CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Tethering on telstra

Answered
I'm trying to tether my Sony z2 tablet to my s6 as my data is low on my tablet, it seems to connect fine, but then I cannot connect with the internet off the tablet, is this because of telstra settings, if so why?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Tethering on telstra

Yes that looks fine Bully. The indicator on the left of the bar indicates that you are in tether with another device and then the bluetooth indicator on the right shows that it's a bluetooth hook-up. All good to go then.

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Hello, I;m not Telstra, but have lots of industry tech experience.

I will try to assist you.   This really is a "doozy"

I have used various recent Samsungs as Hot Spots from standard Telstra sims, but only to iPads, and never had any difficulties browsing on tablets.

Have you definitely switched off  the setting for Mobile Data (on the Sony)  or the nomenclature Sony uses,  so that the Sony ONLY tries to operate ONLY on the Hot Spot....and the sim in the Sony is not competing???

If the Sony worked fine on it's own sim, connects to your Samsung Hot Spot, apart from also ensuring the Samsung has automatically disabled the Samsung Wifi to your home network,  which the Samsungs I have automatically do, I am really scratching my very old head!

It sounds like something is "competing" with the signal your Samsung Hot Spot is transmitting,  and the only thing I can think of is that the Sony is "confused" or "looking" also at it's own sim.

That's the best I can think of at this moment.

Kin regards

Professor Phone     (scratching his head!)

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted

OK Bulldogs, I've got a Samsung phone and a Sony Z2 Tqblet sitting right in front of me, so we'll walk you through the process and you can check the steps that are needed:

1: On yyour Sammy go to settings> Wireless and Networks> More settings> Tehering and portable Hotspot (To share your Sammy's mobile data connection)> Turn on Portable WiFi hotspot. If you ch3eck now you should have a new indicator in your top services bar that indicates that the Sammy is now a Tethering or shotspot device.

2: On your Sony Z2 Tablet Go into Settings>Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi- OFF.

3: On your Sony go Settings> Wireless & Networks> Bluetooth> Switch on> (You'll then see a list of paired devices, select your Sammy Phone as the device you wish to connect to, then select the cog wheel on the same line as the Sammy a small screen should come up Saying Paid devices; Name: Your Samsung Phone, then there's a line and under that use for , Internet access and a tick box, obviously you need to tap that and then the OK button at the bottom of the box and that will then allow you to access the internet on the Z2 through your Samsung phone.

Signature.gif

LATE Addition: Just remember to turn all this off again, when you get back instride with sufficient data on the Z2 again.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

Highlighted

Ok, many thanks, deanja, when I get to the final point and go to connect the internet box under s6,i tick it, it comes on and as quick then dissappears, so I'm still not, able to get in to do this, help please ta john

Ok further details, I've now managed to get the box to stay ticked, my tablet displays the wireless network symbol, not the 4 G one, so all looks fine, but I still cannot access the internet as it says no connection retry, very confusing, especially when it all looks ok, grrrr lol
Highlighted
Level 10: Junior Detective

Try using the apn settings listed in this thread on your Samsung, I've found it worked when trying to pair my z2 to my laptop, it may be a simple (yet untried) fix for your Samsung too.
http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Android/hotspot-connection-but-no-internet-access/m-p/207949#M...
Highlighted

Ok, can I just ask when your actually tethered, how do you know? Like what do I look for on my tablet, should say the wireless symbol be displayed etc john 

Highlighted

OK, Bully, been away so haven'been able to get back to you.

On both your Sammy and the Sony Z2 you should see the Bluetooth Symbol at the top of screen, the usual white looking one on the right and on the left of screen should be a blue Therthing indicator.

On your phone oc course you'll still see the 3g/4G symbol as well because you're obviously accessing the outside world via that. On the Sony you'll probably if like mine, see the 4G bar graph indicator, but it will virtually be showing nothing as a signal.

Signature.gif

Highlighted

Ah ha, I've perhaps been ok all along, I assumed on the Sony I'd have a wireless symbol, but obviously not,. It's a pity it's perhaps not easier to know it's tether ed, like an app. I did see the 4g connection but just assumed it wasn't connected, I'd hate be tethering away thinking I'm ok, but really just blowing data, thanks for the info 

Highlighted

Screenshot_2015-05-19-15-50-19.png

Highlighted

Does this screenshot, show I'm on tethering, I took it when I thought I was, just thought it might help, john
Highlighted

Bingo, Houston we have lift off. Well done my friend.

Take a screen of the sammy too so we can check that too will you?

Signature.gif

Highlighted

Screenshot_2015-05-19-18-38-57.png

Highlighted

OK, there's my screenshot of my s6 as requested, it seems I've got the hang of it, although every now and again when I go under the little wheel to tick internet, it goes no where, but looks ok, thanks all, john 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Yes that looks fine Bully. The indicator on the left of the bar indicates that you are in tether with another device and then the bluetooth indicator on the right shows that it's a bluetooth hook-up. All good to go then.

Signature.gif

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit