Grrr1958
Level 2: Rookie

Stop home devices connecting to Telstra Air

My devices routinely try to connect to Telstra Air when I'm at home, and often fail, so I have to manually select the actual WiFi networks at home.  Annoying because it's not always obvious that's the problem, there is a WiFi icon showing on the phone, you think you're connected but not really.   

I have Telstra Gateway, so the Telstra Air connection I'm talking about is from my own router, not an external hotspot

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Stop home devices connecting to Telstra Air

there should be settings in your devices to 

1. stop them from connecting to open networks

2. forget the telstra air network so it stops auto connecting

3. All of the above

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Grrr1958

Hi and thanks for the suggestions.

Can't find any option to disable open networks - hunted high and low (Samsung Galaxy 7, Android 6.0.1)

I don't want to forget Telstra Air, since it's supposed to be the way I can access broadband at Telstra hot spots, which is the reason I agreed to sign up to Telstra Air in the first place.

On Android devices go to settings /Wi-Fi long tap on Telstra Air SSID and tap on Forget Network

On Windows PCs Click on connection symbol in RHS status bar, click on Telstra Air SSID and untick box labeled Connect Automatically.

On IOS devices go to Settings / Wi-Fi tap on Telstra Air SSID and click on forget.

On Windows Mobile devices go to Wi-Fi Settings goto Manage  scroll down to Telstra Air tap on it and remove tick from connect automatically.

Tried to edit previous message but ran out of time.

Also IOS and Android devices if you have Telstra Air app installed launch app go to settings and turn Auto Connect off.

Grrr1958

Hi, and thanks for the suggestions.  

Note that I said I didn't want to forget Telstra Air SSID, because I want to actually connect to it when I'm not at home.    No option I can see to not try to connect to open networks.

Also, the device trying to connect to Telstra Air SSID is independent of the Telstra Air app's behaviour, my phone can still try to connect to Telstra Air even with autoconnect off in the Telstra Air app.  (I'll leave aside that the autoconnect also doesn't work - not having a good experience with Telstra Air!)

Grrr1958

If I could preferentially connect to my home networks, that would solve the problem, but know of no way to do that....
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If  you "Forget" the network and only use the Telstra Air App to connect to the network, does that make any difference?

After you have done this, I would close all of the apps on your phone and restart before testing it again.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Take care of your Telstra services in one place with the Telstra 24x7® App for Android

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now