scroll down and select/launch the IMS Settings. Under the first menu option titles 'IMS service switch' turn off all settings.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
Cam71

Apparently the XSA version of the firmware does not do VoLTE. I hate it. It should have an option switch. Poor form Samsung and Telstra.
Cam71

Ok, the latest XSA version kills the Samsung S Health app functionality - in particular no heart rate monitor capability.
Septimus22
Level 1: Cadet

I have the exact same problem with my S7 edge. I can hear them on the line fine, but I am breaking up to them.

I had an online chat a few days ago and they said they they logged a case for Telstra to turn off VoLTE but it's still not off.  

Looks like this is a common issue, common Telstra turn off VoLTE or give us the option to turn it off and on without  having to sacrifice 4G.

Nick181

This is an absolutely horrible outcome!

I have exactly the same happen on my S7 at the moment...for clarity, there is nothing we can do?!

I have tried to move to 2G / 3G and still no ability to make calls.

the_scotsman_

If it's still happening when you switch to 2G/3G only, then it's not VoLTE causing the issue.

You can call Telstra and have them disable VoLTE for your account.

SmashTash

I got my new S7 today. I have this issue.
My Mum got her S7 a couple of months ago and doesnt have this issue.
If I am paying for a 4G phone I expect to be able to use 4G
Adza75

I've just updated my S6 firmware to 6.0.1 and VoLTE is now active. I must say I'm left unimpressed with the bad quality of VoLTE calls including robotic sounds and "broken up" calls. 

Quite disappointed you can't turn it off.

lesp666

I was wondering what it was also until reading this post. If u do what pennz said towards the bottom i noticed when i turned back to 3g/2g my phone reception bars went right up but when u go back to the 4g/3g/2g u will only get 1 bar of reception. So o dont think ill ever be using it and im thinking this mite be the issue to bad phone calls
GCrane1982
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

If you want to disable VoLTE on your handset download activity launcher from the play store once installed select All Acrivites from the dropdown menu, once loaded scroll down and select/launch the IMS Settings. Under the first menu option titles 'IMS service switch' turn off all settings.
Far_Ken
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks champ.
Confirmed this worked on Galaxy S7. Took less than 2 mins.
bobinclg

Thanks GCrane1982. Downloaded Activity launcher and disabled all settings under IMS service switch. All on my S7 now.
bobinclg

Should have read "All good on my S7 now" !!!
Mauarman

Confirmed good solution
Bgmell

On Samsung S7, GO to Settings, Connections, then Mobile Networks, scroll down and disable VOLTE
nissky

Thanks GCrane! This has fixed my crackling voice issue without having to turn off 4g!

Mandi65

Thank you so much for posting the instructions for removing VoLTE It just appeared on my phone yesterday I had no idea what it was or how it got there and after reading pennz story on how it operates I'm super relieved that there is a way of getting rid of it
So Here's to you GCrane1982 you saved my recharge and my Data 👍👍👍
dean1dj

@GCrane1982 wrote:

This used to work until the last update. Now the app and the others like it all crash 2/3 of the way through loading.

Sucks because my calls drop out all the time now.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@dean1dj

We're able to remove this at the account level for you via our Tech Team as well. You can give them a call on 125111 to arrange this.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

dean1dj

Awesome thank you
nissky

Still works for me, just reapplied after the phone software update.
Elis1

Thanks Bgmell This is the easiest solution 👍
reubenfarrelly

VoLTE does not use your normal data allowance - if it did then those people who don't have any data allowance would not be able to use their phones to make calls!

I have been using VoLTE for some months now, and the voice call quality is much clearer and better quality than without it enabled.  I haven't had any issues with it, and I suspect that the vast majority of people are using it successfully.  If it was that bad, Telstra would surely have stopped rolling it out by now.......

Secco

When I go to mobile networks, I don't have any options about VOLTE.

Also, whole VOLTE is on, I do not have any data. I can not use anything on my phone that needs data.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Secco, I would definitely recommend speaking with our tech team on 125111 to investigate this further.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now